Driving in Seoul - any other Korean dash cammers with tips?

brightsky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

I'm currently visiting Seoul, South Korea, and have been navigating the busy streets using my Viofo A129 Plus dash cam. The traffic here is definitely an adjustment from back home!

Lane discipline is very different and there are cars packed onto roads that seem narrower than what I'm used to. It's been an adventure just trying to squeeze between vehicles at busy intersections.

I'm curious if any other dash cam owners have traveled through Seoul before. Any tips you can share for driving here? I'm especially wondering about proper lane etiquette or unusual road rules I should be aware of.

It's fascinating seeing how differently road users behave compared to my home country. I'm loving the culture but have to admit the tight streets keep me on my toes. Any advice from fellow Korean travelers would be appreciated!

Hello @brightsky. Great choice for a dashcam. Driving in Seoul was a challenge for me, as some drivers seemed to be very careless, especially at night. My advice is to start driving in the rural areas first until you get used to the roads, and avoid driving at night if possible. Cities like Seoul and Busan can be very crowded – plan ahead for traffic delays. In cities, find parking lots near malls and tourist spots. Do not park in places that are not designated as parking areas, as you can get a ticket for parking illegally. Obey the speed limits and be careful of speed cameras, especially on highways. Finally, remember to strictly follow all traffic rules, as enforcement is monitored everywhere with CCTVs.

Highest and biggest dashcam install ratio in the world, where all makes such and Blackvue, Thinkware, and Vugera come from.

You'd be surprised that you won't find a single car with a Blackvue.

I'm glad my tips were helpful, @brightsky. That's a useful resource, but for driving specifically, I recommend checking out specific guides focused on driving in South Korea for foreigners.

Highest and biggest dashcam install ratio in the world, where all makes such and Blackvue, Thinkware, and Vugera come from.

You'd be surprised that you won't find a single car with a Blackvue.
No way, really? That is crazy to hear Blackvue isn't popular there at all. As the originators of the dashcam, you'd think they'd dominate the Korean market. Makes me even more curious what brands Koreans do prefer.

No way, really? That is crazy to hear Blackvue isn't popular there at all. As the originators of the dashcam, you'd think they'd dominate the Korean market. Makes me even more curious what brands Koreans do prefer.

Blackvue was one of the brands that kicked off early but Thinkware killed it eventually. Blackvue has 0% market share in South Korea (their home market).

Leading brands are Thinkware, Finevu, and Vugera.

Back