DR900X-2CH does not turn off according to low voltage cut-off with hardwiring cable

alextruppel

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi everyone!
I have recently purchased a DR900X-2CH and I've had an issue which I cannot figure out. Maybe someone has had a similar problem and can provide some insight...

I hardwired the dashcam to my car's battery using the provided hardwiring cable and two fuse taps. The hardwiring was done correctly: when the ignition is turned on the camera starts normal recording, and when the ignition is turned off the camera immediately goes into parking mode. I want to put minimal stress on my battery so I set the cut-off voltage to 12.5/24V (the attached screenshot shows the camera settings). Current firmware version: 1.006.

The problem:

I wanted to test the voltage cut-off. So last night I ran the engine for a while fo make sure the battery was at least minimally charged. Then I turned off the engine. Then I checked the voltage of the battery directly on its terminals and the multimeter indicated 12.62V. This measurement was performed at around midnight. Then I closed the car and left. I can confirm that the dashcam automatically went into parking mode (green recording light). As mentioned, the cut-off was set to 12.5V. The camera was connected to home wifi during this test.

This morning I received a notification at 7:45am saying "Disconnected" (I also got "Disconnected"/"Connected" at 3:00 and 3:02 am due to the auto-reboot feature set for 3am, but that's irrelevant). At 9:30am I went to check. The dashcam was indeed off. I opened the car and the battery voltage read 11.90V on the terminals. Luckily the car still started.

What's going on?? How was the battery allowed to go to 11.90V?? There's only two options: 1) The battery only discharged from 12.62 to 12.5 with the dashcam on for 7.5 hours, and then in 2 hours went from 12.5 to 11.90V with the dashcam off. Impossible. Or 2) The dashcam did NOT turn off at 12.5, it somehow only turned off at 11.90-11.91 and in those 2 hours after, the car discharged it just a tiny bit more.

Conclusion:

The camera did not turn off at the appropriate voltage level. I can accept that if I set the cut-off to 12.5, the battery may read 12.45V (due to measurement errors for example) when I perform a test like this, but not 11.90V. Currently my only option is to turn off the "Battery protection" toggle in the setting, but then the camera does not record while parked and that is not what I bought this dashcam for.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6293.PNG
    IMG_6293.PNG
    154.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I actually set mine to 11.9 to capture as much as possible. 12.5 was shutting off too soon (IMO). 2015 Porsche Macan S.

I have the same camera, and I run it just like you do, hardwired to the vehicle battery. My vehicle is brand new. Mine always shuts off on voltage (12 volts) before it hits the time (12 hours).

Based on the information provided, the next logical troubleshooting step would seem to be to check the battery voltage as soon as you get the notification that the cam has shut itself off.

Other likely possibilities are an older battery or other parasitic power draws on the vehicle.

There are also several other threads in the BV section here about battery issues like this worth reviewing. Maybe something there will help.

Based on the information provided, the next logical troubleshooting step would seem to be to check the battery voltage as soon as you get the notification that the cam has shut itself off.
It's what I'm doing now, I started a new test this morning.
Other likely possibilities are an older battery or other parasitic power draws on the vehicle.
The battery is <3 years old, not impossible but probably unlikely.

In any case, I have verified that the battery level goes below 12.5 with the dashcam still on. This morning I started a new test, same exact settings and procedure as explained above. After a few hours I went down to check and the battery was at 12.21V and the dashcam was still on. Parsitic draw does not explain this. And even if the battery is so old that as soon as I turn off the motor, the voltage drops below 12.5V, the dashcam should just turn off immediately. Of course, thats not very useful, but that's how it should work given the settings I chose (12.5V cut-off).
There are also several other threads in the BV section here about battery issues like this worth reviewing. Maybe something there will help.
Yes I've been having a look, so far no luck...

It's what I'm doing now, I started a new test this morning.

The battery is <3 years old, not impossible but probably unlikely.

In any case, I have verified that the battery level goes below 12.5 with the dashcam still on. This morning I started a new test, same exact settings and procedure as explained above. After a few hours I went down to check and the battery was at 12.21V and the dashcam was still on. Parasitic draw does not explain this. And even if the battery is so old that as soon as I turn off the motor, the voltage drops below 12.5V, the dashcam should just turn off immediately. Of course, that's not very useful, but that's how it should work given the settings I chose (12.5V cut-off).

Yes I've been having a look, so far no luck...

I agree, seems odd.

After you finish your current test, I suggest setting the cut-off voltage lower and trying again.

You could also disconnect the cam and see what the voltage drop is over 8 hours with no cam connected as a control.

Of course, it could always be the cam. My money's still on the battery. Even brand new batteries can have bad cells right out of the gate. Many things could cause the battery to discharge faster than normal over time.

Personally, if your battery's three or so years old, I'd personally replace that as a last step.

Sounds like an issue with the hardwire kit or dash cam, unfortunately. Either not relaying the voltage of the vehicle correctly or the cutoff isn't working. Extremely rare but we've seen this happen.

After many more tests, it seems that the dashcam does consistently turn off at a specific battery voltage level. It's not exactly 12.5V, it's below that somewhere in between 12.0V and 12.4V, but it does not seem to discharge the battery too much that the car complains or has problems starting up. So I would say the problem is adequately resolved. Thanks for all the help!

Then I turned the engine off. Then I checked the voltage of the battery directly on its terminals and the multimeter indicated 12.62V.
You have a secondary problem. There is no way I would want a starter battery at 12.62v after I turned the engine off.

7312345596149358259.jpg
This is the sort of figure you should have at least after a 24 hour battery rest period on a old battery (I will be replacing the battery before our next outback trip as it is 4 years old).

Look at replacing the battery if in the outback. It's a long way from services & you will still have to wait days or a week to have a road train drop off a replacement battery. A problem we have down under.

20180604105615.JPG

Quite frankly, the small size of starter batteries in cars these days there is no way I would connect a dashcam for parking mode even in a city environment.

Simply install a DC-DC charger & as much auxiliary batteries as you need. I have 4 x 26AH gel batteries.

Hopefully you can sort out the dashcam's problem.

Back