DR650GW-2CH wasn't recording, missed rear-end accident, no video of crash

Nixter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have to be honest and admit that it was probably my fault that the DR650GW-2CH was not recording, I had fiddled with the G-force sensitivities and somehow made it record periodically. But the question I have is what settings are needed to always be recording everything when powered? I'm interested in knowing what settings I need to accomplish this. Will a reset leave it in a mode that does this? I'm afraid to install it in my other car if it might do the same thing again. Putting the settings on the SD card seems strange and having to mount the SD card in my PC to change the settings overly complicated. I have terrible luck getting anything to work with Wi-Fi so I would like to avoid that option if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Nixter.

I would never have G sensor on while driving, dont make sense if the camera are recording all the time anyway. ( and most all cameras should record all the time when on )
I use the event button for little things i want to save, that include a minor fender bender if i should ever get into one of those.
If i get knocked out in a major crash i put my trust in sufficient large memory card, and the fact power in my car should be turned off pretty fast.

Also if you have a card full of event files, that can not be overwritten, that leave little room for the regular driving files, so with a small memory card you could potentially only have minutes of that footage if events take up the rest of the memory space.
In a 2 channel system you should at least have a 128 GB memory card,,,,,, some sell their cameras with ridiculous small memory cards.

If you dont use the camera for parking mode, you need to do 2 things first.
1: disable anything to do with G sensor and motion detect
2: format your memory card in the camera

I am not familiar with the blackvue cameras personally but most new dashcams put events in a folder named RO ( Read Only ) the regular files are for the most stored in 2 ways.
A: in the same folder with the cameras alternating so you have front camera ( often suffixed A ) and then rear camera ( often suffixed B )
2: other cameras put the files in their own folder, so the front camera footage go in a folder named front, and the rear camera footage go in a folder named Rear

In this video you can see the file structure of my SG camera, it have the 2 feeds in the same folder ( movies ), each file named by time/date and then the suffix A or B to be able to tell the cameras apart.

Can you not set the G sensor sensitivity to zero as you can on the 550 and the 750?

On both my 750s and my 550 before that, I set the up/down sensitivity to zero and the sideways and fore/aft sensitivities to 1.
This seems to cut down a lot of 'false alarms' due to potholes, but still leaves it working for sideways/rear end/ forward shunts.

The camera should record all the time when it is powered and make E files when a bump is encountered., The G setting will not affect the continuous recording, just the number of E recordings that you get.
If your cam is not recording all the time as you suggest in your first post, then there is something wrong with it and it's not the G setting.

If you need just come on back, there should be quite a few with actual blackvue experience in here able to do even better support.
The card you have gotten i think will be fine, blackvue are one of the more card sensitive brands, but it is a endurance so it have warranty for use in a dashcam too, which regular SD cards do not have.

I think default the blackvue like any other camera should record as soon as it power on, normally event detection are also off or at least set to the lowest sensitivity so potholes and poor roads should not trigger all the time.

Your model are a older one so i dont think it recycle event files too, but most new cameras only set aside a little of the memory space for events, and then when that memory space fill up and you have a event the oldest event file will be deleted to make room for the new one, just as regular recording files also do when the card fill up.
So old cameras they could potentially fill up with events and not have room for anything else, also one of the things that triggered the need to keep a eye on your memory card every now and then.
Personally i look over my 128GB memory cards once every 1-2 months, and here i focus on first and last file in drive sessions and that they start and stop in a place that seem normal ( that's normally at home - at work - at your favorite places to get stuff - and family )
Only play a few seconds of every file i check, so that + some random files and i use about 5 minutes on the computer with the memory card in my card reader.
If memory card or camera are beginning to go "funky" you should be able to catch it that way as missing files or corrupted files, and not end up like one of the many " i got a dashcam 2 years ago put it in my car and forgot all about it, and now i have a accident it have not recorded "

Sadly dashcams are not quite set and forget yet, but the good ones are fairly un - problematic to own and operate, and most likely the memory card will be the weak link with their finite number of read / write cycles.

I'll keep my eye on it, I will check the unit and see what has been recording, if it is still skipping and not recording at all times, I'll get rid of it.

I am thinking my 650GW finally gave up the ghost. The rear camera went out over a year ago. Past couple times I took the Jeep out shopping I noticed that camera has not powered up. Eventually I'll make sure it's not just the power source. But I think it's three year oil change will get priority.

Back