Door dinger placement

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A139, VIOFO A139 Pro, VIOFO A119 Mini 2, VIOFO A229...
I have a A139 with three cameras, one forward, one backward and one facing the driver side window from the passenger window.

Do people get two more cameras for both sides to catch door dingers?

Yes I have no life

you will only catch the act itself with down the side cameras, which in dashcams are few and far between.
Still i would not like to be without my out the side cameras.

you will only catch the act itself with down the side cameras, which in dashcams are few and far between.

I agree that you probably won't capture the actual point of contact/impact but a well positioned camera tilted downwards with a good wide lens on it will capture quite a lot. Good audio helps too. If someone opens their car door into yours you'll hear it hit your door and probably capture it on the video as well. The same if someone were to come by and key your car. You'd capture the perpetrator in the act and the sound of it happening even if you don't capture the actual key ripping across your paint job.

This old frame from a Mobius with the B lens captures everything all the way down to the pavement and the wider C2 lens does an even better job.
leftmobius.jpg

What out the side cameras do you have?

I have a 3 camera VIOFO A139. I'm considering getting another one so I can use the rear and IR camera for sides. Or 2x Garmin Mini 2, which could double up as easily movable cams for rental car etc.

I have a 3 camera VIOFO A139. I'm considering getting another one so I can use the rear and IR camera for sides. Or 2x Garmin Mini 2, which could double up as easily movable cams for rental car etc.

The Garmin Mini 2 seems like it might be a good option. Small, discreet, relatively inexpensive compared to another A139. A not so inexpensive two channel option might be the Viofo MT1 motorcycle camera which has two very small camera modules with 170º angle of view lenses. The main consideration with side cameras is how to mount them. Ease of mounting depends a lot on which vehicle you've got. It is also vital to avoid having the cameras or cables interfere in any way with the deployment of side curtain airbags, otherwise the cameras and/or cables can become dangerous projectiles in the event of an accident.

The Mini2 is probably a good side cam if it's limited mounting angles work for you. I did discover that the 57 mount interchanges, so with it in hand too there's almost certainly a good mounting scheme available. 3m sticky mount for both cams, so not a good choice for rentals but both cams come with 2 mounts so one cam can serve two cars.

Something like Tesla does would likely be best for this; a cam mounted to the far front looking rearward. Just not an easy thing to do well with most cars as the cams we're used to (even the 'remote' types) as they would be rather exposed and vulnerable.

Phil

I am using the K2S system as side cameras, mounted on fixed glass on the rear doors.

It is also vital to avoid having the cameras or cables interfere in any way with the deployment of side curtain airbags, otherwise the cameras and/or cables can become dangerous projectiles in the event of an accident.

He doesn’t mention it in the video, but probably be wise to disconnect the battery before venturing behind that panel.

Last edited:
I have never disconnected the battery, i dont think there are much chance for a accidental deployment as the trigger for the airbags are not in the bag itself ( at least i dont think so )
BUT ! If you are the cautious type disconnecting the battery + side are done easy and quickly.

I just got to wondering, are airbags fired with the car battery, or could they like Dahscams have a capacitor reserve, maybe step up in voltage for the detonator ?

I have a A139 with three cameras, one forward, one backward and one facing the driver side window from the passenger window.

Do people get two more cameras for both sides to catch door dingers?

Yes I have no life

The problem here is having a fixed window that doesn't need rolled down or extends out with the door. Not all Sedans have one, so using a camera to peek out the side isn't always possible. This is more of an option on SUVs, MiniVans, etc. Some Sedans do have a fixed window for dash camera placement like the Honda below.

You'd simply reach the window the same way you reach the rear. Either tucking the cable along the headline where the weather stripping goes or along the floor. Needing to remove pillar trim and route the cable out of the way of the side curtain where necessary. Generally the A and C pillars on modern cars.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Many DCT members have devised all kinds of clever workarounds for safely mounting side facing cameras on their doors or door frames even if they don't happen to have a fixed glass panel available. As long as you are careful to avoid the side curtain airbags you're good to go.

IMG_0597.png

C5dvRwz.jpg

1 - 1 (3).png

upside down wedge cam.jpg

@Dashmellow

Some of these are clearly better workarounds than others, but all not without some issue.

Image #1 - Driver exits car and risks knocking the camera or hitting it with his body - Not a great solution

Image #2 - This is probably the best and most feasible if the camera can be positioned in a way the window won't rub the camera while opening and door won't smack the camera while closing.

Image #3 - Similar to #2 but moving it over to the right might be a better solution. So long as Front passenger Chair doesn't collide with it.

Image #4 - Not sure if this would be possible on a car with powered locks and windows. Or on all vehicles. But is an option here of course if done right.

Ideally, the best case is a car with a fixed window, but the above are definitely varying takes on working around that issue. Personally, a barrel shaped camera would probably have the most chances of success (Image #2) without being in the way.

@Dashmellow

Some of these are clearly better workarounds than others, but all not without some issue.

Image #1 - Driver exits car and risks knocking the camera or hitting it with his body - Not a great solution

Image #2 - This is probably the best and most feasible if the camera can be positioned in a way the window won't rub the camera while opening and door won't smack the camera while closing.

Image #3 - Similar to #2 but moving it over to the right might be a better solution. So long as Front passenger Chair doesn't collide with it.

Image #4 - Not sure if this would be possible on a car with powered locks and windows. Or on all vehicles. But is an option here of course if done right.

Ideally, the best case is a car with a fixed window, but the above are definitely varying takes on working around that issue.

What you think is problematic for other people whom you don't know may not be for them.

If you can't find a solution that works for you, or just don't know how, then don't do it. It's that simple.

What you think is problematic for other people whom you don't know may not be for them.

If you can't find a solution that works for you, or just don't know how, then don't do it. It's that simple.

Problematic in the sense of being accidentally knocked, cord yanked, camera catching door or window, or being pulled upon. Let's not twist my words. The goal is always "out of the way" without creating a problem.

Some solutions may require a compromise if you want that particular capability.

Correct. Ideally, you'd have a fixed window . Not possible in all vehicles, especially many sedans. So the next best thing is what will work in the least intrusive manner. So yes, compromising to some degree over having side protection and maybe giving up some convenience.

My first side cameras, or at least one of them, well in case of a airbag worthy event, no doubt the Mobius on the L side would have been ejected, but as it was on the back door and i pretty much never have people on the back seat i did not see this as a issue.
The R side innovv C3 that was mounted half way down the back side of the B pillar, that might have stayed in place.

In the absence of the fixed window to mount off, then the top of the door trim where the peg to lock / unlock the door was in the old days thats probably the best place for a install, but the shape of the surface here are often anything but flat, and it is within reach of child's fingers.
So even here the are good and bad things to consider.

If anyone contemplate making a system / set of cameras, especially designed for side use, there is a range of things to keep in mind, but it is my feeling something generally universal can be made, but you even more so need to keep your focus here.

Back