Dashcams: As seen on TV?!

ThePro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9665GC, G1WH, A118, Mobius, etc
So I was watching CNN at 3AM today and I saw an ad for a dashcam. I was pretty shocked, and hit the DVR button pretty late. It's interesting how they use the footage of the guy who crashed with the police van. I really doubt the guy they "interview" is the actual person, and the dashcam he used as that one.

It's a shame it's probably not "full hd" as they claim, at least not for the price which they claim to sell it at. Would love to see someone review one of these.

EDIT: Found the whole ad

LOL, looks like they translated the chinese propaganda to English without even check if any one of the camera's "notable features" were indeed that notable! :D If I wanted I could buy two tomorrow for the price of a G1W.
You want to see a review of this... thing? There are lots on YouTube.

Last edited:
Not sure which one they're using though. I've seen anything from a 720p upscale 1080p to just 480p 4:3 with this casing.

The advertising alone would have me looking elsewhere.
Yeah, but for people who know nothing about dashcams that ad makes it look like it's the best dashcam out there. Not to mention that it comes with the possibility of showing the footage to the Police or the court and be immediately cleared from blame in an accident. That's probably the most "notable" feature the camera has. :D

So you need the 2 channel version if you want to record your family singing in your car as the big truck runs into you?

Do you get a free Ginsu knife if you order in the next ten minutes, but wait......we'll double your order and send you TWO for the low price of $63.99....(Plus handling charge)

Mike: "So you need the 2 channel version if you want to record your family singing in your car as the big truck runs into you?"
Famous hyperactive presenter: "No, Mike, the Dashpro has an exclusive pivot mount that let's you turn the camera around and record those last moments when you, distracted by the also exclusive flipping LCD screen, drift into the oncoming lane and get the whole family crushed by a semi, Mike!"

Mike: "Do you get a free Ginsu knife if you order in the next ten minutes?"
Famous hyperactive presenter: "Yes, but wait......we'll send you two knifes if you double your order! Get one Dashpro for your in-laws's car too, Mike!"
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(Man, I'm so mean! :p )

So you need the 2 channel version if you want to record your family singing in your car as the big truck runs into you?

Do you get a free Ginsu knife if you order in the next ten minutes, but wait......we'll double your order and send you TWO for the low price of $63.99....(Plus handling charge)
:D

Ancient dashcam theorists think aliens gave dashcam looking devices to the Sumerians to use on their war buggies, but where is the footage and what is the format of the individual files.
And is the DCT user Jokiin really the same person that used to be called Merlin, and is he a alien sent to earth to prepare the human race for somthing.

See all this and more of the History channel tonight at 8 O clock

52dfo3.jpg

Mike: "So you need the 2 channel version if you want to record your family singing in your car as the big truck runs into you?"
Famous hyperactive presenter: "No, Mike, the Dashpro has an exclusive pivot mount that let's you turn the camera around and record those last moments when you, distracted by the also exclusive flipping LCD screen, drift into the oncoming lane and get the whole family crushed by a semi, Mike!"

Mike: "Do you get a free Ginsu knife if you order in the next ten minutes?"
Famous hyperactive presenter: "Yes, but wait......we'll send you two knifes if you double your order! Get one Dashpro for your in-laws's car too, Mike!"
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(Man, I'm so mean! :p )
People joke, and justifiably so, but in my mind it's not a bad thing to increase public awareness of dash cams.

While this may not be the best product, and the scenarios presented are sometimes a bit of a stretch, if people start using them they will (or at least should) quickly become aware of the shortcomings and move on to a quality product. This will increase market opportunity, manufacturers will then be able to profitably market good products, competition will drive up development and drive down cost and in the long run we all win :) (until Microsoft buys all the companies and comes out with DashCam X with automatic firmware downloads...:eek:).

I'm just curious how many people will be able to get them to work?

People joke, and justifiably so, but in my mind it's not a bad thing to increase public awareness of dash cams.
And in the meantime, the manufacturers are making a profit out of selling useless cameras. :)
I know I shouldn't be making jokes but I can't help it. Everytime I see that camera it always makes me laugh!

(until Microsoft buys all the companies and comes out with DashCam X with automatic firmware downloads...:eek:).
Don't tell me: and at some point, during recording, the screen will turn blue and the camera reboots! :D

I saw the same ad a few weeks ago and meant to mention it here. I too like the awareness angle; it's nice to have more people realizing that these are available to anyone now.

Anyone who buys something from a TV ad deserves what they get :eek: If they're smart enough they can get the same thing from Ebay for $12.04 including shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6LED-2-5-Full-HD1080P-Car-DVR-Vehicle-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dash-Cam-270-M2-NEW-/151584411936?hash=item234b229120

Now how much camera do you really think you'll get for that price?

Phil

I saw the same ad a few weeks ago and meant to mention it here. I too like the awareness angle; it's nice to have more people realizing that these are available to anyone now.

Anyone who buys something from a TV ad deserves what they get :eek: If they're smart enough they can get the same thing from Ebay for $12.04 including shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6LED-2-5-Full-HD1080P-Car-DVR-Vehicle-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dash-Cam-270-M2-NEW-/151584411936?hash=item234b229120

Phil

with selling fees, handling etc they still have profit in it, these things are dirt cheap

I too like the awareness angle; it's nice to have more people realizing that these are available to anyone now.
I agree with some form of awareness too but not one that blatantly fools people!

Not a Full HD one, that's for sure! :D

Back