DR650, iPhone app not finding Blackvue EDIT: it works! Disabled VPN

Benzin

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Just got the DR650 today from Amazon.de. Powered it, found it in my iPhone wifi settings, typed the default "blackvue" password and seems to connect as usual. But the iPhone app 1.507 keeps telling me me "Could not find the Blackvue". I have iPhone 6, iOS 8.1 and Blackvue English firmware (DR650GW-2CH_v1.001ENG(2014.10.24)). Camera works fine, it saves to the SD and I can see the videos on my Mac Viewer.

But I am unable to connect with the iPhone app so unable to position the cam etc. I have deleted the app, reinstalled it, turned my iPhone off and restarted, tried to "forget this network" and joining Blackvue wifi again and it seems to work with the default password.

Running out of ideas. Read the Blackvue Manual, the app manual and Googled the whole evening.

Just mount it with the word on the end slightly below level go for a drive pull card out put in computer and look at it.

Just mount it with the word on the end slightly below level go for a drive pull card out put in computer and look at it.
That would do it yes. But it seems I am doing it right, right? And that would mean I have a brand new but faulty unit in my hands. And that would mean I am sending it back. I'll try couple of times more and then email Amazon.de (or the company selling this product on Amazon.de, have to look into the return logistics). No way am I accepting a 400 EUR faulty electronics...

Thanks for the first reply to my first post! Anyone with a new DR650, could you walk me thru what you did? Power on, find the wifi, enter "blackvue" and then iPhone app should connect?

Oh, Blackvue app just updated to 1.510, no help.

sometimes its the Iphone Not always the beautiful thing its supposed to be

sometimes its the Iphone Not always the beautiful thing its supposed to be
Ok, I'll have a go with my earlier iPhone 4S. Another iPhone but still a different unit.

Reset your iPhone network settings and try again. Settings/general/reset

Reset your iPhone network settings and try again. Settings/general/reset
Tried that, no luck. Tried to connect with my old iPhone 4S and it works. Then came to think that maybe the F-Secure Freedome VPN app on my iPhone 6 might have something to do with this and disabled VPN and I got an immediate wifi connection with my iPhone 6! Otherwise really-really happy with the Freedome but I guess in this case as the wifi connection is not an internet access (?) the VPN just does not connect and that's all there is to it. (I guess.)

Thanks everyone!

Amazing how many times the camera gets rubbished when it has nothing to do with it.
Have installed at least 6 Blackvue cameras and all are still working for nearly 3 years.
Only one issue which required a $3 Lipo battery

Amazing how many times the camera gets rubbished when it has nothing to do with it.
Have installed at least 6 Blackvue cameras and all are still working for nearly 3 years.

But I did not rubbish the cam, at least I did not intend to. I actually said the cam is working fine, I just cannot connect to it with my iPhone. And as nobody nowhere seemed to know anything about this kind of connection problems it was possible I had a faulty unit. I think it's great that on this forum we now know this probable VPN issue! First ever..! Maybe Pittasoft could add this info on their web page, FAQ etc. I'll let them know.

It's nice to hear that you have years of experience with BlackVue so I'm confident that I too will have hassle free years ahead :)

Last edited:
format your card in computer with fat32...this will fix it

I wonder have you resolved this problem?

Great if you have experience any clues why a new 650 2 channel camera pack on the second day the speaker has suddenly tuned into under water mode, its so distorted you can not understand it? I have re-booted the camera several times?
I also have a sound issue with recordings, it sounds like the ventilation is on full when its off!?
Cheers

Appreciate your reply, it was purchased from Blackvue, is this a straight forward request for a replacement based on the faults ? Would it be a "known" fault ?

Cheers

I don't think it's common but it's certainly not the expected result, best to talk to your place of purchase

Reactions: GRG
Appreciate your reply, it was purchased from Blackvue, is this a straight forward request for a replacement based on the faults ? Would it be a "known" fault ?

Cheers
I can not fault the supplier, they have offered to replace.
Yes a fault, and they have agreed that such a simple issue should be addressed its only a mic and speaker fault, in the world of electronics that's hardly the biggest fix in the world!

I'm a lot happier the replacement camera speaker works.

Back