DVR-207 hardwired and.. hourglass??

stefan15

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just trying to determine why my DVR-207 is behaving a little unusual.

Used this to create a USB port from a 12v lead:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Functional-New-D ... 0922660257?

Turning it on gives me this:
9072774846_f2749807e9_z.jpg

Unplugging it results in shutting off.

While the battery is in, it just doesn't charge the battery. The lighter adapter car charger works fine.

So what's the deal?

Thanks!

It is not designed to turn on and start recording using a USB wire. It is acting like it's connected to a computer instead.
You might try a different USB cable to get it to charge, but I do not think it will power on and record via any USB cable.
You should use the original charger and this instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271124593283?ss ... 1436.l2648
It's more practical since you can always use a USB bullet charger if you change cameras and go with a real USB powered cam (DVR 027, 207 are not)

Ah too bad. I had read on here that it was possible. Good to know. I'll use the adapter you posted instead.

Hey guys keep this thread going, I have tried something similar, connected via origonal USB cable that used to plug into cigaret lighter, I used the cig lighter plug from the end and hard wired to a 12v source giving me 5 volt out put, the camera sometimes starts recording, but most times comes up with a USB screen showing that it is connected to power maybe for charging or something,,

I have tried something similar, connected via origonal USB cable that used to plug into cigaret lighter, I used the cig lighter plug from the end and hard wired to a 12v source giving me 5 volt out put,

Hi there... As mentioned in a previous post, connecting the camera via its USB port makes the camera behave like it is connected to a computer and puts it in mass-storage mode (where you can access the memory card to download videos to your computer). The camera is designed to behave normally (start recording when it receives power) only if you connect power to it via the Nokia-type plug on the side. The input voltage in that plug is also 5V so your existing hardwiring should work fine, you just need to change the end plug from USB to the Nokia-type in the end. If you look for the plug in Radio Shack's Enercell line of products, the "H" tip (orange) is the one that will work.

Thanks for that, my situation may be different, I dont think I have a genuine camera, and dont have the nokia dc plug on the side. The camera I have, can charge the battery while recording, it switch's on automatically when the key is turned on, and switche's off automatically, (with a few second delay) when the key is off. It has been in use for about a year now in a Mits Van by having it plugged in via the cig lighter plug, it has been succsessfull and worked well. Since putting a new camera in the van, I transferred the camera to my BMW E39, while plugged in to the lighter plug it worked well, so I located a wire in the head room that come on with the key connected via a cig lighter plug and hard wired to the camera, this is where the problem occurs every now and then it films and records ok but mostly starts up with the USB option, Im generally quite electrically and electronicly minded, even if I cant spell it and still think there may be another solution here for me,, What do you guys think,,, Peter,

I've heard BMWs are particularly touchy when it comes to hardwiring something. From memory, I believe the computer monitors your regular circuits (interior lights, exterior lights, etc.) and might actually behave differently when it detects more load than normal in any circuit. The camera takes such a small load that the computer might be behaving differently each time you turn on the car. You might want to try to piggy-back your hardwiring from the same fuse as the cig lighter which you know worked well before...

I think I may have solved the problem, the camera is behaving as it should , coming on with ignition,recording, and going off when ign turned off, (with a little delay). I dont really know what I done apart from charging the camera battery, trying a shorter USB cord and also isolated the two inner connections of the USB cable.

Back