Day 1 - What am I doing wrong?

RoyWolfey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Day 1
Unboxed and performed the latest firmware update.
Installed in the car with GPS option. Placed just to the left of the rear view mirror.
1440p 60fps All Default Options + GPS Enabled
The footage just looks terribly out of focus!
Do I need to return this unit or is there something I am doing wrong??

Edit: Footage removed as issue resolved by replacing the unit.

Last edited:
Yes, protective film removed from the lens. :)

If that's how it arrived, I would repack and return.

That's badly out of focus. I would definitely return that. May be just incorrectly nested lens but I wouln't take chances trying to open and fix myself.

Make sure the lens is clean.
Looks badly out of focus.

it needs to be aimed down a bit so the horizon is just above center so the brightness/color will look better, but that won't help the focus. agree this one is badly out of focus and should probably be returned.

btw how did you get 1440p60? didn't know that was possible! ;)

stinks that your first ever dashcam looks to be defective...

it needs to be aimed down a bit so the horizon is just above center so the brightness/color will look better, but that won't help the focus. agree this one is badly out of focus and should probably be returned.
Thanks for the tip. It's an MPV so has a really long dashboard top, and if tilted down anymore the dashboard features in the bottom corners of the image. Do you think it's better to have this in the image and tilt it down?

btw how did you get 1440p60? didn't know that was possible! ;)
Oops, of course I meant 30fps hehhee

stinks that your first ever dashcam looks to be defective...
Waiting for the vendor to come back to me. It's looking like it may be defective out of the box. :( Hopefully they will sort it out for me and replace the cam. :)

Thanks for the tip. It's an MPV so has a really long dashboard top, and if tilted down anymore the dashboard features in the bottom corners of the image. Do you think it's better to have this in the image and tilt it down?...
Ignoring the issues of exposure with that much sky in the frame I prefer to have some portion of the vehicle visible in the video to better determine the relative location of other objects, people, vehicles, etc. Could help in determining what really happened if something should happen.

@RoyWolfey , sorry to hear that, I have sent PM to you to ask some info.

Okkk... did you remove the plastic cover from the lense? you know the tiny sticker.
Also did you degreased with medical alchool your window and made sure you did not leave hand marks on you lenses?

Hope it helps.

Okkk... did you remove the plastic cover from the lense? you know the tiny sticker.
Also did you degreased with medical alchool your window and made sure you did not leave hand marks on you lenses?

Hope it helps.
Yes, I removed the sticker, and have made sure the window, and lens are clean. I also tried the camera outside the car for comparison. I'm in touch with Bill from Viofo so hopefully we will find a solution soon. :)

Day 1
Unboxed and performed the latest firmware update.
Installed in the car with GPS option. Placed just to the left of the rear view mirror.
1440p 60fps All Default Options + GPS Enabled
The footage just looks terribly out of focus!
Do I need to return this unit or is there something I am doing wrong??

my A119 has also a problem about focus, but it is much less serious than your case, on my A119 the blurry area is located to the extreme left border, a small area ( 15~20% of the image ), on your A119 it's 100% of the image,

the solution for you is to get a replacement, a new A119 from your reseller

Back