DoD Suction cups in the cold? LS430W LS300 etc

bn880

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been trying to use the LS430W suction cup mount in the cold here last few days and it simply doesn't seem to hold.

Cup at -2C and windshield at -8C the cup would not hold more than 3 seconds.

Cup at 21C and windshield at -16C the cup would hold for about 30 seconds first time until it cooled off then fell off. Then held 2s per attachment after.

I've even tried this by mounting upside down on a dash disk. Still no hold in the cold.

I think this is the same mount as on LS300 LS300W LS400 LS430 etc.

So the question is, does anyone use these suction cup mounts in the winter, or is the solution always: winter time = install the tape version of the mount?

I haven't permanently mounted mine yet as I need to keep it hidden from potential passengers until Xmas ;)

EDIT: The problem may have been due to a thin layer of frozen water vapour on the windshield.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's off. It works very well in the warm also. made sure it's clean as well

Yeah, it's off. It works very well in the warm also.

might be just the quality of the rubber they've used, are you pressing toward the glass before locking the lever on?

also it might help to warm the glass a bit first, once on it shouldn't come off due to temp changes

might be just the quality of the rubber they've used, are you pressing toward the glass before locking the lever on?

also it might help to warm the glass a bit first, once on it shouldn't come off due to temp changes
Yep I tried pressing before locking, and without pressing. I guess that's how it is with the rubber they used yes. Guess I'll just use a different camera until xmas then I can mount the permanent one for LS430W.

I think this is one of those things camera reviews should mention (test) though. I'm pretty sure it's not just my suction cup mount. (in addition to the blurry image in very hot days)

Yep I tried pressing before locking, and without pressing. I guess that's how it is with the rubber they used yes. Guess I'll just use a different camera until xmas then I can mount the permanent one for LS430W.

I think this is one of those things camera reviews should mention (test) though. I'm pretty sure it's not just my suction cup mount. (in addition to the blurry image in very hot days)

This suction cup mount was discussed many times. I got my LS300W from very first bunch when it was released in February I think. Can confirm that even till now it holds strong. Even on dotted area of rearview mirror sunshade, but later there were similar reports on lose suction from same range dash cams. If we talk about DOD (TioTech ) products, then I can assume that they might chose cheaper parts later on after first bunch was released ( this is only my speculations ). Mine is still holding strong. Other similar suction mounts I had ar so-so, some has good hold, some are not, so I guess its just like lottery.

Indeed. Could be just bad QA as well.

I've been trying to use the LS430W suction cup mount in the cold here last few days and it simply doesn't seem to hold.

Cup at -2C and windshield at -8C the cup would not hold more than 3 seconds.

Cup at 21C and windshield at -16C the cup would hold for about 30 seconds first time until it cooled off then fell off. Then held 2s per attachment after.

I've even tried this by mounting upside down on a dash disk. Still no hold in the cold.

I think this is the same mount as on LS300 LS300W LS400 LS430 etc.

So the question is, does anyone use these suction cup mounts in the winter, or is the solution always: winter time = install the tape version of the mount?

I haven't permanently mounted mine yet as I need to keep it hidden from potential passengers until Xmas ;)

Never had a negative thing to say about the DOD mounts. Never had one let go even in -8 temps.
Personally I would clean the mount and window with alcohol/water mixture, then get the car interior with mount inside at a comfortable temp..defrost vents on.
Locate suction mount on clean glass (no raised dot areas), with suction lever released press and hold for 10sec then activate lever to lock.

Using this method I have never had a suction mount let go even in sub zero temps.

Well now you've heard something negative. :) It doesn't work when it cools off below zero. Sure if i can defrost the windshield and get everything above zero then it will hold, but I am not going to do that in the first minutes of driving.

