DETACHING CAMERA MOUNT

jsl262

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any ideas on how to remove the camera mount w/o breaking it. I travel a lot and would like to use in rental cars. Any suggestions welcomed.

jsl262 said:
Any ideas on how to remove the camera mount w/o breaking it. I travel a lot and would like to use in rental cars. Any suggestions welcomed.

All it needs is a little heat to loosen it up a bit. With that said, use either a blow dryer, park it in the sun or turn on defroster at max heat for a few min.

from my iP5 via Tapa 2

Hot day where I am located. I will see if camera mount will come loose. I will try Velco to make camera portable. Thanks

jsl262 said:
just have a look at existing thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1691

Last edited by a moderator:
jsl262 said:

After you get it off buy some 3M dual lock tape and use that

Looks like this I think its called something else in USA

Then mount will look like this I have peeled the bit on the screen off and used it again but not the best idea USed it in two rentals for a couple of weeks and when i rmoved it I just put some Glad wrap on it

Thank you. I'll try to safely remove camera mount tomorrow, hot weather is expected in my area for the next several days sun will be intense.

jsl262 said:
Thank you. I'll try to safely remove camera mount tomorrow, hot weather is expected in my area for the next several days sun will be intense.

I removed two yesterday, a bit of string about 50cm long wrap each end around your hands and a sawing motion between the bracket and glass and they're off in about 10 seconds, very easy

Great suggestion about string. I have velcro, but I will get stronger product your pixs showed. I'll post my results I am traveling cross country USA and I want to record any special events on the road. Thanks

jsl262 said:
Great suggestion about string. I have velcro, but I will get stronger product your pixs showed. I'll post my results I am traveling cross country USA and I want to record any special events on the road. Thanks

I actually had a camera sample that came with the string for removal (good idea I thought) the string was similar to a YoYo string in size and quality

Checked out your photobucket pixs. Do u have two cameras in your auto? I have blackvue up front and lukas in rear of my volkswagen passat.

I managed to remove my Blackvue from windshield, three times before, using a sort of kitchen spatula, one like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008E06CBO?psc=1
Or like this: http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Nylon-A ... ic+spatula

It is strong enough, sufficiently flexible, and as thin as necessary to insinuate with easiness between the car's windshield and the plastic support.
Since it is made ​​of plastic, the spatula does not cause any damage to the windscreen. Then, the glue can be easily removed simply by hand or by using a dry towel.
There is no need to heat the camera support or the windscreen. IMHO, the heating procedure is indicated only for GoPro cameras, which use a much stronger 3M adhesive.

jsl262 said:
Checked out your photobucket pixs. Do u have two cameras in your auto? I have blackvue up front and lukas in rear of my volkswagen passat.

Me or Jokin I have a DR 500 in the front now and a DR350 in the back The DR 400 is in wifes Polo

I apppreciate all the suggestions and I will get back to share my experience. Thnx

Use a fillet kitchen knife.

Bit of hot glue and make a suction cup mount like mine, I drive trucks, and a different one every day normally....

Marcus said:
Bit of hot glue and make a suction cup mount like mine, I drive trucks, and a different one every day normally....

I like this suggestion. You have given me a suggestion to make use of the parts left over from an old gps. I'll try it out after all I use other peoples autos and they don't like me defacing their windshields. As of now I have attached super strong 3m velcro to my personal vehicle. Thanks

All were correct it was a simple procedure to remove the mount from my windshield with a piece of sturdy plastic credit card size with a little bit of elbow grease it came loose. Cleaned remaining residue with Goo remover cleaned then windshield and then reapplied DVR with heavy duty 3M velcro and it's now portable. THANKS GUYS

Excellent, good result then :)

Great idea! I also use different cars often. But in your experience, does the suction mount last and vibrate?

Back