Date and time settings are lost, CMOS battery problem

yes it is asking to format the card every time I start the car and it is beeping at the same time as well.
also forgot to tell you... If you leave the dash cam in the car for 2 or 3 days with out restarting the car the cam has a tendency when you finally start the car to beep and ask for you to format. Don't know if viofo set it up like that but that's how it goes

yes, the date and time always reset when i start the car, I don't use car everyday and when I use I always have to move the mirror and format the card or set the date again or it will be asking me to format the card every time i start and stop the car on that day..............

yes, the date and time always reset when i start the car, I don't use car everyday and when I use I always have to move the mirror and format the card or set the date again or it will be asking me to format the card every time i start and stop the car on that day..............
Well....maybe if you can return for refund and try another A119 maybe you had one put together by someone that was not too experienced

Black dot mesh on top of most windshields....They reduce glare in the sun. That area isn't covered by the sun visors and isn't useful for vision as it's hidden by the mirror. Think of it as an extension of the visors. Unfortunately, they may be radio-opaque and block toll road transponder signals such as Fastrak. Depends on the paint formulation.

Did you try with another memory card ?

Do you use 128 Gb memory card ?

when you have the format warning screen : click on "cancel" and see if the bug occurs again when you restart the dashcam,

the theory is that this problem may caused by a weak CMOS rechargeable battery, you can try to replace this lithium battery, I don't have the exact reference, but it could be like this :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262794984526
the other theory is that there is a bug in the firmware with some memory cards, that's why it would be interesting to test with a different memory card,

one workaround would be to hack the firmware in order to disable this format warning screen, even if the cmos battery is weak, the correct date and time will be automatically set by the GPS module,

anyway it's not normal to have this format warning screen WHEN the cmos battery is weak, it's not logical to ask to the user to format his memory card when the firmware detects that the date and time are reset to "2016-01-01 0:00:00", it's clearly a non-sens,

the good behaviour when the cmos battery is weak : a beep sound or a message "low power cmos battery, please replace it" would be more logical than a brutal screen "format sd card", especially if the sd card is already formatted and in a good health

Last edited:
You are absolutely right... and thank you for the link I will try to open the camera and look inside for the battery.

The card I am using is 32GB Transcend High Endurance.

Last edited:
Just opened the camera, and could not find the battery, I feel that one of the capacitors a little puffed up, maybe blown. HELP!!! What I can do to fix the damn thing.

264rjmd.jpg

ve5fsz.jpg

Last edited:
The cap on the left and bottom is failing or failed as is evidenced by the swelling. Replacing both with higher-quality components is the best practice ;) You must at least use components equal to the originals.

Look up the data specs of these and get something that has equal values but with closer tolerances and a higher heat rating then you should be fine :D

Phil

you can buy these capacitors :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00OYIQFZS
values must be at least 2.7 volts/ 3.3 farad, but greater values can work also,

it seems that everyone should open his viofo A119 in order to check the health of the 2 capacitors, maybe the problem will reach every user if the same brand of capacitor has been used in viofo's factory

Hi to All!
I have the same problem. In my new dashcam after the power is turned off, the settings are reset to default. Firmware is the latest v.2.02
I tried to change the battery to a new one. Did not help :(
Is it possible to see the electrical circuit of A119 ? At least the part that is responsible for supporting the settings?

I asked, now I myself answer :)

Guide How to update: is incorrect !

7. Copy the FWBA119.bin file on the root of the card
8. Disconnect camera from PC and connect the camera to the CHAGER 5V not less than 1A and wait more seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu, the front red LED will be blinking while upgrading.

The USB port in the computer has a maximum current of 0.5 A.
Probably, this is not enough for a correct firmware

Correct guide

Last edited:
I asked, now I myself answer :)

Guide How to update: is incorrect !

7. Copy the FWBA119.bin file on the root of the card
8. Disconnect camera from PC and connect the camera to the CHAGER 5V not less than 1A and wait more seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu, the front red LED will be blinking while upgrading.

The USB port in the computer has a maximum current of 0.5 A.
Probably, this is not enough for a correct firmware

Correct guide
Don't forget to default your settings after the update. Also, if your previous version was V1.1 or earlier, you needed to update the loader first before you could update to v2.0 or later.

Don't forget to default your settings after the update. Also, if your previous version was V1.1 or earlier, you needed to update the loader first before you could update to v2.0 or later.
I know. Thank you. Everything was done according to the instructions from the website VIOFO.
But only after update loader and firmware with use usb charging, the dashcam is working correctly.

Back