Episode 3 of Bad Drivers of Metro Phoenix

Phoenician

Reaction score
Country
United States

I recently posted a new episode on my ongoing project of creating dashcam videos from the Phoenix area. I considered changing the channel name as per previous feedback but decided to keep it for now since I wasn't sure how it would work exactly in YouTube (I'm new to content creation). I generally do bad driving/close calls first followed by a personal mistakes/interesting things section. As always I appreciate views and feedback to help improve my work. I'm using the A118C dashcam which does great during daytime but struggles at night. Thanks for your time and consideration!

i don't think the gray suv in the parking lot stole your right of way - you both turned at the same time, and even if you were signaling, it doesn't give you the right of way since you aren't on the "road" both of you turned onto.

some of the white text you used for captions blended into the date/time stamp of the camera, which made it hard to read. if you can add a border/outline around the captions, that will cure that issue. i also had to pause it for almost every caption because while reading the caption, the event happened and i missed it so i had to rewind and watch again.

passing the PT cruiser? not a problem. he wasn't accelerating in the acceleration lane, so it was the right thing to do to pass him. him putting on his signal does NOT give him the right of way, especially if he's still going way too slow to merge onto the highway safely.

it is not an overreaction to flash your lights at someone who merges in front of you going way slower than you. it's THEIR job to match the speed of the traffic they're merging with, not yours. just last night i had a similar situation. i was accelerating towards 65-70 while still on the on-ramp because that's how fast traffic was moving on the main lanes. i was quickly catching up to a camry doing probably 45mph, so i went ahead and moved into a main lane - doing 70 mph. i figured he was going to do what a lot of people do there and just stay in that lane, which becomes exit only, and exit the freeway. then the pea-brain driving the camry thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and get in front of me and then HIT THE BRAKES. i had to hit the brakes hard, and also laid on the horn and my brights (just pushed it forward to turn them on, not flash them), dropped back down a few gears, then passed him on the right (at full throttle), in the remainder of the acceleration lane, then i cut him off as close as i possibly could to see if maybe it would wake him up. there wasn't anyone in front of him and there was no reason for him to have hit the brakes AT ALL. i couldn't pass on the left because there was an 18-wheeler to my left, and more cars coming up behind in my own lane - at the posted 70mph limit. i refuse to be put into a dangerous situation because of someone else's ineptitude.

i don't think the gray suv in the parking lot stole your right of way - you both turned at the same time, and even if you were signaling, it doesn't give you the right of way since you aren't on the "road" both of you turned onto.

some of the white text you used for captions blended into the date/time stamp of the camera, which made it hard to read. if you can add a border/outline around the captions, that will cure that issue. i also had to pause it for almost every caption because while reading the caption, the event happened and i missed it so i had to rewind and watch again.

passing the PT cruiser? not a problem. he wasn't accelerating in the acceleration lane, so it was the right thing to do to pass him. him putting on his signal does NOT give him the right of way, especially if he's still going way too slow to merge onto the highway safely.

it is not an overreaction to flash your lights at someone who merges in front of you going way slower than you. it's THEIR job to match the speed of the traffic they're merging with, not yours. just last night i had a similar situation. i was accelerating towards 65-70 while still on the on-ramp because that's how fast traffic was moving on the main lanes. i was quickly catching up to a camry doing probably 45mph, so i went ahead and moved into a main lane - doing 70 mph. i figured he was going to do what a lot of people do there and just stay in that lane, which becomes exit only, and exit the freeway. then the pea-brain driving the camry thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and get in front of me and then HIT THE BRAKES. i had to hit the brakes hard, and also laid on the horn and my brights (just pushed it forward to turn them on, not flash them), dropped back down a few gears, then passed him on the right (at full throttle), in the remainder of the acceleration lane, then i cut him off as close as i possibly could to see if maybe it would wake him up. there wasn't anyone in front of him and there was no reason for him to have hit the brakes AT ALL. i couldn't pass on the left because there was an 18-wheeler to my left, and more cars coming up behind in my own lane - at the posted 70mph limit. i refuse to be put into a dangerous situation because of someone else's ineptitude.

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the captions, I tried outlining them but the results were weird. Possibly it was the software I was using or color combination. I did try changing the color of the captions themselves to better contrast against the time stamp and that seems to help a bit. Would you suggest a few second pause at the beginning of the text to allow the viewers to read? I really don't understand why slow traffic won't just wait for 5 seconds for us to clear before merging over. That's what upsets me, the lack of situational awareness. Absolutely no need to create a situation. That Camry in your story is a good example.

Looks like Phoenix drivers belive the same mumbo jumbo as Danish drivers do, and thats if you merge safely behind another vehicle then your manhood will get smaller.

If that bicycle move scared you, dont rent a car if you ever get to Denmark ( just fair warning )

Back