Do any dashcams connect to factory installed cameras?

I remember mythbusters trying to make a black powder engine, like someone claim to have made back in the snake oil days.
Now there is a nasty propellant if there ever was one.

I don't buy the safety concern thing. They let you screw around with the OBD2 port all you like, attach whatever cheap crap you like to it.

There is no substitute for liquid-fueled internal combustion engines in weight-critical high-power applications, and nothing is on the long-term radar to replace them either.
As to the OBD port, I'm sure your car warranty will cover it's allowed use, and is probably made void on plugging anything except a diagnostic tool in there. The same goes for non-dealer installed electrical items. And in many places these days, you're not permitted to have and use non-factory approved equipment in your vehicle with audio systems being the main exception.

Screwing these things up isn't really a high safety risk as it just leaves you with a dead car, but screwing up a driving system will be leaving a trail of innocent dead bodies behind on failure, and that is unacceptable.

Phil

You should look in to what you can do with an OBD2 port. Disable safety features, turn the steering wheel, control the throttle, all sorts of fun stuff. There is an open source autopilot from comma.ai that uses it to drive the car.

Fossil cars suck compared to EVs. Noisy, poor performance, unrefined and expensive and dirty to run. You have to go out of your way just to put petrol in then every week. Never going back to that nonsense.

My daily work requires a vehicle which carries 4m+ long cargo loads in the dry, has a payload capacity of 100kg+, and can handle very hilly drives of 2+ hours daily. Occasionally I'll need to drive four hours+ one way. AFAIK there's no EV's I could make use of which have an initial cost of ~$2K US which will likely serve me for several years without a major cash infusion for repairs. In fact, no EV's in this price range with several years of life left in them are available at all regardless of their load capacity. Good thing I don't drive a dump truck or your reply would look quite a lot sillier :p

And far from beating on EV's, I've been deeply interested in them for about 45 years now, ever since the "Citicar" hit the US market. In it's time it was even more radical than today's Tesla. And I happen to know where one sits forlorn in a local home's yard- one day I must stop and make inquiries about it possibly finding a new home with me :cool:

Phil

You have to go out of your way just to put petrol in then every week.
Try driving cross country in an EV. With the infrastructure in place today you have to jump through hoops to make sure you can get the the next charging station, assuming there is one, within your charge range. If 'they' can address this issue then, and only then, will EVs replace ICEs.

Edit: A second, and equally important, issue that needs to be addressed is the charge time to go from empty to full. I can do that in less than 5 minutes with my ICE and end up with a 450-500 mile range. Currently impossible with any EV.

Last edited:
You wouldn't want one HERE where at one point it's 127 miles to the next human being. The "Top Gun" school is along this road and I got 'buzzed' by what I think was an F 15 from behind while riding my motorcycle across there. He was just above the telephone poles maybe 40-50 feet off the ground and I was nearly blown off my bike when he passed. Lonliest Road I've ever been on and quite an experience I shall never forget :cool:

Phil

Last edited:
Moreso than the seeming craziness of cayrrying a tank of highly flammable liquid with you in a car is that with today's high pressure fuel injection systems, you're almost certain to have fuel sprayed all over hot engine parts in a major frontal collision. Why there aren't more fires because of this escapes me, but I'm happy to trade off maximized fuel economy for a simple carburetor and low-pressure fuel supplies; much safer and easiewr to maintain and repair too.
The inertial fuel pump cutoff switch prevents fuel being sprayed in a serious accident, all fuel injected cars have one.

Edit: A second, and equally important, issue that needs to be addressed is the charge time to go from empty to full. I can do that in less than 5 minutes with my ICE and end up with a 450-500 mile range. Currently impossible with any EV.
After you have driven 500 miles, the human driver requires a stop far longer than 5 minutes anyway! Even a quick break should allow a 50% charge with current technology.

If you really want a fast charge, get a hydrogen powered car. Currently there are not many hydrogen filling stations, but that can change, and likely will change since hydrogen makes far more sense for HGVs than batteries which would need to be pretty large.

For most people the EV is more convenient because most people charge them at home and almost never go out of range of home. The inconvenience of an occasional extended stop is minor compared to the amount of time saved by being 100% full every time you leave home.

It is no "problem" to drive a EV from the Danish capitol and down South in EU to say the French Capitol, but ! it have to be done in a new way, quite unlike the old way, and yes i will say the new way are annoying.
But ! that's just something our kids will have to get used to.
Mind you, if i was able to charge where i live ( not necessary fast charge ) and i could afford it, then yes i would buy a electric car for my next car, cuz with my drive pattern it will be no problem at all.
So if my landlord was obligated to make outlets for charging in the back yard, and i was able to afford a EV, then i would go for it.
CUZ while everything for unknown reasons are much more expensive in Denmark, then i think electric power are still cheaper than gasoline for mileage.

Here using public chargers at shopping centers and parking lots, well it will cost you a good bit more than if you was charging at home,,,,,,,,,, this i do find strange factoring in Denmark is the country it claim to be being all green ASO.
IMO any charger in public should be no more expensive than if you charged at home, but that's just me and i am known for my outrageous opinions.

