Everyone here knows about RAIN-X, right?

I use Bar Keeper's Friend to clean my glass when it's in a bad state. Amazing stuff for all-round-the-house use - but not on your paintwork.

For you other UK users, you should consider GTechniq G2.

They have an amazing range of glass cleaning products, and they're long lasting.

Gtechniq G2, if applied properly, lasts around 30,000 miles. In my experience though, it's not difficult to apply but you need to get your timings right and have the right conditions. The first time I did it was in direct sunlight and I left it on too long. You ideally need to do it in a garage (or under cover)

For you other UK users, you should consider GTechniq G2.

They have an amazing range of glass cleaning products, and they're long lasting.

Gtechniq G2, if applied properly, lasts around 30,000 miles. In my experience though, it's not difficult to apply but you need to get your timings right and have the right conditions. The first time I did it was in direct sunlight and I left it on too long. You ideally need to do it in a garage (or under cover)

It would be cool to compare this product with Aquapel mentioned earlier in this thread. Are there any videos of Gtechniq G2 in action?

It would be cool to compare this product with Aquapel mentioned earlier in this thread. Are there any videos of Gtechniq G2 in action?

Apologies, I mistyped, it's Gtechniq G1 (G2 is the residue remover :)). You can also get Gtechniq G5 for the side and rear windows. It's a better repellant than G1, but doesn't last as long, so it's suitable for the front wipers. Using G5 rain just runs off the car!

Here's a fairly decent video of it in action. You can find more at http://www.detailingworld.co.uk where there are loads of tips, advice and products :)

Here's an example of G5 on a ceramic surface.

I know from using it that at motorway speeds, you do not need to use your wipers at all. You start noticing it's work at around 30mph. The main advantage is that it last's so long. I do about 30,000 miles a year, and this lasted just under a year for me.

There's a whole sub forum here dedicated to giving instructions on how to apply their products.

Last edited:
Thanks! I see on the US Amazon site it's shown with both the G1 and G2 together in the photo. They don't exactly make it clear if you get both when you order. The stuff seems rather expensive but if it really works that well and lasts up to two years it would actually be cheaper than the competing products in the long run.

Thanks! I see on the US Amazon site it's shown with both the G1 and G2 together in the photo. They don't exactly make it clear if you get both when you order. The stuff seems rather expensive but if it really works that well and lasts up to two years it would actually be cheaper than the competing products in the long run.

Whenever I've bought it, you get given G2 as well. When you apply it, you leave it for around 10 minutes, and then use the G2 to clear off the remaining residue.

I just use rainX wiper fluid so doesn't matter how long it lasts as every squirt applies rainX.

Winshield-Washer-Fluid_2-in-1-All-Season-0-Degrees-605x1024.png

Interior is different thing, it's so hard to have it perfectly clean.

Last edited:
That jug stuff is a little pricey in my area. I keep meaning to try the Aquapel but have not gotten around to it. Lot of stuff going on lately unfortunately

RainX is ok, I used to swear by it but I found it doesn't last very long. I switched to a spray on carnauba wax that dad raved on about and it lasts more then twice as long and diminishes a lot less after that

Its in a spray can, however I cant remember the name, but I needed some in a hurry beginning of this year and found my wipe on carnauba wax is doing just as good so any good brand should do. Although spray on makes doing the inside a lot easier (can help with fogging).

rainX 4-6 weeks depending on weather
carnauba wax 3 months, my current application is 6 months old and needs to be redone running 50:50 water/meth by weight

Just to add to this don't use products like Windex or other domestic glass cleaners, they actually fog up after about 12 hours and leave a haze on the windows
if you DO use regular glass cleaner (i have haha, used the glass cleaner at work on my car) would using car windshield specific cleaner get rid of the fog?

someone told me his friend used a general cleaner and left it on the window for a few minutes and it permanently damaged his window and made it hazy.

use an Ammonia free cleaner, if it's labeled as safe for tinted windows you're usually ok, it's worth spending a bit extra for the proper stuff designed for automotive use

Back