I will try cleaning it with alky , 99% sure it wont help (the windshield is pretty clean, would affect also warm performance)

https://www.google.com/search?q=suction+cup+in+the+cold

Lots of similar issues even with Garmin devices. As niko said, I think it depends on the rubber composition from a batch of dashcams, as well as just the temperature of the glass vs temperature of the cup. if the cup isn't warm enough to retain it's own temp after mounting (until windshield warms up) then it will be too stiff, and may drop. (if the rubber is of the type that gets hard, and i can confirm this one gets hard)

Last edited:
Well now you've heard something negative. :) It doesn't work when it cools off below zero. Sure if i can defrost the windshield and get everything above zero then it will hold, but I am not going to do that in the first minutes of driving.

I will try cleaning it with alky , 99% sure it wont help (the windshield is pretty clean, would affect also warm performance)

https://www.google.com/search?q=suction+cup+in+the+cold

Lots of similar issues even with Garmin devices. As niko said, I think it depends on the rubber composition from a batch of dashcams, as well as just the temperature of the glass vs temperature of the cup. if the cup isn't warm enough to retain it's own temp after mounting (until windshield warms up) then it will be too stiff, and may drop. (if the rubber is of the type that gets hard, and i can confirm this one gets hard)

At this time my DOD LS300W is still holding strong on glass area, but not any more on dotted area of rearview mirror sun-shade, so you right, over the time temperatures up / down plays role on rubber hardness.
Many Korean GPS and Dashcam manufacturers using suction cup mounts from Akron brand, which are not cheap, but at least reliable. So there is a difference between 2-3 usd mount and 10-15usd mount. It's all about price ;)

At this time my DOD LS300W is still holding strong on glass area, but not any more on dotted area of rearview mirror sun-shade, so you right, over the time temperatures up / down plays role on rubber hardness.
Many Korean GPS and Dashcam manufacturers using suction cup mounts from Akron brand, which are not cheap, but at least reliable. So there is a difference between 2-3 usd mount and 10-15usd mount. It's all about price ;)

Yep, I'm also using RAM mounts for my Sony and don't have the temperature problem. (much bigger and heavier mount) I cleaned the glass and mount with alky but have'nt had the windshield at very low temperatures yet to test. But will report back if I get a chance in the next few days or weeks. (it takes a long time to cool off the car even at -18C outside)

Below -5 ive never had any luck with these going on. I didnt have a camera in my one car for 2 weeks because it was -20 to -35 every day but we just had a chinook and it warmed up to -5 so i had the defroster on the windshield on high heat for 20 min of my drive ( i was sweating...) and i had the suction cup on top of the heater vent. Then pressed as hard as i could (didnt crack my windshield this time!) for 10 seconds and it stayed on!
It isa challenge though

Last edited:
Order the adhesive mount if the suction is not working for you.

I managed to attach the suction cup mount after few attempts, and it was -15C. Not simple, but stays there for several weeks already.
Besides, I also got adhesive mount with my LS430W, but decided to leave it for now.

I managed to attach the suction cup mount after few attempts, and it was -15C. Not simple, but stays there for several weeks already.
Besides, I also got adhesive mount with my LS430W, but decided to leave it for now.

Hehe, yeah, but imagine trying that every day. (also notice I quoted glass and cup temps, not ambient temps) The reality is that unless you have sensors (permanent or IR measuring device etc) you are usually not able to estimate the temperature of the windshield. (exception is if car sits for ~24h or more and it's overcast)

Hehe, yeah, but imagine trying that every day. (also notice I quoted glass and cup temps, not ambient temps) The reality is that unless you have sensors (permanent or IR measuring device etc) you are usually not able to estimate the temperature of the windshield. (exception is if car sits for ~24h or more and it's overcast)

For what application would you remove the suction cup every day?

For what application would you remove the suction cup every day?
Already explained this earlier. But the application is: to remove the dashcam and signs of it.

DOD mirrors buckle bracket
This product may need to contact

Attachments

• DOD1 (1).jpg
    DOD1 (1).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DOD1 (2).jpg
    DOD1 (2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DOD1 (3).jpg
    DOD1 (3).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 15
I wanted to report that my original issues may have been linked to a thin layer of moisture frozen on the inside of the windshield. (frost) The suction cup seems to at least hold 100% solid if left on for many days, cold or not.

Back