DOD MIRROR Dash Camera DVR F1.8 WDR + 3DNR 3" LCD RX7W

Hi most of the mirror cams are built for driving on the right hand side of the road as in USA not on left as here in UK I tried my friends mirror cam in my car and due to the camera position being on the passenger side in UK car if you have the boss for auto lights and wipers behind your mirror on the windscreen this blocks half of the cameras field of view works ok if you have a standard mirror fastened to the windscreen with a small sticky pad.

I have been searching for one that would have the camera on the opposite end of the mirror for UK use but so far only found one and that was out of stock and no knowledge of when they would be back in stock.

dpick1947

Any new info on the RX7W yet, I really like it.............

This does look promising. Too bad I already got an ABEO HDVR-150. The RX7W looks to have better video quality than the HDVR-150.

Hi most of the mirror cams are built for driving on the right hand side of the road as in USA not on left as here in UK I tried my friends mirror cam in my car and due to the camera position being on the passenger side in UK car if you have the boss for auto lights and wipers behind your mirror on the windscreen this blocks half of the cameras field of view works ok if you have a standard mirror fastened to the windscreen with a small sticky pad.

I have been searching for one that would have the camera on the opposite end of the mirror for UK use but so far only found one and that was out of stock and no knowledge of when they would be back in stock.

dpick1947

Hi, I have one in my RHD car. I actually find it better for me to have the LCD on the left passenger side because I still have more than 2/3 of the mirror for my viewing. With the LCD on the extreme left, I can comfortably shift the mirror to show most of the road in front of me & with the 100% of my rear windscreen in full view (with the screen out, more of my rear left will show but I find it acceptable).

Sorry guys, I haven't been back here for awhile. My RX7W is plugging away and I haven't really had any problems with it. There have been no issues with the memory card, it has never frozen, locked up, etc.. it has been pretty reliable. So I've just been living with it every day and as I said this is my first dash cam so I'm getting used to it and I think I really like the idea of having one.

Just a few comments on the RX7W...

- I get a lot of 'g-sensor' triggers on the dash cam. There are settings to adjust this but I think they are all a little too sensitive. The problem I think is that the cam is mounted on the rear view mirror and that tends to amplify the g-forces on the sensor any time you go over a bump. So on the one hand, the g-senor does work properly. It senses a bump and moves the recording to a separate folder on the memory card, but the problem is it does this much too often. So after awhile I'll need to empty out that folder before it gets too full.
- There is still no English ROM update for this camera but once I set it up I really don't need it. I have a full translation of the menus from Chinese to English. I haven't needed to get into the menus for awhile.
- The camera does its job, and I think for a rear-view mirror cam it is a good camera. But I think in time I will change to a windshield mounted camera some day and sell this one.
- I didn't post any videos of this camera because I'm not sure my videos would be a good indication of others expected video quality. I have a tinted windshield so it reduced the amount of light through my windshield. The day time video is pretty much the same as the LS-300. The night time videos are probably just a little darker than the LS-300. But for the purposes of a dash cam it is just fine. I have the exposure set to +1. I had it on +2 but that washed out bright spots too much.

I tested RX7W, and it was necessary to tilt the camera to the left, along with the original mirror. You can see the results at review at Auto-Kamera.cz (at the end of the review, the first two videos - night and rainy). The sunshine video shows how camera shoots without adjusting (100% horizontal, no tilting). Anyone has the same experience or is it just my car / mirror?

I had to tilt the camera as far to the left as it would go, then I had to move the mirror a little also to get it in the middle of the car. But still it was not quiet enough to be exactly center, but good enough to record.

I should have asked, what version of the firmware do you have? Does it support English?

Thanks

I have the new firmware for this camera. It is Ver 20131031. It supports English as well as other languages. Not sure if there are any other changes. I can't get it to install. I've done just about everything I've read on updating DoD firmware. There are no instructions. Here's what I've tried, if anyone has any suggestions I'd welcome them.

- formatted SD card in the camera and on my PC. no luck
- firmware file is the only one on the SD card, re-wrote the file several times, downloaded several times
- Inserted in the camera with the camera off, hit the ON button, but does not update.
- Held the ON button for 5 seconds, does not update
- Did this with it plugged into a USB charger, and also without being plugged in (battery charged), does not not update
- hit the Reset button, then did the steps above, still does not update
- each time I wait for the firmware to write then try to turn it on. It does not come on by itself. Sometimes I have to unplug it and remove the SD card to get it to come back on.

I've run out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thanks Jokiin.... I know you are pretty busy so thanks for helping.

Well I reformatted the SD card again, this time I did a low level format (not the Quick Format). Then I expanded the .rar file directly onto the SD card making sure the filename was correct and there wasn't some goofy non-binary file transfer. I compared the file size and it was exact. But still no update. I'll keep trying but at this point I'm stumped. I've followed the instructions that were provided from the vendor. I'll go back to them and ask for ideas.

Hi, can anyone upload the stock firmware for RX7W?
Thank you.

Hard indeed. I hope that someone still has a firmware somewhere backuped.
I tried the dod-tec official website but they said they do not have it any more ( go figure.. ). Was able to find firmware for rx7w+ and rx8w, but no luck with rx7w :(

Hard indeed. I hope that someone still has a firmware somewhere backuped.
I tried the dod-tec official website but they said they do not have it any more ( go figure.. ). Was able to find firmware for rx7w+ and rx8w, but no luck with rx7w :(
what problem are you trying to fix?

I got this from ebay - brand new, stuck on the welcome screen. Nothing worked - reset, button combinations, multiple microSd cards, nothing. Flashed it with the rx7w+ firmware ( this was the only one that I was able to find that the dashcam would accept ) and now it passes the welcome screen and reaches the language settings prompt. The arrows work, but when a language is selected the device halts. Also, now connects to PC as a mass storage.
This leads me to believe that the correct firmware might revive it.

Not really... been sitting in the "for repair" box for months if not years... if you are talking about warranty return/service - I got it as a faulty unit, so no such thing.

oh well I guess you and the seller both knew where you stood with this one, sometimes a gamble pays off, sometimes not

Back