Dead Chip

Gary Edstrom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I have experienced my first dead micro-SD card with my 650GW. I noticed that I had gotten a couple of resets while driving. I took the chip out and plugged it into my computer. It wouldn't even connect. I tried other adapters, but none of them worked. I tried another chip as an experiment and it worked just fine, so it is definitely the card. I had been using it for about 2 years. It was a SanDisk 128GB Extreme Plus. I have a backup chip of the same type, so it is no big deal. But this is the very first flash memory failure of ANY type in ANY of my equipment in all the years I have been using flash memory.

I had an SD card failure a year ago; it was in my phone. I had a bunch of pictures on it. I didn't know it was a 'thing'. It did give some warnings though before failure, but I wasn't sensitive to them at that time.

I have had two fails. One was the Blackvue that came with my camera and the other was a Samsung. The blackvue gave me some warning for a day, it was rebooting the camera every 5 to 10 minutes. I forgot what 256gb Samsung model card I had go bad, it never made it to a camera. I did the usual h2testw when it arrived and tested good, then during the format in the camera it failed. Cards are cheap these days, so I actually have three cards for each camera and rotate them out each week while I check for stuff I want to save for uploading.

@Gary Edstrom Video recording is hard on SD cards due to the intense writing so they will wear out sooner than expected. Cam heat and the writing speeds cause the cards to run hotter than in most devices which also shortens their lifespan.

Sometimes you'll get some kind of clue that a card is about to die and sometimes you don't. If a card which has been functioning perfectly begins to drop or corrupt files or fails to record, and formatting the card doesn't help, then your card is probably about to die. Becauxse of the importance of the cam video, best to always have a spare tested card in the car ready to pop in at a moments notice.

Phil

Back