DOD RX8W

one of my 7 inch mirror mount dvd screens broke and its glass...

Its passed its uk MOT for 5 years in a row even with the rear camera displayed during mot....

wouldn't be without it now..

Could you point us towards the specific price of legislation regarding this as I am having problems finding it. I notice panoramic wide view mirror attachments are available in stores selling driving aids for the disabled. Would they be classed different?
One of my friends didnt pass NCT ( MOT ) with his clip-on mirror. When he asked mechanis to show the law, guy just said: "he is not the lawer and have no time or duty to explain which exact law". Probably mirror didnt had needed certificate markings for EU ( Ireland ).

One of my friends didnt pass NCT ( MOT ) with his clip-on mirror. When he asked mechanis to show the law, guy just said: "he is not the lawer and have no time or duty to explain which exact law". Probably mirror didnt had needed certificate markings for EU ( Ireland ).

Jokiin seems to be well versed on the legal requirements and I'd have to go along with what he says. What I can't get my head round is that if the unit has an EC approval it has to have an E Mark too as EC approval covers ALL legal and Safety requirements for the EU
Anyway.. Speed_Chaser or anyone who has a DOD RX8W could you please give me the measurement from the edge of the mirror to the flat edge at the base of the camera. My existing mirror is 265mm wide and I want to find out if the RX8W will fit on flat without exposing the existing mirror. I've contacted DOD and a UK supplier but they haven't got back to me.

Jokiin seems to be well versed on the legal requirements and I'd have to go along with what he says. What I can't get my head round is that if the unit has an EC approval it has to have an E Mark too as EC approval covers ALL legal and Safety requirements for the EU.

you can have a certificate for whatever you are testing for, there's no legal requirement for E Mark on old vehicles for example so it can be legitimately be sold for that purpose, nothing to do with the other approvals it might carry

you can have a certificate for whatever you are testing for, there's no legal requirement for E Mark on old vehicles for example so it can be legitimately be sold for that purpose, nothing to do with the other approvals it might carry

I'm not doubting what you are saying it's just that to someone who isn't dealing with these regulations on a daily basis it can get confusing, for me any way, as some seem to contradict each other and the way that they are written they are open to how they are interpreted.

it's not very straightforward I know, there's plenty of non compliant product around, even major retailers have stuff that's non compliant from time to time so as a consumer it's very hard to know what's ok and what's questionable

So I received LS460W and this one is performing like it should with my mirror mount. However I found out that screen cannot be set to turn off after 15 seconds like on RX8W, minimum is 3 minutes. Can this be changed somehow, firmware update maybe?

Pics of the install coming later.

None of the UK DOD retailers stock the RX7W+ or the RX8W with no information given if and when they will.
Very disappointed with DOD as I contacted their head office, Canada, and UK regarding domension that wasn't given on any of the literature of these cams and I'm still waiting. UK retailers were advertising these cams but when I placed an order I was told that they weren't in stock.
Can't find a rear view mirror mount dash cam that has GPS unless you go android and I'm not keen on fitting a window mounted one that I'd have to remove when I leave the car.

Yeah DOD service is not greatest, but I got good service from where I ordered mine. That's an official distributor of DOD. They do also have RX8W in stock, not only on website: http://www.gpsparkas.lt/products/en/159/2560/sort/1/filter/0_0_0_0/DOD-RX8W-Driving-Recorder.html

No other proper mirrors, especially with GPS, you're right. But I went for LS460W after problems with RX8W and am really happy now. It is performing well and is amazingly well hidden when my car is parked. It cannot be noticed without looking specifically. I covered the white texts with black electrical tape of course.

There is another downside to add to the list. I noticed that memory card is impossible to get out of the camera with short nails as it's so deep in the slot. That is no big deal though. On RX8W problem was the mirror was so close to the roof that it had to be tilted forward to get the card out as the space between mirror and roof was too small to get the card out

41axm6QE4GL._SX425_.jpg

Yeah DOD service is not greatest, but I got good service from where I ordered mine. That's an official distributor of DOD. They do also have RX8W in stock, not only on website: http://www.gpsparkas.lt/products/en/159/2560/sort/1/filter/0_0_0_0/DOD-RX8W-Driving-Recorder.html

after problems with RX8W and am really happy now.

