Does my SC have issues?

Bakin' In TX

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
Hey everyone, me again asking for some ideas from you experts. I have noticed that for the past week or so, the dashcam started saying (very randomly) that the card needed formatting and all data would be erased (this would be after a few hours of use, or a couple of recordings).

I noticed that towards the end of the day, around 10 or so GB of data, the files would start saying this:

DATAKAM PLAYER 6.0.0.22, Win6.1
8/30/2016 10:20:12 PM
-
Error
-
Cannot open video file
C:\MOVIE\2016_0830_172434_026.MOV

Codec not found. Splitter, Splitter

Most likely, the file is broken.
Try to repair it.

And its been happening very frequently. I have tried using a generic 128GB SD card (class 10), as well as a Samsung evo+ type 1, class 10 sdxc and even the transcend 32gb that shipped with the camera.

I have the latest version of the firmware on it and the GPS (dont think its related). I tried doing the recovery as suggested by the software and after several hours it finally failed. The cards (all of them) were formatted with the FAT32-Formatter software thats posted everywhere, and then formatted it in the camera itself.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone!

the cards should be formatted in the camera only, try formatting them back to their default settings using this https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ at this stage a full format might be best and then format in the camera, although I'd say avoid the generic card, start with the 32gb Transcend card and go from there, failed recoveries are not a good sign though

@Pier28 will be able to help you out if you have an issue with any memory card that they supplied you with the camera

Last edited:
by the way, whats SC???

Thanks everyone, and Pier28 for standing by. I'll format the cards as outlined and will let you guys know.

Also, meant to say gc, not sc. Typo

:D

Hey everyone, happy friday.

So I did a full format on all three cards (generic 128gb, samsung evo+ 128gb and transcend 32gb) using https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and then a format in the camera itself.

Both the generic 128gb and the 32gb Transcend failed after about 2 hours total time of recording (about 28 files total). I didnt get a chance to test the samsung evo+ 128gb because it got in late from work, very tired and promptly started working on case of Shiner (I'm Texan, so of course that's the only thing we drink down here).

I am getting nervous about this. I am considering buying a Transcend 128GB off amazon (linked in a post in this forum), and test. I hope its not the camera thats having an issue. The camera is about 3 months old and has served me well.

Ideas and suggestions are always welcomed.

Thanks again y'all!

Yes, the 32gb that comes standard with his camera package.

Try to test with the original included transcend card for a bit if possible.

I did. As I mentioned in the follow up, after 2 hrs or about 28 files in the transcend 32GB, the last 10 or so files gave the same error: "Codec not found. Splitter, Splitter" and the files wouldnt open. They are about 300MB each or so.

Do you want me to test it longer?

What player are you using? Are the files that don't open in the middle of a trip or end of s trip?

DATAKAM PLAYER 6.0.0.22, and also VLC. Most of the files that go bad start around the middle of the trip, and of course towards the end of the trip. If I start a new trip (turn off vehicle, camera shutting down) the first half or so of the files are ok, and then towards the middle of the trip (sometimes a bit later) the files all go bad.

I should mention that this is happening with the camera using the supplied cigarette lighter adapter. As far as I can tell, the camera never loses power during the trip and I can see (somewhat) the "rec" light blinking off and on, indicating that it is recording.

if it's a camera issue we'll replace it for you without a problem, the issue you describe is rare but normally relates to poor or fake memory cards, the Transcend cards don't normally give us issues, failure rate to date on those has been less than 1 in 1000

whatever the case may be @Pier28 will help you out so don't worry about that

if it's a camera issue we'll replace it for you without a problem

Glad to hear that!

the issue you describe is rare but normally relates to poor or fake memory cards, the Transcend cards don't normally give us issues, failure rate to date on those has been less than 1 in 1000. whatever the case may be @Pier28 will help you out so don't worry about that

Which I kind of expected of the generic card, but the samsung? Its supposed to be a good quality (and was expensive) card, so I was surprised. I certainly did not expect it with the supplied 32gb Transcend, which is why I am considering buying a 128GB transcend to test.

Thanks. We have a holiday monday so I think we'll wait for tuesday.

@Pier28

Do you have a direct email or phone number I can use? The camera is now doing this with all cards, brand new, used, etc. I bought (and subsequently returned) a test Transcend 128GB, formatted it as instructed here, and it does the same thing.

Sounds like the problem is with the camera.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    113 KB · Views: 11
Back