Detach hardwired front camera

MntnGrl8

Reaction score
Country
United States
what is needed to detach the front camera on these rear view mirror Dash cameras and convert the data connection to one similar to the rear input camera connector? Something like an RCA type input port.

Im toying with an older Junsun I purchased. I know this kind of modification has to be possible. After scouring the internet for the last two days Ive come up with nothing componen wise that can convert the exiting 24 pin flat flex cable connector from the main board to the hardwired camera.

if you don’t know the answer, pointing this adventure in the proper direction would be most helpful.

thank you in advance

Welcome to DCT neighbor :) Off 25N here near Slater
@jokiin probably knows more about this one than anyone else here, but if it's possible it won't be easy. You're taking the raw data from the CMOS and that has to be processed into something that can be made into a usable format (like .ts) so the computer can make a vid out of it. And the CMOS cable loses signal quickly so you can't extend it more than several inches in any case which probably isn't enough.

Just curious, but what exactly is your goal? Sounds like you want to keep the mirror/display but move the cam in it now to another spot. Hope last night's storms missed you, a little wind and some hail here but thought it was gonna get nasty!

Phil

Holy crap you’re mighty close to me. Lol. What gave my location away. IP address tracker?

yes I survived the storm. Brutal last night.

yes. I’ve mounted the dash cam to my actual das, right above the stereo head unit, instead of on the actually rear view mirror.

yes, I will get to the bottom of this and make this work to my liking.

I have yet to see a dash cam model designed this way. Which really bothers me.

IMO it should be an out of the box viable option. With out the headache

from what I’ve already determined using logic.

Is that the hard wired camera probably uses a 24 flat flex ribbon the same way the external rear camera does.

HARDWIRED INTERNAL camera- needs power, Needs ground, needs data relay from device. That’s 3 of the 24 pins.

EXTERNAL CAMERA- I seem to get a better live picture on screen with this camera. 4 pin cable. Power and ground come From vehicle not the device which means the 4 pin cable is transferring the data to the Dash cam.

so why would the internal camera require any more data confections that that.There is no way it’s using all pins for the hardwired camera.

my guess is it’s a mass produced circuit board and the 24 pins are used For other camera features.

the hardwired camera has a mini circuit board right behind the lens. so using logic again that board has already interpreted the data and is send it to the built in recording center and then to the display.

There is absolutely no reason this modification should cost anymore than that of an additional camera, input connection, and a bit of ingenuity and solder.

After scouring the internet for the last two days Ive come up with nothing
for good reason, what you're trying to do is not possible with anything off the shelf, or even a hack, you can't just turn a raw data feed into an RCA out, wrong type of camera

@jokiin

it wouldn’t be an rca out. It would be an Video input adapter. It doesn’t even have to be rca. similar to the rear camera.

the goal is to relocate and install the Front camera elsewhere.

if the rear camera can have a video input. Why can’t the front?

seems to me the only reason why the front camera on these rear mirror dash cams have a 24 pin flat flex connection is so sliding the camera is idiot proof.

there has got to be a hack.

the front camera is sending a digital signal which has to be decoded, the rear camera is converted to analogue so only needs power, signal and ground

you could use a longer ribbon cable on the front to move it further away but about 6 to 8 inches is about as much as you can normally go before they suffer interference and signal loss

I did wonder about digital vs analogue. Crap then you are pretty much dead on.

thank you for your help.

Your username and state gave it away ;) It was either here or out toward Table Rock or Long Creek as that's where the SC mountains are. Have you considered a dual-remote cam like the K2S? Not a mirror- screen but it does have a screen and tiny cam modules which go about anywhere. Mine's temporarily mounted on top of my sun visor, I can flip it down when I want to see it. It sort of serves me as a RVM as my van has only side mirrors. Jokiin's "Street Guardian" brand will have a dual-remote offering soon which will probably be considerably better.

RVM cam's have never been very good, the Junsun seems the best so far but Aukey has a new 3-channel one which looks promising meant for Taxi/Uber use. The concept is good, the problem has always been in the execution of the idea and in the fact that none use safety glass screens which is a US safety requirement (do they even make such screens?). And none yet with fully remote lens modules like you want.

Didn't get out today but heard the damage path from last night's worst of 3 cells was only about 1/2 mile south of here. Crazy weather for this time of year- I hope it's not an omen for summer :( We've been getting battered enough already!

Phil

Back