Decisions, decisions

Inafog

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
SG9665GC.
Well after two and a half years of DVR207 ownership, it's time to move into a higher spec device.
The 207 is getting unreliable, focus has gone away, fails to loop record sometimes and is losing date data ( it reverts to 1.1.12) when parked for a week or so ( possibly only the battery ? ).

I am torn between buying a SG9665GC with the excellent support shown here and a Mini 806 ( half the price of the SG9665GC ) or Mini 805 ( a third of the price 0f the SG9665GC ). That is costs in Australia.
I am aware of the dangers of possibly getting a dud Mini and battery versus capacitor, but the price difference is a lot.

Despite the misgivings of some, I like the speed display being embedded in the clip. I see hints of this being included in a future firmware update for the SG9665GC. Is that likely and when if so? That may tip me into spending the money on the SG9665GC. Can you advise there Jokiin?

Have also been looking at using a Mobius as a rear stand alone Cam in addition to the main cam up front, any thoughts on that?

Back to my researching for the moment. look forward to your comments.

Honest and upfront answer is embedded speed is something we're still working on but I can't guarantee it at this stage

Price wise we're not going to compare to something bought from China

Have also been looking at using a Mobius as a rear stand alone Cam...

Good choice but, given the Australian climate, replace it's battery with the capacitor kit.

image.jpg

Whatever you choose for the front camera, a battery-reliant model isn't a sensible choice for your climate, or as a long term ownership prospect.

I like the speed display being embedded in the clip.

As an alternative until it's potentially added real time, On Screen Speed Display can still be added via http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

Software Manuals:
When you export, create the subtitle file.

VLC player, or YouTube can optionally show the Speed Stamp at playback then. (works great)

Last edited:
Honest and upfront answer is embedded speed is something we're still working on but I can't guarantee it at this stage

Price wise we're not going to compare to something bought from China

I realise the reasons for price differences ( and you usually do get what you pay for ), your support here does make a case for spending the extra money. The embedded speed display would make my decision easier.
But it is what it is :)
I just have to decide whether I want to take the cheaper route or not and as usual we all want others to validate our decisions.

Good choice but, given the Australian climate, replace it's battery with the capacitor kit.

View attachment 15593

Whatever you choose for the front camera, a battery-reliant model isn't a sensible choice for your climate, or as a long term ownership prospect.
I don't know about only hot here, it was very hot when I was in Germany and Austria a few weeks back.

10 deg C here at the moment

As an alternative until it's potentially added real time, On Screen Speed Display can still be added via http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

Software Manuals:
When you export, create the subtitle file.

VLC player, or YouTube can optionally show the Speed Stamp at playback then. (works great)

Thanks for that I will check out.

I realise the reasons for price differences ( and you usually do get what you pay for ), your support here does make a case for spending the extra money. The embedded speed display would make my decision easier.
But it is what it is :)
I just have to decide whether I want to take the cheaper route or not and as usual we all want others to validate our decisions.

just to give you some background the reasons on why we don't currently have embedded speed display

the embedded speed is not real time, it is always delayed, how much delay is acceptable though, not a lot I think, some models it's several seconds behind

we need to offer it in MPH and KPH as we sell in multiple markets, GPS speed is only in Knots so we need to convert it, not a big deal, just some extra work

we also need to make it user selectable in the menu, not everyone wants their speed embedded in the video so it needs an option to turn it off

we'll add it when we can make sure it's as accurate as possible and as close to real time as possible, I think otherwise it's not wise to have it, I don't believe in adding features or functions unless they work as they should reasonably be expected to work

Can't go wrong with a mobius. It is the best little cam, ok for Sydney/Melbourne climate, I've left mine on in undercover car parks for past one year.
You can use as big as 128gb micro card in it. I am considering buying another and run it with my Panorama2 in my truck, one in each corner of the 8feet windscreen, the mobius in the d/s corner pointing 30deg to the right.

I don't know about only hot here...

Who said anything about "only hot"? Unless you live up in the Snowy Mountains, you must inevitably experience many days sweatier than a glass-blower's arse :)

Nah, last summer was rubbish in Melbourne. Lucky to have two weeks of heat :(

Been playing around with Registrator Viewer (using some downloaded clips with GPS info), the subtitle stamp is a bit messy and doesn't seem to like remove all data except for the speed stamp. Maybe its me doing something wrong?
Anyway, that is for me to think about with choosing.
I must admit that the SG9665GC is tempting me.
Where is the best place to buy, given I live a fair way south of Melbourne?

Supplementary questions on the Mobius as a rear view camera. How does it go with tinted windows, particularly at night? I drive a 4WD wagon and would need to position it in the rear wiper sweep as well.
And would the standard lens be OK for that job or should i get a wider option?

@ Jokiin..........

Dude....... Help me because you know I need some help deciding on one......

X2 is my pick and any opinions from members are sweet.

I maybe able to do a quick comparison between the mobius and panorama2 at the rear glass, I have dark tint(15% light)
You'll have to wait though.
B lens is said to be better than A lens at night.

Just a small observation.
You can tell I am not on the North American continent . Witness Auto Cam has not been trying to sell me a Lukas :):rolleyes:

:D

As an adjuct to Pier 28's suggestions on using subtitles to show what I wanted on the clip I have had some learning experiences today. A rainy afternoon left me with time to play ;)
I downloaded a couple of files, from here and Techmoan's site with GPS data included
When using VLC, it seems that editing the subtitle file down to a minimum caused them not show at all, hence my reference to looking messy.
I have found that I could edit everything out except for the speed display itself and it was viewable on Media Player, success.
I then uploaded loaded that clip and its subtitle file to YouTube to test and it works fine.
So some lessons learned :)

So that about sorts it. I can do what I wish to do with the SG9665GC, in fact better, because I can include or leave out the speed as I wish.
Next step is to sort buying the SG9665GC.

I will ask my question again, where is the best place for a Victorian to buy? The listed Victorian dealers seem to not care about Street Guardian as their websites do not mention the brand.
Dashcam Owners have it for sale and some of the NSW dealers have them up on Ebay.

Jokiin, or other Aussies, your advice ?

Last edited:
the Melbourne stores sell them, they just don't list them online, Daniel at Complete Options or Sam at SSV Mitcham if you want to buy locally

a couple of the Sydney retailers do online sales, Strathfield Concord have stock still, the others are probably out, more stock due next week

Back