DDPai (9 Eagles) A2

richx

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
A129 Duo, A139, Mola N3, A119v2, B4K
This is a $30 dashcam from AliExpress. It's pretty much rock-bottom priced, and it seems like nobody has given it any coverage so I thought I might write something about it.

English product info page
Chinese product info page
AliExpress purchase page

The dual-naming is a bit confusing because on DDPai's English language section, the A2 is grouped under the Mola product range while the Chinese language section, it is grouped under the "9 Eagles" product range. Anyway, after 4 weeks of waiting for delivery the item finally arrived. The box is somewhat oversized for its content. The retail pack contains the dashcam body, adhesive mount with one direction swivel (up-down), and a fuse-tap power supply cable. A simple user manual is also included, but did not come with memory card nor static film for the windscreen.

photo_2020-11-18_18-50-53.jpg

The power cable could be problematic for some cars, because it is already pre-terminated with mini fuse taps. So you are expected to extract an existing fuse of the same value and plug this in its place. The device is protected by another set of inline fuses (glass tube type) further up the cables. Oddly enough, the cable terminates to the dashcam body via a micro USB connector. If you accidentally plugged this tip into another device, it could potentially fry that device because this carries 12v power from the car. I suppose they didn't want to provide a separate power receptacle on the dashcam body to reduce cost (which is odd, because the Mini One had both stereo jack power input and micro USB to copy files out).

photo_2020-11-18_18-50-57.jpg

Here it is installed in the same vehicle I had been testing the other two DDPai entry-level products. From left to right, the A2, Mola N3 and Mini One.

IMG_7546.JPG

Once powered up and phone app connected, the parking recording options are already there and the selectable options are the same as on the Mola N3.

photo_2020-11-18_18-56-30.jpgphoto_2020-11-18_18-56-35.jpg

Sample video from overcast day after the rain had stopped. Files produced were ~10 MB/sec broken up into 1-minute files as is typical of other DDPai products. There's also no options to change these parameters. H.265 encoding is also unavailable. Microphone is also very soft, given that I had music playing quite loudly and YouTube didn't flag a copyright infringement on my video.

Sample video when time lapse parking mode is in action ("shrink the video").

Sample still shot from the same scene as the parking mode video. You might want to click to enlarge.

A_20201118173635.jpg

250px crops of samples to compare with the other two cameras I had mounted. OK, the "centre" crop isn't exactly centre of frame, but I wanted to show something quite near and had some details you could judge the image by. Not immediately obvious is that the A2's lens exhibits much less purple/yellow fringing than the other two products. The Mola N3 makes up for this by giving more resolution/details, but under some circumstances the A2 resolves more details than the Mini One due to this. Overall its hard to beat the extra resolution offered by the Mola N3's 5MP sensor, but the A2 does pull ahead of the Mini One (both being 2MP sensors, and despite the Mini One having Starvis IMX307).

Untitled-1.jpg

Second comparison was taken in an unlit multi-storey parking while it was raining heavily outside, so it was quite dark perhaps similar to a lit road at night. I didn't have the same shot taken from Mini One because somewhere in between, the mount had fallen off and I hadn't re-applied new adhesive tape yet. But I think given the day-time comparison, there's really not much point.

Untitled-2.jpgA_20201119141438.jpg

Conclusion: cheap camera with parking recording mode. Optics show promise but again like the Mini One, is held back by HiSilicon's Hi3516 V100 with 30 Mbps peak performance on its video encoding hardware. It's also sad that the firmware decided to pad the file up to 10 MB/sec, otherwise at 3.75 MB/sec rate a 32GB card could have recorded for much longer while containing about the same level of detail.

Last edited:
9 eagles, sound like some gang in a kung fu movie :)

For the price it look to be a okay deal factoring in you also get hardwire kit ASO

@kamkar yeah I guess at $30 it's hard to expect much more. The DDPai Mini is about the same price but the hardwire parking power supply is a separate cost. That has the same SoC chip but IMX322/323 sensor, so I'm not putting too much hope on the quality of output either.

I managed the flash the device with China firmware. No downsides observed other than the rare voice notifications are now in Mandarin. Upside is H.265 encoding is enabled! The option now appears in the app. Note that the app has just undergone major version update (6.0.0.1124 24 Nov 2020) and now follows the same UI as the China domestic app. If you're new to DDPai, you might have problems creating a new user account in this new version, based on the numerous complaints on Play Store.

Screenshot_20201204-174229_DDPai.jpg

Below is a sample driving video in H.265. Yes, YouTube compression is killing it also, but if you compare with the video in the original post, the level of detail captured has increased in a meaningful way since the Hi3516 V100 SoC hardware encoder is limited to 30 Mbps output bitrate. Notice how the brand watermark changed from DDPai A2 to 9 Eagles. The file size remained the same at ~ 10.5MB/sec. H.265-enabled files have been appended with "_H" at the end of its file name.

And this is a H.265 video in parking mode.

Overall I think this is a very good update to a very affordable dashcam with parking mode ready out of the box.

Thanks for your review! (Mine arrives tomorrow.)
How did you flash the Chinese firmware?

@beavis when I go to ddpai.com, I get diverted to en.ddpai.com automatically. There are no firmware files here. On the top right corner, click to (CN) to go to China page. Linking directly to pages in China section will kick you back to en.ddpai.com, so I'll have to show you the click-steps.

