DR970X Box Plus Front Camera Mount Options

Halxen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there any aftermarket mounts for the front camera that use either a 1/4-20 UNC standard threaded camera mount, a GoPro mount, or a 20mm ball mount? I'm planning using the DR970X Box Plus in a Jeep Wrangler with an upper dash mounting system and would rather mount the front camera to that instead of to the windshield.

I was thinking about 3d printing an adapter for the 970X plus box front camera so I can use it with the blendmount, which is designed for the non-"box" blackvue cameras

1711381482968.png

Reactions: cpo
I was thinking about 3d printing an adapter for the 970X plus box front camera so I can use it with the blendmount, which is designed for the non-"box" blackvue cameras
I'd be interested if you do this... I am using a blendmount for my interior IR camera.

so heres how I'm using the blendmount with the DR900x right now. I removed the middle linkage and have a 3d printed bracket attached to the main arm for the IR camera
1711656649465.png

Taking a look at the DR970x plus box cameras, the mounting mechanism isn't easy to reproduce due to the size/shape of the ratcheting teeth.
So first idea is just to create a "landing pad" of sorts that is attached to the blendmount. Utilizing the existing box camera mounts with the foam adhesive, mount the IR camera to the main camera, then mount the whole thing to the landing pad. I guess the downside of this is that, though the design is fairly simple, will probably block the status lights/speakers on the cameras.

1711656767493.png
1711656803623.png

any thoughts?

I honestly think just the landing pad would be exactly what I would want. Unfortunately, sticking the two cameras would not work for me (although I did notice and think it's cool that they accounted for this in their front cam mount design). As you can see in my video, I wanted the interior camera under the mirror, but I prefer to have the front camera all the way up at the glass.

Edited to add a screen grab from the video so you don't have to watch it if you don't want to. :)

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 5.40.43 PM.png

I honestly think just the landing pad would be exactly what I would want. Unfortunately, sticking the two cameras would not work for me (although I did notice and think it's cool that they accounted for this in their front cam mount design). As you can see in my video, I wanted the interior camera under the mirror, but I prefer to have the front camera all the way up at the glass.

Edited to add a screen grab from the video so you don't have to watch it if you don't want to. :)

View attachment 71646
oh ya I see yeah - the housing on the EV6 is quite large, so you probably won't be able to put both the main and IR cameras on the blendmount. You would need a rather long extension on the blendmount to position the main camera where it is now.
Not impossible to do but I'm wondering, since it will be cantilever'd off the rear view mirror, if it will shake when the car is moving.

oh ya I see yeah - the housing on the EV6 is quite large, so you probably won't be able to put both the main and IR cameras on the blendmount. You would need a rather long extension on the blendmount to position the main camera where it is now.
Not impossible to do but I'm wondering, since it will be cantilever'd off the rear view mirror, if it will shake when the car is moving.
Yeah... I would only use the blendmount for the interior camera, and would leave the main camera just stuck to the glass. I'm interested in your "landing pad" still, if you can make me one.

Yeah... I would only use the blendmount for the interior camera, and would leave the main camera just stuck to the glass. I'm interested in your "landing pad" still, if you can make me one.
yup heres the one I prototyped for the main cam

The IR cam mount is about 1mm narrower, so it will fit fine on this one

1711992795351.png
1711992814435.png

I have an AnkerMake M5 with the upgraded all metal hotend. I've used it recently to create an ABS mounting block for a DR970X Plus and I just created an ABS mounting block for the 70mai rear camera to mount it inside of the rear glass. There wasn't a good reason/place to mount it outside (requires drilling a hole in my car - not doing that for a temporary installation).

1711999862342.png

Last edited:
I don't own a printer either - I like to use craft cloud to source small, cheap 3D prints.
I had two of these printed at the University of South Florida 3D printing lab. It cost me $1.00 for both. They don't print for non-students/faculty but fortunately I know people... ;-) I already have the inserts sitting at home. @tonysunshine, Are you okay if I share your .stl in an upcoming update video on YouTube? I plan to update on the replacement cameras Pittasoft sent me, and some installation updates. 1712579957799.jpeg

Oh ya of course thats no problem. Hopefully it will help some other people out.

Actually, if you have any feedback or want to change anything on the "landing pad" design, could you let me know?
I haven't attempted the box cam install in my car yet so not sure how well the landing pad works/fits. Waiting for some right angle MCX cables to come in.
Thanks

I had two of these printed at the University of South Florida 3D printing lab. It cost me $1.00 for both. They don't print for non-students/faculty but fortunately I know people... ;-) I already have the inserts sitting at home. @tonysunshine, Are you okay if I share your .stl in an upcoming update video on YouTube? I plan to update on the replacement cameras Pittasoft sent me, and some installation updates. View attachment 71751

I show the "landing pad" installation in this video...

I show the "landing pad" installation in this video...
Thanks for the video. Sorry seems like the fillet'ed corners of the IR cam mount are a lot bigger in radii than the front camera, so the curvature of the landing pad doesn't match.
I'll see if I can design a version of the landing pad that matches better aesthetically to the IR camera
1712773213533.png

Thanks for the video. Sorry seems like the fillet'ed corners of the IR cam mount are a lot bigger in radii than the front camera, so the curvature of the landing pad doesn't match.
I'll see if I can design a version of the landing pad that matches better aesthetically to the IR camera
Personally, it doesn’t bother me at all. I’ll never probably even hardly look at it again now that it’s installed.

Back