Specifically what problems did the RX8W give you? I am interested in said camera but.. there does not seem to be much information on it.. and for $339 Cnd a bit pricey to take a gamble on.
How do / did you power it? No mention in any of the literature other than it is 5v. How does one get video out of this.. it is not wireless.. is there a mini USB port?? so many questions.. not answers

Hey Ralph! Yeah there's a lot to think of but most of your questions are universal, nt camera-specific. So this is why there is no such info with the camera. There is not much info on the camera neither though as it's so new model. Many things are same as on previous RX7W model.

The RX8W was shaking. Please see my post on the first page of this thread there is more specific info on this. Nothing could be done to the issue so I returned it.

It can be powered by connecting one end to the usb port of the camera, another to the cigarette lighter of your car. If you want to hide the wire completely you can search for "hardwiring instruction" to find tips. Basically you should buy cigarette lighter extension and connect it to positive/negative(=ground) feed and then route the cigarette lighter connector to it. Somewhere under the panelling. This is what I am planning to do. While testing I just made direct connection leaving the wire visible. Please note you cannot cut the connector off and connect the negative and positive wires directly to the car wiring as like you mentioned it is 5V and car is 12V. The conversion happens inside the connector so it's necessary.

It is not wireless, correct. You can connect USB to USB cable to it instead of the power cable and transfer material to your PC or eject the memory card which you need to buy separately and insert it to your PC, then transfer the files like from USB drive. Camera is using mini or micro usb port I am not sure which. But you use it to charge it and to transfer files if you don't want to eject the memory card.

Best of luck and if you want to know more feel free to ask. These are the same questions I was thinking before buying the camera. It was my first one :)

Cig lighter extension:
HTB1UTHnHFXXXXaLXVXXq6xXFXXXK.jpg

So finally got couple of pics of my install. Changed the way it's installed a bit, now it's mostly hidden behind the mirror. Don't know if it's good or bad, will have to drive a bit and see how it goes. It was easy to calibrate as I saw just enough of my dash to adjust the angle. Otherwise I won't need the display. Before it was on the right side from center so that I could see display and left buttons were about at the center. Quite nice but it was more in my field of view so I decided to try this, more hidden option. Now the lens is also totally centered. What do you think?

ueOkXpxl.jpg

8zUSJYel.jpg

GNJM6jQl.jpg

Looks good..I guess.. I am leaning towards something more "stealthy" and going wifi to eliminate haveing a camera with a screen. Hard to see from your pictures as to what kind (or to what) your mount is attached too. At the moment.. among many other concerns is if I have enough room from mirror to windshield to place the camera high enough.. placed in the area covered with that screen on the windshield and thus be more invisible from the outside.. and inside

Yeah stealth is nice that's why I chose mirror camera at first. But it's not all that easy to get everything at once especially if looking for a good combo.

My mount it attached to the mirror's holder. Please see the pic of the mount I posted couple of posts before and you will understand how to look :)

Well I think it depends on the camera and it's mount whether you will be able to mount it the way you want...

After driving around for a while and testing the camera I came to a conclusion that I like the camera's position and the way it records from there so I decided to keep it behind the mirror. This means I finalized the install by hiding the wire.

bPD8W3Sl.jpg

jgcf5HDl.jpg

I think and hope this is the end of saga about getting new dash cam for myself. Hope I will be a happy user of the LS460W from now on. Thanks for reading and participating guys :)

I think some of these cams are just far to big, with today tiny electronics why cant they make something a lot smaller, I just wouldnt like that hanging off my mirror

Well, it's not THAT big. There are many bigger cameras out there. And some smaller ones aswell, like Mini cameras and Blackvue cams. But those just don't have as good price and quality correlation as this one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DOD 10
Back