Disable Motion Recording while in Park Mode

horsepower

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Thinkware F800
Hey folks,

I have an F750 with rear camera option. I have had it installed in my truck for the past year, and I have had it hard-wired in, just by cutting the plug off the lighter plug (no 3 wire connection). Recently, I decided to flash the camera with the newest F770 firmware. The flash went flawlessly. Shortly after this, I decided I wanted to try using the parking mode of the camera, so I bought the hardwire kit and installed it.

Looking through the settings, I can only find the option to turn on parking mode with the options of motion detection or time lapse.... I do not want the motion detection option at all, I want it to just record in the event of a bump event.... I was looking at some videos online of the app, and I came across one showing the F750, and it shows that there is an option to turn off the motion detection separately... I dont remember seeing that option before as I never used park mode...

My question is, does anyone know if the latest firmware/app for the F750 allows you to turn off motion detection separately? If so, I will flash my camera back to the F750 firmware. Or does anyone know if its possible to turn off the motion detection part on the F770 firmware .03?

I just checked and indeed you can not choose between the two (.03 FW).

But is it a problem for you to also have motion detection switched on?

In both cases the camera needs to record continuously in order to catch
a potential "event", so I doubt it uses less power if you could activate only "bump events"

there is a slight increase in power consumption due to the camera dumping footage to the SD card, whilst the camera will "see" everything 24/7, the motion / time laps / incident settings will determine how much of that gets recordednand the recording bit actually uses a fair amount of power.

Not a big deal, I would just rather not bother recording movement of every tree and leaf and snow flake... Has anyone looked on the F750 firmware (I think its .22?) to see if they split the option up there? Like I said, I never noticed it before I flashed mine to F770 because I was never interested in that option at the time..

Can't remember if you could switch it on separately but I don't think so.
and the manual is not so clear abt it... (see attached)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 5
When you run the camera in Time Lapse, motion recording no longer works it's just Shock & Time lapse.

Otherwise you can put it to Motion recording instead of time lapse but then turn the Motion sensitivity (Record Settings - Motion Detection - OFF) to the lowest level which is OFF! So it will just record shocks....HTH

there is a slight increase in power consumption due to the camera dumping footage to the SD card, whilst the camera will "see" everything 24/7, the motion / time laps / incident settings will determine how much of that gets recordednand the recording bit actually uses a fair amount of power.
I haven't upgraded my F750 with the F770 FW yet, but I had been thinking it would be a good idea so that I could switch to time lapse mode to extend the parking mode time. But you make a valid point - it will probably only be marginally longer. Oh well - I guess that the improved night vision is still worth having. I'll get off my **** and do it sometime :).

A couple of guys from Thinkware in Korea were with us at the Ideal Home Show in London last week and they advised me it's no longer possible to upgrade the F750 to F770 with the latest firmware versions.

indeed, Thinkware in their infinite wisdom have decided to cover up their deliberate attempt at misleading customers with the F770 and prevent the pure software upgrade for the F750.

However, if you haven't flashed the F750 .22 or newer firmware you can still do it. To highlight how insane this is, my converted F750 can still get the latest F770 firmware releases.

Lets hope you don't need to revert back to factory default firmware because that too has been disabled.

Not impressed Thinkware, not impressed at all, there is nothing new in the F770 and whilst I understand you need to keep new customers coming in, punishing your existing users of the F750, which IS the same as the F770 as well you know, is wrong, if you want to get F750 users to buy a new product, then MAKE a new product.

Well said.
They have probably spent considerable money on implementing the "fix" that could have been spent on R&D towards other things.

RodeoGeorge

indeed, Thinkware in their infinite wisdom have decided to cover up their deliberate attempt at misleading customers with the F770 and prevent the pure software upgrade for the F750.

However, if you haven't flashed the F750 .22 or newer firmware you can still do it. To highlight how insane this is, my converted F750 can still get the latest F770 firmware releases.

Lets hope you don't need to revert back to factory default firmware because that too has been disabled.

Not impressed Thinkware, not impressed at all, there is nothing new in the F770 and whilst I understand you need to keep new customers coming in, punishing your existing users of the F750, which IS the same as the F770 as well you know, is wrong, if you want to get F750 users to buy a new product, then MAKE a new product.

I think it's a nice design update, a much more discreet product than the previous model and certainly a more attractive proposition as a result, the BS about super night vision etc and making out it's new hardware is the kind of thing you expect from some of the low end Chinese manufacturers, they would have got a lot more credibility and built brand loyalty by being upfront and letting people with the 750 know they could take advantage of improved firmware for even better results rather than treating them like second class citizens, pretty poor form really

I think it's a nice design update, a much more discreet product than the previous model and certainly a more attractive proposition as a result, the BS about super night vision etc and making out it's new hardware is the kind of thing you expect from some of the low end Chinese manufacturers, they would have got a lot more credibility and built brand loyalty by being upfront and letting people with the 750 know they could take advantage of improved firmware for even better results rather than treating them like second class citizens, pretty poor form really

I couldn't agree more, I would happily spend more on a new thinkware camera if there was a significant difference and whilst the 770 does look slightly better, it isn't £200 better! :)

I couldn't agree more, I would happily spend more on a new thinkware camera if there was a significant difference and whilst the 770 does look slightly better, it isn't £200 better! :)

the vast majority of potential sales are going to be to new customers, not 750 owners, had they have been honest and just supported their previous customers with the same features etc as found in the new model they would automatically get your business when it does come time to buy a new product which may even be a newer model by then but they would have built brand loyalty, I think what they're doing does the complete opposite personally, going the extra effort to try and lock you out of upgrading shows that, very poor form

Brian and Joey should perhaps think of their users a bit more, perhaps you could take them up on their Korean Restaurants in exchange for the ELF file for the F750 ;)
The annoying thing is, the camera is great and I would highly recommend it, but this particular sward seems to be double edged and they aren't exactly doing themselves favours for continued business.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
egonvdv F750 2
raoul F750 11
Back