Dashcam that will start recording when car starts during it's shutdown?

fakej

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi,

I'm not sure whether my subject is clear enough or not. So sometimes you stop the engine, your dashcam initiates shutdown and during it's shutdown you start engine again. Most of dashcams will not start recording after the shutdown is completed. Do you know any dascham that will handle that?

We just made a firmware change to add this functionality to one of our models actually

Cameras with batteries are generally not a problem for this but have other issues

We just made a firmware change to add this functionality to one of our models actually

Cameras with batteries are generally not a problem for this but have other issues

So to which particular model you have added this functionality?
Are you planning to add it to other models as well?

we just added it to SG9665GC, I think you will find that SGZC12SG and SGZC12SS are ok for this also, the shutdown on those is super fast so they just restart anyway

for battery cams it's very easy to support this function

if you have some other camera you can also do this with a bit of time and about $10 worth of parts to build a relay to hold constant power for a short time

Reactions: Mtz
we just added it to SG9665GC, I think you will find that SGZC12SG and SGZC12SS are ok for this also, the shutdown on those is super fast so they just restart anyway

for battery cams it's very easy to support this function

if you have some other camera you can also do this with a bit of time and about $10 worth of parts to build a relay to hold constant power for a short time

Thanks for your response regarding dshcams models. Regarding $10 solution I don't understand why it should work. It will only delay the time when the camera shuts down but you can still start the engine during the shutdown and come across the same problem.

Thanks for your response regarding dshcams models. Regarding $10 solution I don't understand why it should work. It will only delay the time when the camera shuts down but you can still start the engine during the shutdown and come across the same problem.

you can setup a three wire timed circuit to hold permanent power open while the accessory power dips during startup which would normally start the shutdown process, same as what is effectively happening in a battery camera with extended shutdown delay to just keep things going as per normal until power is restored

Sorry, I'm still not following you. Your suggestion is to set up wiring so that camera is powered for some time (for example one minute) after engine stops. Is my understanding correct so far? If not you can disregard everything below if yes this is what I think:
Let's say camera shutdown takes 5 seconds.
Without your solution if I stop engine and start it again within 0-5 seconds camera will not start.
With your solution in the abovementioned scenario it'll still be recording but if I stop engine and start it in 60-65 seconds it will not work. So the problem will just occur in a different time but it won't be solved.

Sorry, I'm still not following you. Your suggestion is to set up wiring so that camera is powered for some time (for example one minute) after engine stops. Is my understanding correct so far? If not you can disregard everything below if yes this is what I think:
Let's say camera shutdown takes 5 seconds.
Without your solution if I stop engine and start it again within 0-5 seconds camera will not start.
With your solution in the abovementioned scenario it'll still be recording but if I stop engine and start it in 60-65 seconds it will not work. So the problem will just occur in a different time but it won't be solved.

the timers starts from power off time so what value do you pick, how often do you find yourself restarting at the 65 second mark

we made a different mod in firmware for the SG9665GC which will look for power after shutdown and if power is present it will restart

what camera do you use now?

the timers starts from power off time so what value do you pick, how often do you find yourself restarting at the 65 second mark
Not so often but I also usually do not restart the engine after 5 seconds. Anyway both may happen from time to time ;)

what camera do you use now?
mini 0806 and I'm quite happy with it (except for the issue this topic is about) and SJCAM5000+ (I'm considering to return it to seller because of various issues I'm struggling but haven't decided yet).

mini 0806 and I'm quite happy with it (except for the issue this topic is about)

for a camera with a battery this is quite easy to resolve, you would need to look at one of the more recent models that have firmware support though if you like this style of camera

Back