My daily work requires a vehicle which carries 4m+ long cargo loads in the dry, has a payload capacity of 100kg+, and can handle very hilly drives of 2+ hours daily. Occasionally I'll need to drive four hours+ one way. AFAIK there's no EV's I could make use of which have an initial cost of ~$2K US which will likely serve me for several years without a major cash infusion for repairs.

Ah right, the old "it won't get me to my remote cabin in the woods that is range+1 miles away" argument.

Try driving cross country in an EV.

I have, it was fine.

Currently you can charge at around 1200 MPH max with an EV. Personally I need to take a short break after several hours on the road so waiting 20 minutes for a charge isn't a problem. I can't pee and then drink/eat any faster than that anyway. I suppose you could save a few minutes by peeing into a bottle as you are driving but it doesn't sound very safe.

You bunch of road warriors are crazy. I'm not going to drive hundreds of miles in a $2k junker or risk rupturing my bladder.

Maybe if they restricted the fill speed as gas pumps to 1 liter every 2 minutes, the "smokers" could get a taste of EV charge issues.

I do think the having to "plan" stops at on route fast charge stations are a drag, and the time it take, but this issue will probably be smaller and smaller as time and technology go on.
though as EV car numbers increase i can also see you arriving to a fast charge station on your long drive, and find all the spots taken, and so increase you time for that stop.
Anyway will probably never be a issue for me if i was able to afford a EV, but i do think my next car will be a smoker too, not that i want to i am forced to by the fact i am on a pension and can not afford a EV
Okay a gasoline car, well for the first 8 - 10 years i will probably be driving the banks car, but that's the same for most Danes, in my case CUZ i cant afford a big down payment, or larger monthly installments.

Yes there are or will be options to kill charge time, by spending money for food and drinks at a cafeteria, or spend money on something else, but then with emissions and cost you might as well have been driving a smoker ( i assume )

Last edited:

15 Cheapest EV cars in Denmark and price.

1. Seat Mii Electric - 22.178 USD
2. Skoda Citigo-e - 23.000 USD
3. VW E-up - 24.025 USD
4. smart four two - 29.500 USD
5: Smart four four - 31.041 USD
6. Peugout e-208 - 34.000 USD
15 on the list VW ID 3 - 41.388 USD

Tesla model 3 - 54.541 USD
The Honda e mentioned - 41.000USD for the basic model.

But i will have to stick to a price around 15.000 USD for a new car, and even gas car, that don't buy you much here.

PS. Driving a EV here i just found out are cheaper than a gasoline car,,,,,, but it is marginal.

CUZ while everything for unknown reasons are much more expensive in Denmark, then i think electric power are still cheaper than gasoline for mileage.
Electricity is cheaper, and here you can still go a long way on the motorway network with free charging unless you are traveling long distance daily.
Also, while liquid fuel is getting more expensive, electricity is getting cheaper as the wind farms take over electricity production.

Even the USA is taking a serious interest now, in secret!

Maybe if they restricted the fill speed as gas pumps to 1 liter every 2 minutes, the "smokers" could get a taste of EV charge issues.

I do think the having to "plan" stops at on route fast charge stations are a drag

I suppose to be fair you need those fast charge times because you waste so much time driving to petrol stations and standing around in the cold pumping it in. How many hours a year do you think are wasted filling your car up?

Say 10 minutes average per fill up including queuing. Say an extra 5 minutes because you have to go out of your way. Fill up every week. That's 13 hours a year you waste. And thousands of Euros.

I just plug in when I get home, takes about 10 seconds, and the car is full every morning. When I can't use solar it costs me about €0.01/kilometre.

Okay maybe I have to spend an extra 1 hour a year using public chargers, assuming I would otherwise have pissed in a bottle while driving on the motorway, but I think it's worth it to save 12 hours and thousands of Euros.

When I can't use solar it costs me about €0.01/kilometre.
How do you manage that?

Seems like €0.05/kilometre is about the cheapest for overnight (off peak) home EV charging.

There is never que at Danish petrol stations, at least not unless they have gas at half price, and i never run my tank below 1/2 empty,,,, or at least it is rare, so filling up the 20 L or so don't take long.
For a car with a drive of 20.000 Km every year the Danish price for a KM are EV = 3.02 DKKr / 0.45 USD, for a gasoline car ( a small eco one i assume ) the price are 3.20 DKkr / 0.47 USD

power price fluctuate but a rule of thumb is that here in DK 1 Kwh cost 2.25DKkr / 0.33 USD

There are cheaper places in EU / the world to charge your car.

Of course Danish power are that expensive cuz we have hi quality green power in our sockets, not low budget power like in other poor nations that have the audacity to compare them self to us ( irony )

Last edited:
PS. Those price to run a car / km above must of course be including acquiring the car ASO, cuz otherwise with a 3.20 DKkr / km for a gas car and a list price of 11 DKkr for a liter of gasoline, that make up for a very poor mileage.
So payment on your car / insurance ASO must be included in those numbers.

Back