Do I Need a Card Reader 0806 Camera

Imatk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Forgive me but I searched and could not find my answer.

Do I need to purchase a card reader for my 0806 camera in order to transfer / download the videos to my PC?

If I don't need to, how do I transfer / download the videos to my PC?

Currently the camera is plugged in via USB but the computer doesn't recognize the camera or anything so do I need drivers for the camera?

Is there a good place to download drivers for an 0806 camera?

Thank you

It's better to get a card reader to transfer files. Card readers aren't expensive or maybe buy a Micro SD Card that comes with a card reader ;) Not much micro sd card comes with card reader now though after looking through Amazon.. but a card reader can cost anywhere from $5 to $20.

Off my x camera i get 12 - 15 MB/s, now if i take out the SD card and out it in my card reader i get 90 MB/s off the class 10 U3 card.

Its not bad with the slow camera speeds if you just grab a single 3 minute file here and there, but if you have a trip lasting several houres you want to save, then the card reader is much more fun to deal with.

Offcourse a regular class 10 / U1 card will not give you 90 MB/s in a card reader, but it should at least give you 2 X of what the camera give in transfer speeds ( assuming the speed of my x camera is universal )

And 30 - 40 MB/s is better than 12-15 Mb/s, even for a guy like me which have pelenty of time.

Strangely when I plug my camera into my PC it doesn't appear in the file explorer menu.

So I think I would need some sort of driver to even be able to access it at this point. Because as of now I can't get videos off of the camera at all.

I cant remember if i ever tried to connect my 0806 to the computer, it might be the USB in only intended to provide power and no data thruput.

Have you tried other USB cables just for the hell of it ?

No I've only got the one, it does power up though so I'm guessing it just doesn't have the necessary drivers.

I'm going to get a card reader today and swap the smaller card with a larger one.

Strangely when I plug my camera into my PC it doesn't appear in the file explorer menu....

No I've only got the one, it does power up though so I'm guessing it just doesn't have the necessary drivers....
I may also be that your cable is a 'power only' cable without the data lines.

Last edited:
Got a card reader... can view the videos... but no audio.

There is audio in the file, but it doesn't play

if there is audio recorded but you don't hear it that's a codec issue, computer problem rather than a camera problem

Try using VLC to play the video. VLC usually handles codec issue that most other video players can't.

I am using VLC

Got some help in another thread, I had accidentally turned off the audio recording.

All is working now thank you for your help :)

Back