Does the 3M ruin a tinted window when taking it off?

ilovepurple159

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I've got tints on the rear 2 passenger seats, along with the rear window. I've installed my dash cam (Thinkware U100) on the front but have been contemplating on putting it on the back because of the tint. Not because I dont think it will be able to see through it (I hope) but because if I decide to take it off that it will rip a piece of the tint. Any horror stories or should I be fine?

Aftermarket tint can be a problem, for sure you will want to "saw" the mount off very careful, and also be careful rubbing the remainder off the tint film.
So as i recall from other users in here it can be done.

Many cameras today come with a clear static sticker to put on glass, and i assume it would also work on tint, if you dont want to stick camera to the glass itself.

This guy is using that approach on his windscreen.

Maybe your camera also had one of those in the box, you just bypassed it as "wth is this"

I've got tints on the rear 2 passenger seats, along with the rear window. I've installed my dash cam (Thinkware U100) on the front but have been contemplating on putting it on the back because of the tint. Not because I dont think it will be able to see through it (I hope) but because if I decide to take it off that it will rip a piece of the tint. Any horror stories or should I be fine?

It's a pain in the ass to remove the 3M. I've scratched my tint (bit impatient) in a few spots. Ideal way to remove is to take a hair dryer or heat gun, heat up the area of the windshield, and saw it with fishing line. Takes a while and patience. Then use WD40 to remove the adhesive.

I am an impatient person at times, try yanking the fishing line further down with a plyer (dont do) and slipped. Scratched tint. I've removed successfully above without any issue. I wasn't in a good mood and wasn't very patient the 2nd time so ya, my own fault.

The best method we've found is to use a heat gun or blow dryer to soften the adhesive, and then carefully peel the adhesive off. As long as you're only heating the adhesive for short durations (no more than 10-15 seconds every time), the heat won't affect the tint adhesive from loosening.

Yes the 2 sided sticky pads are more easy to work with in hot weather, or artificial heated up a bit, and as you will need to do the "saw" approach it is imperative you dont saw into the tint, though i dont really think thats a problem as the plane of the glass stop you from sawing too much in that direction, on the other hand not having the "saw" parallel to the glass have in some cases meant the person have sawed into the plastic of the mount.

TBH i have never had this issue myself as there are no tint in my car, only the dotted area which do indeed make removing left over residue a bit harder.
I am hoping the static film trick work better, and the guy have a piece of that in the box he got the camera in.

The best method we've found is to use a heat gun or blow dryer to soften the adhesive, and then carefully peel the adhesive off. As long as you're only heating the adhesive for short durations (no more than 10-15 seconds every time), the heat won't affect the tint adhesive from loosening.

Takes a while with a heat gun. See above on my impatience. Works like a charm but don't expect miracles. Heat it, saw some, heat it saw some (fishing line), etc. Rinse and repeat. Pain in the butt....But does work.

but because if I decide to take it off that it will rip a piece of the tint.
As long as it is a few cm from the edge of the tint then it will be fine, if you stick it at the very edge of the tint then it will be able to peal the tint off.

Removal of 3M VHB tape is actually very easy when you warm it up with a hair dryer for a few minutes.

I also perform better if a girl prepare me a wholesome meal first, that get all levels including temperature up inside me :)
Heat as long as there are not too much of it, is beneficial in so many ways.

Aftermarket tint can be a problem, for sure you will want to "saw" the mount off very careful, and also be careful rubbing the remainder off the tint film.
So as i recall from other users in here it can be done.

Many cameras today come with a clear static sticker to put on glass, and i assume it would also work on tint, if you dont want to stick camera to the glass itself.

This guy is using that approach on his windscreen.

Maybe your camera also had one of those in the box, you just bypassed it as "wth is this"

I would think those things would lose adhesive in hot vs. cold. Especially with the weight of a dash camera. Not sure long term viability of that method. No one wants to come out and find their dash cam having hit their dash and fallen on the floor. Or dangling.

I would think those things would lose adhesive in hot vs. cold. Especially with the weight of a dash camera. Not sure long term viability of that method. No one wants to come out and find their dash cam having hit their dash and fallen on the floor. Or dangling.
The camera is held to the glass by suction, the sticker can support many Kg, no chance of it falling off.
(As long as you stick the camera in the middle of the sticker, not at the edge.)

I get that regularly, or at least a couple of times every year with the suction cup phone holder mounted off the driver side door.
My zoom camera also on a suction cup also come loose now and then, but it is apparently a better quality than the Samsung galaxy 2 / brodit universal doc i have slammed together to hold my phone.

yes i would think you want the static sticker to be as large as possible, 2 of these actually come with the A139 camera ( i think they are about 3 x 3"
But you probably have to mount as close to the center of the pad as you can without not getting the not clear as glass static pad in the footage.

I have not tried to use one as i have my windscreen camera on the dotted area, and i dont think they would work on the rear glass with the heater lines.

I have contemplated if you could get a water repelling clear sticky pad to out in front of my side cameras ( on the outside ) but i dont think they are properly clear though you can get some for your mirrors.
Will probably have to just use some form of repellent on the glass,,,, never really got around to try something last summer.

The camera is held to the glass by suction, the sticker can support many Kg, no chance of it falling off.
(As long as you stick the camera in the middle of the sticker, not at the edge.)

Those static stickers do lose "adhesive" qualities over time.

I could do a static test on my living room window, and then use the Zenfox T3 for static load + a few knickknacks for additional weight to shut up any doubters / really put the damn thing to the test.
But of course no driving vibrations on my window.

Ill see what i can do tomorrow after i have recovered my friends CCTV system, better go to bed too, getting back up in 6 hours,,,,, if i get any sleep at all, but i try at least.

Those static stickers do lose "adhesive" qualities over time.
They are not held on by adhesive, some of them do have a bit, but that is to make them airtight to seal the suction, others just use electrostatic. I've not seen one lose adhesion, but there do seem to be several different designs.

All suction mounts are meant for temporary usage. If you want to use one for long-term you need to check it regularly, resetting it as needed.

As to the 3M and window tints I have no experience, but if I were worried about that I'd buy a less sticky version of the tape to begin with, and making sure a falling cam won't be damaged I'd work my way up from there till I found the minimum tape type which worked. Or I'd buy or devise another way of mounting the cam.

Phil

Thanks for the replies guys. What would you guys recommend I modify this with to have temporary suction, basically be able to remove it with ease instead of the 3M tape that comes with this. A suction cup hookup sounds amazing, just not sure how I'd attach it and make it work with the rear camera (shown below)

1614081412916.png

Some people use a "radar detector' mount for this- they have a large flat surface you can attach to. Usual sources like Ebay, Amazon, AliExpress and such. Many types, one should work good for you.

Phil

Back