Even genuine DOD F900LHD looks questionable

Cincinnati

Reaction score
After buying a bogus F900LDH 3 weeks ago and immediately returning it due to multiple performance issues, I got a real one (DOD) from Shen Zeng Saddle Technology (found on Alibaba.com,) relying on their large order history & good feedback on the website.
It seems that there are countless things to examine to help figure out if you really have the real thing. Well, the one I received, this morning as a matter of fact, kept me busy for quite a while, learning how to access and operate all of the features through trial & error, since the user manual is a joke, and then doing a Sherlock Holmes inspection on all the subtleties: Real DOD box, three battery contacts instead of two, four function buttons instead of three and so on. Besides for feeling much more solid then the knockoff unit, it met most criteria except: 1) for having the inspection sticker on the bottom of the camera instead of in the battery compartment, 2) having the DOD logo on the window mount side of the camera, but not on the outside of the viewing screen door, (maybe because I got the solid black instead of the silver/black model?,) 3) having 8 movie resolution settings instead of 9 that I saw on units on line, and 4) having the resolution setting display on the screen next to the Camera Icon, instead of the HD letters. I'm hoping these few minor things are only changes made since most of the real vs fake info on line was posted.

The one thing that is really odd about this 98% probability of being a real DOD F900LHD, is that there is supposed to be a Macro/Micro photo switch on the upper side of lens housing, according to the manual,.... but there is no Macro/Micro setting anywhere!

Does anybody out there know if this is a DOD oops! or if I wound up with something other than the genuine article? Any replies would be appreciated.

Hi Cincinnati,

Shenzhen Saddle is pretty reputable so if you bought one of the $120 F900LHD's it is likely real. What firmware did it come with and is the video quality ok? I wouldn't worry about the stickers since they often change them or move them around. I have not heard of the micro / macro setting but I really haven't followed this camera lately.

Thanks for the feedback, DashCamMan.
The firmware is V3.04 T2M-MF H. I am feeling more comfortable about the authenticity of this unit as I become more familiar with it. DOD should improve the User's Manual because the 1st half, in English, reads like it was written by someone who studied English for one month. The 2nd half of the User Manual is written in Russian, (coincidentally I happen to know Russian,) (получается что это лучше написано по-русский,) which I should have read first, because it is much more clearly written and in greater detail.

My only on the road complaint so far, is that I'm getting a lot of vibration which shows up in playback. As recommended on http://dashcamtalk.com/dod-f900lhd/, I also bought a second, shorter stemmed windshield mount with my order, because this site said it would reduce shaking, but since the shorter stem holds the camera closer to the mount, you end up with the mount showing up in the video in the upper-right corner.

The bottom line is: if this camera holds up, I'll consider it worth while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear that it is legit. Enjoy it during the New Year!

Back