Dual channel dashcam recommendation

integer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for these forums - there is a lot of helpful information.

I went through a lot of threads but am having difficulty in finalizing something for my needs. Appreciate recommendations from the community.
  • Dual channel (front and rear)
  • Needs to be reliable
  • A screen would be preferred to check if it is recording
  • Not interested in hardwiring
  • Good video quality for day and night (4K not needed)
  • No need for cloud storage, IR vision, and any other non-dashcam features
  • Budget - Around $200 if possible
  • Location - Northeast US
I looked at a few brands and their models but it is overwhelming
  • Viofo - I had the A119S from a few years ago, but it only worked for about a year. There are a few models now, but not sure if reliability has improved.
  • Street Guardian - There are a lot of models on their site - both dual-channel and optional dual-channel models. Not clear on all the differences between them.
  • Garmin - A few models look nice but people warn about the Li batteries
  • Vantrue, Blackvue, Thinkware - Mix of positive and negative reviews. Also, a lot of models available.

Thanks for these forums - there is a lot of helpful information.

I went through a lot of threads but am having difficulty in finalizing something for my needs. Appreciate recommendations from the community.
  • Dual channel (front and rear)
  • Needs to be reliable
  • A screen would be preferred to check if it is recording
  • Not interested in hardwiring
  • Good video quality for day and night (4K not needed)
  • No need for cloud storage, IR vision, and any other non-dashcam features
  • Budget - Around $200 if possible
  • Location - Northeast US
I looked at a few brands and their models but it is overwhelming
  • Viofo - I had the A119S from a few years ago, but it only worked for about a year. There are a few models now, but not sure if reliability has improved.
  • Street Guardian - There are a lot of models on their site - both dual-channel and optional dual-channel models. Not clear on all the differences between them.
  • Garmin - A few models look nice but people warn about the Li batteries
  • Vantrue, Blackvue, Thinkware - Mix of positive and negative reviews. Also, a lot of models available.

1. Viofo A129 Duo - Very Reliable. Chinese "Support" though. You'll get more help here than through their support itself. Front + Rear 1080p.
2. Street Guardian - Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO - Australian / American Support (English Speaking) - Highly Rated Product

Either one, I'd recommend a hardwire kit.

Unit with LiPo batteries vs SuperCap are generally to be avoided. Those batteries wear out, are less heat resistant than a SuperCap, etc. Usually found on cheaper brands of Dash Cameras.

I've run 2x A129 Duos for years and never had an issue (uses SuperCap). Again, people speak very highly of Street Guardian, too.

Viofo A129 Plus Duo or Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO+.

Viofo A129 Plus Duo or Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO+.

The Pro+ has a different shaped camera. Matter of preference I guess. Not sure if there are any technical differences??

The Pro+ has a different shaped camera. Matter of preference I guess. Not sure if there are any technical differences??

What’s new in the SG9663DCPRO+?

SG9663DCPRO
vs SG9663DCPRO+
  • Updated Compact Rear Camera with recessed port
  • Updated components and material for increased heat tolerance
Regular PRO is also not being sold on their own website and likely has been replaced with the PRO+.

Regular PRO is also not being sold on their own website and likely has been replaced with the PRO+.

Thanks. Didn't catch that when I looked at comparison chart. So the Pro+ is the way to go then.

FYI: I see the text now. Probably should go at top of their page vs. at the very bottom! Letting customers know there are revisions in the Pro+.

Thanks. Didn't catch that when I looked at comparison chart. So the Pro+ is the way to go then.

FYI: I see the text now. Probably should go at top of their page vs. at the very bottom! Letting customers know there are revisions in the Pro+.
It is at the top of their page that I linked. I did not have to scroll at all.

It is at the top of their page that I linked. I did not have to scroll at all.

I guess I should have phrased it better. It's below the description of the camera and you have to scroll to see it. But that may be my resolution setting.

Either way, appreciate you highlighting the differences and pointing out that information.

Thinkware U1000 pro

Vantrue N4...benefit of a third (inside) cam for almost the same price point of $205.

Apples vs oranges. The Thinkware U1000 and Viofo A139 have connectivity capabilities which the Vantrue lacks. There's other differences too. The N4 may be good for it's price if it does what someone needs but it can't be directly compared to other cams which do more.

Phil

For what it's worth, I've had the Viofo A129 Pro Duo freeze on me a few times since I installed it a few months ago. I fixed it by unplugging and plugging the power cable. I try to make sure the buttons are responsive before driving now. I probably should have been doing that to begin with. I unplug it every day to remove the micro SD car, so I didn't think I would have any issues with it freezing up during operation.

Back