Every week, being prompted to format my SD card

wordup

Reaction score
Country
United States
My F800 Pro will work great for about a week, then it will force me to format the card. Is there a problem with my settings, a bad SD card, or an internal device problem? This is the stock SD card that shipped with the camera. Thanks

I would guess it's being caused by the card filling up. What retention policy did you choose for the recordings and are you just recording while driving or while parked as well?

Here are my settings:

Attachments

• E30DEE98-8E88-488D-BC32-33855D5ABE2E.png
    E30DEE98-8E88-488D-BC32-33855D5ABE2E.png
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • 43659D90-000F-45C7-961F-B52085EC5618.png
    43659D90-000F-45C7-961F-B52085EC5618.png
    950.2 KB · Views: 24
I think its memory card settings where the retention setting is. I can't check my camera at the moment.

This is from the manual:
6.1.3 Configuring the video overwriting functionThis menu allows new video files to overwrite the oldest video files in the storage reserved for each mode.1From the mobile viewer, tap Dash Cam Settings > Memory Card Settings.2From Overwrite Videos, select the modes to allow video overwriting. The new setting is applied automatically.

All the overwrite boxes are checked.

I don’t have a hardwire kit so there is no parking mode to worry about.

Try a different SD card (Sandisk Ultra A1) and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it is a machine problem. If the problem goes away, then it is a card problem.

The F800 pro is very picky on SD cards so most likely it is an SD card issue.

Hello There, If the device is regularly asking you to "Format memory card for data integrity" this is an indication that the Card used in the F800PRO is going corrupt and is not able to allocate space for video files hence the message to format. Alternatively if the SD card is fairly new this can also mean it is not fully compatible with the Dash Cam itself.

Please test with a different Micro SD Card to ensure the current card used is the issue. If you need any further assistance we'd be happy to help!

Kind Regards,
Thinkware Customer Support

Thanks for the suggestions. This is the 32Gb SD card that shipped with the Dashcam and is branded Thinkware. I would hope it would be compatible!

I’ll try a different one and see if I get the same message.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is the 32Gb SD card that shipped with the Dashcam and is branded Thinkware. I would hope it would be compatible!

I’ll try a different one and see if I get the same message.
Hi There, If the SD continues to give you these errors please contact us at support@thinkware.com. The SD Card does have a 6-month warranty and we will be able to replace this for you.

Has anyone found a fix for this? I have found the stock 32GB Thinkware card does not have enough capacity for my weekly 3 hour commute. I purchased 2 Sandisk Extreme A2 cards, a 128GB and a 64GB. Both cards are continuously causing the dashcam to give an alert "Memory card format required". It will repeat this maybe 3 times before alerting "Memory card error occurred, system will restart.". Sometimes it will resolve itself, other times I have to format the card multiple times before it will work.
It's very frustrating as Thinkware's support/information on cards is very very vague and poor. If they offered either their own upgraded card or at least a list of recommended cards it might help.
If it isn't resolved soon I'll be getting rid of the F800 pro and looking to another brand...

Also fyi I updated my camera to latest version recently (ends in .07) prior to trying new cards. The update process had many issues also but finally worked.

Same here: the 64GB High Endurance Sandisk MicroSD card I was using with my previous dash cam (Aukey DR02) is regularly formatted by the F800PRO and continuous recordings are successfully saved BUT when I turn off the car and later I turn it on again, the unit asks to format the card again and again (the format process is claimed as successful at first but when the unit tries to access the card afterwards, an error occurs and the unit asks to format the card again, and the cycle repeats).

My issue was never resolved. I tried several SD cards and always end up with the error every week or two. Sometimes a simple power cycle will fix it, other times I just have to leave it unplugged for a few days. Seems to be an issue with the cam itself writing corrupt data somehow. Sucks to deal with on a “premium” product.

My F800 Pro will work great for about a week, then it will force me to format the card. Is there a problem with my settings, a bad SD card, or an internal device problem? This is the stock SD card that shipped with the camera. Thanks
I had the same problem . Did you unlock the Sd card ??? It’s a small lever on the side of the card which prevents it down formatting . If you unlock it , this should solve the problem

no lock on a Micro SD card
Try the following settings on memory card ( right click on it on a computer )
File system : ExFat
Allocation u it size : 128 kb

if the micro card itself does not have an u lock button on the side . Usually the adapter that comes with it will have it so once you put the Sd card in the adapter slide the lock button on the side of the adapter ( if u slide up it u locks )

i hope this helps , it worked for me .

If you look at your memory card, there is a hidden file in the configs that has a date specified in it, that once passed, will trigger that message... I just edited the file in notepad for 2 years time, and it does not do it anymore... I don't know where it is off the top of my head, I will have to check later on.

Back