delete files !!

somacast

Reaction score
Country
Bahrain
hi ,

I just got my cam working, but seriously.. cant I delete video files through the app??? ? and why does it only lock impact files? what about motion detection in parking mode!! it doesn't consider it an event !!!!

thnx

Not familiar with this brand cameras, but others you have to highlight a file you want to download at least.
It could be delete is not there due to the problems it can give ( even if it dont make sense to me ) but other users of other cameras have encountered problems if they have deleted individual files, or moved them off the memory card to the computer.
It seem that for some reason the camera can have problems figuring out why there suddenly is a hole in the file structure, and then just ignore that and go to the next oldest file,,,,, to me it seem simple.
But for that reason deleting individual filers or moving them off the memory card have always been advised against, and instead people should copy a file from the memory card to the computer so the original are still there.

The other brand i use parking guard on ( low bitrate mode ) here the recordings are also just in among the regular files and so will get deleted when they are the oldest file, but i do have G- sensor on beside that so actual events do get locked in the Read Only folder.

You can of course always do a in camera format, but that would delete ALL files on the memory card.

Not familiar with this brand cameras, but others you have to highlight a file you want to download at least.
It could be delete is not there due to the problems it can give ( even if it dont make sense to me ) but other users of other cameras have encountered problems if they have deleted individual files, or moved them off the memory card to the computer.
It seem that for some reason the camera can have problems figuring out why there suddenly is a hole in the file structure, and then just ignore that and go to the next oldest file,,,,, to me it seem simple.
But for that reason deleting individual filers or moving them off the memory card have always been advised against, and instead people should copy a file from the memory card to the computer so the original are still there.

The other brand i use parking guard on ( low bitrate mode ) here the recordings are also just in among the regular files and so will get deleted when they are the oldest file, but i do have G- sensor on beside that so actual events do get locked in the Read Only folder.

You can of course always do a in camera format, but that would delete ALL files on the memory card.
thank you very much, however features you mentioned are more related with viofo a139 which I returned due to malfunction issues (never goes to parking mode) ... anyway l can live without deleting manually but not locking a motion detection event is absolutely unacceptable!!

hi ,

I just got my cam working, but seriously.. cant I delete video files through the app??? ? and why does it only lock impact files? what about motion detection in parking mode!! it doesn't consider it an event !!!!

thnx

Not being able to delete files through the app is not a big deal, really. They're eventually going to get overwritten automatically in a few days anyway. Manually trying to manage SD card space is a huge waste of time and randomly deleting files can cause problems like @kamkar talked about.

Only 50 video files can be locked before they start getting automatically overwritten. If they locked all motion detection files and your cam sees cars constantly going by in the parking lot/garage, or people walking by, or you parked in front of a tree on a windy day, your locked video of someone doing something to your car will get overwritten pretty quickly.

With a 128 GB SD card, you have 7 to 17 hours to retrieve any video file before it's overwritten, depending on image quality setting. Double that with a 256 GB SD card. If your cam has internet access it'll send you a push notification with any parking event, motion or impact, if you configure it that way. You get immediately notified that something happened and you can transfer that video of interest directly to cloud storage from your phone without even returning to your car.

Last edited:
Not being able to delete files through the app is not a big deal, really. They're eventually going to get overwritten automatically in a few days anyway. Manually trying to manage SD card space is a huge waste of time and randomly deleting files can cause problems like @kamkar talked about.

Only 50 video files can be locked before they start getting automatically overwritten. If they locked all motion detection files and your cam see cars constantly going by in the parking lot/garage, or people walking by, or you parked in front of a tree on a windy day, your locked video of someone doing something to your car will get overwritten pretty quickly.

With a 128 GB SD card, you have 7 to 17 hours to retrieve any video file before it's overwritten, depending on image quality setting. Double that with a 256 GB SD card. If your cam has internet access it'll send you a push notification with any parking event, motion or impact, if you configure it that way. You get immediately notified that something happened and you can transfer that video of interest directly to cloud storage from your phone without even returning to your car.
very helpful thnx

but here really my main concern is parking mode, i need motion detection, and from what I understand from your reply is that video labeled as (parking) are protected as well.. but in that case I won't get any useful footage if someone vandalized my car again ... i need face details so cant go to time-lapse, my card is 256gb

obviously its another useless cam ..

very helpful thnx

but here really my main concern is parking mode, i need motion detection, and from what I understand from your reply is that video labeled as (parking) are protected as well.. but in that case I won't get any useful footage if someone vandalized my car again ... i need face details so cant go to time-lapse, my card is 256gb

obviously its another useless cam ..

