Everyone here knows about RAIN-X, right?

extraoneya

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2 Finevu Pros for front & rear
For the possible small minority who don't, here's a 1 minute DC video.

Drought ridden Calif. got it's first decent rain in a very long time yesterday. I dusted off the Rain-X container & coated the van's front & rear glass.

The beginning of the clip actually shows the worst that u'll experience w/ just Rain-X & not using the wipers. I was driving slow & the semi pulls alongside....then as I speed up, the windshield becomes clear again. The rear window stays clear the entire time, even w/ the Station Wagon Effect.

Only a light application is necessary. Once u use the wipers, it does lose some of it's efficiency, but still helps in seeing the road.

RainX is good stuff. They make windshield washer fluid and fluid additive that I have used before.
and then on dry days I like to use Stoner's Invisible Glass

It's also nice because I am almost positive it is safe for tinted car windows witch Windex can destroy.

For exterior Rain-x is the way to go, using it exclusively for past 10 years.
For interior and exterior glass cleaning its good to have some Invisible Glass by Stoner.

Interior (Summer / Winter)
Rain-x interior glass Anti-Fog.
Exterior
@ Summer
- Rain-X Bug Remover Windshield Washer Fluid
Or
- Rain X/0 Degree all season bug remover
@ Winter
- Rain-X De-Icer Windsheild Washer Fluid

I hate to go to far off topic, but since we covered glass when it comes body I have always been a Meguiars guy. I have to be honest though. I always seen people on TV use Mother's but read a few places it left a bad haze so I never really gave it a shot.

Just to add to this don't use products like Windex or other domestic glass cleaners, they actually fog up after about 12 hours and leave a haze on the windows

What do u use for the glass on u'r car jokiin?

Also good to have some microfiber towels.

I like Meguiars, Chemical Guys and Auto Glym.

Rain-X is a good product but the problem with it is that it doesn't last too long. An alternative, similar but much superior product is Aquapel. (web site)

Aquapel is superior to Rain-X in regards to durability. It will make your windshield slightly less "slippery" than newly applied Rain-X, but not much. You may need to drive 5-10 MPH faster for the water to roll off the windshield treated with Aquapel vs. Rain-X, but only for the first day or two. After that the Aquapel works better than the Rain-X, and for far longer. Wiper use will kill a Rain-X application in short order, but the Aquapel doesn't seem to be affected. Some people describe Aquapel as RainX on steroids.

You can see an interesting video a guy did where he did 1/2 his windshield with Aquapel, and the other 1/2 with Rain-X. (and nothing in the middle) By day 20 Rain-X had become much less effective and by day 39 it was no longer effective at all but the Aquapel still was. By day 60 Aquapel was still working. Aquapel sells on Amazon and if you keep your eyes open sometimes you can find it discounted at big-box stores and automotive chains.

http://www.jwardell.com/mini/media/06/aquapel.mp4

Last edited:
For the interior side of the glass, I highly recommend Wurth Active Glass Cleaner. An autobody shop left a can of it in my car after they fixed it up and detailed it, and man is it awesome. I tried some other foaming glass cleaner from Sam's club but it's just not as good. Also the Wurth stuff smells great.

It's a bit pricey, and I can't find any stores in the states that carry it, so I had to order a refill online.

http://www.wurth.co.uk/technical-ch...ss-cleaners/active-window-glass-cleaner-500ml

I've recorded that highway too... US 101 between Oxnard and Camarillo.

upload_2014-3-1_9-13-2.png

Wurth supply bodyshops with a lot of stuff, pretty much trade only though in most countries, their product is used in Australia also

Rain-X is a good product but the problem with it is that it doesn't last too long. An alternative, similar but much superior product is Aquapel. (web site)
Looks interesting. I see they have glass cleaner and treatment. Might have to give it a try.
Thanks

Oh, almost forgot. The local glass repair shop introduced me to a product called Invisible Glass. Best glass cleaner I've come across. They make a line of dedicated automotive products.
I just noticed they make a rain repeal formula too, but i have never tried that.

When I was in the hardware store they had a giant inflatable blowup can of it hanging from the roof.

Looks interesting. I see they have glass cleaner and treatment. Might have to give it a try.
Thanks

I just noticed they make a rain repeal formula too, but i have never tried that.

When I was in the hardware store they had a giant inflatable blowup can of it hanging from the roof.

I'm not familiar with all the different products these two companies make but I'll bet they perform pretty well. Invisible Glass really works great though. No streaks and perfectly clean and clear glass. Jokiin mentioned earlier in this thread how Windex and other household cleaners can leave a haze and he's right. Invisible Glass won't do that and it stays clean and clear for quite a long time. I use the regular Invisible Glass product on my truck but it may be worth trying the rain repelling automotive product.

+3 for Invisible Glass. However I found the Invisible Glass with the rain repel didnt work that well for repelling rain and was less effective cleaning windows.

Invisible Glass to clean my windows and I use Aquapel for rain repellent. RainX is nice but doesnt last long at all. Aquapel last much longer from my experience cuz it rains to often here in Washington.

Back