DVR 027 causes radio interference?

ddac

Reaction score
I just purchased the DVR 027. Took it out on a test drive and I'm overall happy with its quality. One HUGE problem. With the power connected, I get so much interference that I hear nothing but static on the radio.

Once I unplug the power, the radio works fine.

Question: Does anyone have an recommendation on which power cord (12v to 5v converter) to buy? I want to replace the OEM converter.

Another question.

I think I want to hardwire the dashcam. Much cleaner this way. What is the best way of doing this?

Have you guys ever tried one of these "add a circuit" things? http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHA200 ... pg__header

This seems to be the easiest way. Turn two circuits into one?

I'm assuming I'll just have to:
1. open the fuse box in the car.
2. Look to see where the cigarette socket fuse is.
3. Pull it out.
4. Insert that add a circuit thing in there
5. Put two fuses in (one for the cigarette socket and one for the new device)
6. Cut off the cigarette lighter wire that came with the dash cam
7. Connect the positive end into the add a circuit thing
8. Connect the ground wire somewhere in the car???
9. Tuck away all wires.

Is there a better/easier way to hardwire?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've experienced this problem with my '007. It's really annoying but I've not got around to tackling the issue yet. It impacts my FM radio reception and also kills reception my 2m/70cm amateur radio handheld.

I don't use the supplied adapter, but rather a hard-wired 5v voltage regulator. Unfortunately it still does it even with that! I've not tried wrapping foil around the camera to see if it helps - perhaps you could try? If it does then the solution would be to open the camera and line it with shielding material. I do suspect that the ground connection on the power supply wire is acting as an antenna though and this will require looking at filtering the power supply.

I will investigate properly when I can.

Where did you get the voltage regulatory from? What does it look like?

Wire a cigarette lighter socket under the dash somewhere unseen, and plug your camera into it...

I thought about doing that. An easier way would be purchasing a 1 to 2 cigarette lighter splitter and mount it by the driver's footwall. However, using the same power supply will yield horrible static (so much static that I hear absolutely nothing when I tune into any FM stations).

That's why I wanted to try out a new cord to see if it'll alleviate some or all the static.

Does anyone know what this particular tip for the power supply is called (the part that you plug into the dashcam....is there a specific name for this type of tip)?

rjgscotland said:
I don't use the supplied adapter, but rather a hard-wired 5v voltage regulator. Unfortunately it still does it even with that! I've not tried wrapping foil around the camera to see if it helps - perhaps you could try? If it does then the solution would be to open the camera and line it with shielding material. I do suspect that the ground connection on the power supply wire is acting as an antenna though and this will require looking at filtering the power supply.
Even when the power cable is only connected to the camera and not to the cigarette lighter socket, DAB on my car radio is dead and the FM band full of noise when the camera is running. So I suppose that your suspicion is right. Probably it is a faulty design of the camera.

Mine causes Radio interference as well however my truck has two cigarette lighter outlets. If I plug the camera into the outlet closest to the drivers side it creates heavy static, but if I plug it into the outlet on the passenger side the static is minimal and really only noticeable while listening to talk radio. So maybe if I add a outlet by the passenger side door it will go away altogether? :?: :idea:

I have the 207 which may charge from the USB, but while connected won't record.

I just got my DVR-027 and had little, if any, FM interference. I wonder if it has anything to do with antenna placement. I drive a Honda Element, with the antenna on the top middle rear of the car, and I'd guess most cars have the antenna in the front, either in the windshield, or on either side of the hood. That is a total guess, of course.

Today, I bought this power chord. The plug 3.5/1.35 mm fits and the voltage is set to 6V. No interference at all. I used a weak FM station to test it. There was no noise coming from the power adapter.
Unfortunately, the cable is too short, but now I will look for a way to hardwire the DVR027.

Back