Date and time settings are lost, CMOS battery problem

Curtis54

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello,

as I said in the "firmware thread" I have problems with my viofo A119 dashcam,

sometimes the date and time settings are lost, they are resetting to the default ( 2016-01-01 00:00:00 ), which trigger the format warning message "for you safety a format card is recommended, format yes/cancel ?",

I don't use often my dashcam ( only the week-end when I take my car ), inside the dashcam there is a little lithium battery, soldered on the PCB, you can see this battery here :

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-E33-GhFD...sy5c-EEkgW-hKkgT2d_RpXfuZw/s1600/IMG_0110.JPG

http://www.gibson99.com/reviews/dashcam/viofoa119b60dashcampre-productionbetaunitphotos

I think it's a rechargeable lithium battery, but I need confirmation,

does the viofo A119 need to be often plugged in mains in order to recharge this battery ? ( like a smartphone )

as I don't use often my dashcam maybe this battery loses his power and needs to be recharged ?

if you have access to a USB power supply you can plug the camera into you can try this

set the camera to motion detect, cover the sensor (this is just to avoid writing to card for no real reason), leave it connected to the power supply and powered on for 48 hours, take it off and leave for a few days and see if it holds time

it takes 48 hours of run time to fully charge the RTC battery, they don't get enough run time during production so if the battery is a bit low and you don't use the camera much at all it can end up depleted and not have enough charge in it, if you find it is still losing the time after this then the RTC battery is faulty, it happens sometimes, quite often when you see this it just never had enough charge initially and will be fine after receiving a decent charge up, if the RTC battery is charged up even your irregular use will be enough to keep the charge maintained

well, I was too optimistic, the problem is still here, after 5 days of non use I get the format card warning message, and the date and time are incorrect,

the RTC battery doesn't last long, it loses quickly his power after 5~7 days when the dashcam is not used

well, I was to optimistic, the problem is still here, after 5 days of non use I get the format card warning message, and the date and time are incorrect,

the RTC battery doesn't last long, it loses quickly his power

if it has lost the settings within 5 days then the RTC cell is faulty

is it possible for the user to replace the RTC battery ?

can I purchase the battery and what is its reference ?

is it possible for the user to replace the RTC battery ?

can I purchase the battery and what is its reference ?

possibly if you're handy with and have the right tools, someone that does mobile phone repairs would be able to do it easily, not sure what size is in it but @viofo might be able to help you out with that once they're back to work

the pattern to trigger this bug is not very clear,

for example : when this bug occurs I plug my dashcam to mains for 10 minutes, the theory is that 10 minutes is not enough for recharging the battery if this battery has a defect, but for an unknown reason when I replug my dashcam 2 days later the bug doesn't occur, which is not normal because if the cmos battery is weak then 10 minutes of recharge should not be enough and the bug should have occured,

sometimes the pattern seems random, after 5 days of non use the bug may appear, but not always, this bug can occur also only after a week of non use, it's very weird

I use firmware 2.0, the loader was updated, and I clicked on the menu "reset to the defaults"

I use firmware 2.0, the loader was updated, and I clicked on the menu "reset to the defaults"

ok, there were some instances of people not doing the update with the loader as well and it causing problems with the saving of settings, some had to rerun the loader update

Do I need to reformat the sd card before putting the loader file in root folder ?

I tried with a sd card already formatted and which had video files, I put the loader on the root folder

when I say "root folder" I mean folder "/" ( in the unix world, in windows the equivalent is "c:\" )

I put the loader file in "/" , but the sd card is not empty, there are folders and video files

when I say "root folder" I mean folder "/" ( in the unix world, in windows the equivalent is "c:\" )

I put the loader file in "/" , but the sd card is not empty, there are folders and video files

ok, as long as you understand that is no problem (plenty of people get this wrong), other files won't matter though as long as the update is in the root directory

I have the same problem even after recharging for 48 hours it is asking to restart again and again..... horrible camera

I have the same problem even after recharging for 48 hours it is asking to restart again and again..... horrible camera
Its not a horrible camera it is a very good camera. You cant recharge the A119 cam as a cam with a battery.(only an RTC battery to hold date and time) Sounds like you have a power problem to the camera. Check out your power source, mini power cable, and make sure the mini male connector is seated properly in the cam Are you sure you are talking about an A119 cam? confused::confused::confused::confused:Asking to restart?)

Last edited:
yes it is asking to format the card every time I start the car and it is beeping at the same time as well.

Back