Dashcams

Bd500

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi .I have just bought a 2016 Peugeot 108. I have front and rear dashcams from my previous car (powerd by the cigarette lighter port).I would like to hardwire the cameras this time (allot tider). Problem is the cameras have separate power cables. So will I have to buy two hardwire kits or is there a way to use one?. Cheers. A big hello and thanks from New guy from northumberland England

Welcome to the forum Bd500

Separate power cables for front / rear camera sound strange, i have only seen / tested systems where the rear camera are powered from the front camera, most often with a USB cable that also move the data to the front camera where the memory card is.
You can not power 2 camera on 1 hard wire kit, also most often you need a hard wire kit from the same brand as the camera, the time of generic hard wire kits are long gone.

Are you sure its not 2 single cameras you have ? that was used by all of us oldies / addicts in the old days before dual channel systems.

You can grab power from the same fuse with 2 hard wire kits just fine, i have run up to 3 hardwire kits and 9 cameras on the same 5 A fuse tabs in my car ( tapping into a 10 A circuit )
If you do not want to use parking guard but just want to have your in Dash socket free for other stuff, you can just buy 1 / 2 famale 12 V sockets and splice those into a fuse, that will allow you to use the plug in power source you already have.
Of course you will probably have to tape the 2 plugs together as dandling under your dash somewhere is something else but the nice firm plug in your dash / or center console.

iu

For the fuse adapter / add a fuse you of course need the type of fuse your car have, there is a few different size / shape of the so called ATO / blade fuses.

In the picture here the yellow fuse is the fuse for the new circuit you will be adding, the lower slot is for the original fuse you are tapping into, so that is where the fuse you remove to be able to plug in the fuse adapter do so that original circuit are still fused.

iu

Of course you will probably have to tape the 2 plugs together as dandling under your dash somewhere is something else but the nice firm plug in your dash / or center console.

I use something very similar to this which gives me 3 12V sockets and it mounts nicely and securely in my center console with some VHB tape. There are hard wire versions of these available with different numbers of sockets.

You'll find many of these and many variants on Amazon, eBay and AliExpress.

3_port_12V.jpeg

Yep the 3 way splitters are nice to have, i still have 2 of those in my glove box but the one under my rear seat are long gone.
Also OP might want, at least for rear camera to extend the 12 V side so his original power source can reach

Back