Dead battery! :(

isdoo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can the dash cam drain the car battery?

New camera (Nextbase 512 GW & rear) fitted by Halfords - got in the car today, not driven since Sunday (2 miles) and last Thursday (160 miles) and the battery is dead.

Nothing else was on in the car - in fact most things are automatically turned off - no lights on etc. I do not think that the dash cam was always on.

Battery was last replaced 13 months ago.

Absolutely can drain the battery. You need to get a voltage cut off regulator such as a power magic pro.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a friend in my Parkade who had me install the same RSC Nano dashcam I have because he liked mine and we have had an infestation of people trying all of our door handles to do quick grab theft in my area. He has a 2017 Lincoln SUV and he was away for 6 days in Ontario and his car battery survived for 6 days! I was still in disbelief but I know it to be true because several of our neighbours now have a neighbourhood watch and we check each other’s vehicles. I saw his red and green lights on it and it was just fine after almost a week.

Then there is myself who bought a 20,000 mA battery bank because I won’t even let my car sit for more than a few hours using the car battery cigar lighter socket.

I would suppose it depends on the condition of the car’s battery, and the time of year for climate. I know that my battery is three years old and it seen three hard winter’s so I don’t really want to risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should mention however, that our cams are set to Motion detection but my car sits in a higher traffic area where I am in the middle of a T-intersection and my cam captures a lot more activity.

I asked for details and he replied this.....

“My Nav System warned me of excessive charging and my radio went to Low Power Mode. Never had that before or since”

Back