No, you are correct, only impact parking videos are locked, not motion detection vids. I was just saying that you still get notified immediately via a phone push notification if motion is detected in parking mode. You can then watch that video immediately and have plenty of time to save it.

You'll still get useful footage (assuming the perps were in your cam's field of view), it just won't get locked.

You still have plenty of time to retrieve it (14 to 34 hours with a 256 GB card).

So, I wouldn't say it's useless. Still does the job pretty well, just not in the exact way you'd prefer.

No, you are correct, only impact parking videos are locked, not motion detection vids. I was just saying that you still get notified immediately via a phone push notification if motion is detected in parking mode. You can then watch that video immediately and have plenty of time to save it.

You'll still get useful footage (assuming the perps were in your cam's field of view), it just won't get locked.

You still have plenty of time to retrieve it (14 to 34 hours with a 256 GB card).

So, I wouldn't say it's useless. Still does the job pretty well, just not in the exact way you'd prefer.
thnx again
well , it would need an even more investment, that cloud attachment or whatever its called, then a sim card with data with monthly plan , mm car battery considerations... life isn't easy after all

well , it would need an even more investment, that cloud attachment or whatever its called, then a sim card with data with monthly plan , mm car battery considerations... life isn't easy after all

That is true.

I don't know what those kind of things cost in Bahrain, but for me buying a wifi hotspot for the car wasn't too expensive. Cost nothing to add it to the shared cellular data plan I already have, and vehicle battery conservation isn't an issue. Wifi hotspot is connected to a USB port that charges it when the car runs and stops when I turn the car off, so no worries about killing the car battery. And the hotspot's battery lasts 12-14 hours, plenty of time for daily parking needs.

Totally worth it for me.

That is true.

I don't know what those kind of things cost in Bahrain, but for me buying a wifi hotspot for the car wasn't too expensive. Cost nothing to add it to the shared cellular data plan I already have, and vehicle battery conservation isn't an issue. Wifi hotspot is connected to a USB port that charges it when the car runs and stops when I turn the car off, so no worries about killing the car battery. And the hotspot's battery lasts 12-14 hours, plenty of time for daily parking needs.

Totally worth it for me.
you have been of a great help already, but just to understand right, do i need to buy the blackvue cloud attachment which plugs into the 900x usb port ? or just a mifi as we call it will do ? will the cam auto upload the motion detection videos automatically? i mean i wont buy a hotspot to just get a notification ..kindly elaborate.. thnx

12-14 hours unfortunately not always good for me, I have 2 cars , i drive them randomly, not necessarily alternatively, one can remain untouched for 3 days even... i might build up an lifepo4 pack ... life isn't easy , lol

you have been of a great help already, but just to understand right, do i need to buy the blackvue cloud attachment which plugs into the 900x usb port ? or just a mifi as we call it will do ? kindly elaborate.. thnx

Either one will work just fine.

I went with a "mifi" device mainly because it would be easier, cheaper, and less hassle to fix/replace if it dies, and easier to upgrade if/when I want to jump up to 5G. Also, the CM100 LTE module was, at the time, only able to connect one other device besides the dashcam. I understand a recent firmware upgrade upped that number to 5. Also, the BlackVue LTE device was not compatible with my current cellular carrier, and I didn't want to have another account with another company just for that.

I can connect way more than that to my mifi in the car. Plus, it has a lot of the functions of your average router (built in file saving, VPN, etc., etc.). MUCH more useful device.

12-14 hours unfortunately not always good for me, I have 2 cars , i drive them randomly, not necessarily alternatively, one can remain untouched for 3 days even... i might build up an lifepo4 pack ... life isn't easy , lol

If you put a battery in the car, you can always connect your mifi device to it as well.

Back