1608561675060.png

Next, find the 9Eagles A2 product page.

1608561977149.png

Scroll to the very bottom of the page. Click on this link to download the firmware.

1608561785664.png

The file I got from here is 20191125021527_950233.zip. Unzip the file and move the entire \update folder to the root of your memory card. Insert into the dashcam and power up. It'll blink for awhile, restart and then start speaking in Mandarin.

@beavis when I go to ddpai.com, I get diverted to en.ddpai.com automatically. There are no firmware files here. On the top right corner, click to (CN) to go to China page. Linking directly to pages in China section will kick you back to en.ddpai.com, so I'll have to show you the click-steps.

View attachment 54679

Next, find the 9Eagles A2 product page.

View attachment 54681

Scroll to the very bottom of the page. Click on this link to download the firmware.

View attachment 54680

The file I got from here is 20191125021527_950233.zip. Unzip the file and move the entire \update folder to the root of your memory card. Insert into the dashcam and power up. It'll blink for awhile, restart and then start speaking in Mandarin.

Thank you!
I have managed to update the firmware to the Chinese version. During normal usage, it does not talk in Chinese (only when formatting the card, for example).

I have been using the camera for about 3 weeks now and I'm very satisfied. It works completely fine even with a class 4 card.
It keeps a photo and only a 10-sec video for an emergency event. The length of the emergency recording could be longer and could also include video from before the incident. For example, 1 minute from before and 1 minute after would be better.
I very much appreciate the possibility to adjust the volume of the notifications.
WIFI viewing and downloading of the videos works flawlessly with the app.
Installation was easy as I found plenty of open/empty slots in the fusebox, with the help of my car's manual and a bit of trial and error I didn't even have to use a circuit tester or a probe light.
I used a black permanent marker to make the lens ring darker and to cover up the white branding and the red LED light in the front (this only blinks during parking mode), I prefer the camera to be less noticeable from the outside.

I am a bit worried about overheating during the summer, especially when parked in direct sun and the parking mode is on - so I'm thinking about disassembling the camera and drilling extra holes in the plastic.

Bought it for $23 (with a discount and a coupon in December 2020) from the DDPAI Official Store on Aliexpress with 7-day shipping from an EU warehouse, an amazing value for money especially considering the already built-in parking mode. There is also a 2-year warranty, which is of course of questionable usefulness but it is somewhat reassuring, so to say.
Can't really complain about anything at this price point.

I am a bit worried about overheating during the summer, especially when parked in direct sun and the parking mode is on - so I'm thinking about disassembling the camera and drilling extra holes in the plastic.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. So far it's survived Malaysia's 32~35 degrees afternoon ambient temperatures, which means inside the car will be 40 degrees after parked under direct sunlight for a couple of hours.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. So far it's survived Malaysia's 32~35 degrees afternoon ambient temperatures, which means inside the car will be 40 degrees after parked under direct sunlight for a couple of hours.
internal temps will easily get 30°C above outside temps if parked outside

Yeah.

On a hot summer day opening my car, the first word in my mind are blast furnace, though i have never been close to one of those.
My first time as engineer, getting discharged in Miri ( Sarawak ) the guy that picked me up to drive me to the hotel had his aircon going full blast, was so cold to me i had to divert the vent to the side window, instantly making condensation form there.
Been on a ship for a month that had no aircon, so i was in the red already.

But after acclimating on the hotel for a few hours, leaving it to have a look around,,,,,, OMG again i had that blast furnace feeling.

It's $27 on AliExpress now (10% less) with 5 units remaining from Spain warehouse.

Hello
Can I ask you for advice on how to create an account in the Ddpai application? I cannot register, I will not receive a confirmation email!
Thank you for any answer
Robert

@N1K2J I think you have to keep trying it. I didn't have a problem when I registered last year, but after the new GUI update on the DDPai app, many reviews in Play Store comment of the same problem as you are having :/

@N1K2J Glad it finally worked out for you. Don't forget to flash to China firmware if you want to use H.265 encoding for more details stored.

Ahoj,
Nakoniec som namontoval a pripojil fotoaparát A2. Stále musím dať kodek H.265. Ako optimálne nastaviť režim parkovania. Limit batérie 11,8 V je v poriadku? Keď bude nastavený spánok, bude sa nahrávanie udalostí zapínať? Alebo nastaviť zmenšovacie video na 15 min alebo 1 H? Ďakujeme za rady, tipy, postrehy a skúsenosti! Myslíte si, že inštalácia @ RICHX H.265 má pre tento fotoaparát jednoznačný prínos?
Ďakujem,
Robert

@N1K2J Welcome to the forum. I think 11.8v is a bit scary, I would stick to 12.0v for a vehicle that's driven at least a little bit daily. If you want to wake up and only record after a G-event has been registered, you can set shrink the video (15 min), and after that the camera will sleep leaving plenty of battery reserve to wait for the G-event.

ahoj @richx Ďakujem za radu, nastavil som 12V a 15 min v redukovanom zázname. Podľa tvojich pokynov som nahral čínsky softvér a odomkol som H.265, je to rozdiel v kvalite obrázkov, odporúčam. Ďakujem

@N1K2J you're welcomed! I'm glad you're enjoying this low-priced camera so far!

can anyone here provide the chinese firmware file? i am unable to find it or download it. plz help.

Back