Everything look good?

jennyfell55

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
Got some snow yesterday here in Western Washington! Managed to catch this fun little incident without the camera shutting off ;) (Replacement arrives tomorrow! Yay!)

Does my camera look positioned well? Not too much/too little sky? Ect?

Low-speed fishtailing is so fun :)

Got some snow yesterday here in Western Washington! Managed to catch this fun little incident without the camera shutting off ;) (Replacement arrives tomorrow! Yay!)

Does my camera look positioned well? Not too much/too little sky? Ect?

Nice job, and the snow is a nice change to see on a video :)

Makes me wonder what tires one is running.
Almost looks as if they're summer tires or all-year ones, that don't really work well in cold weather.

Makes me wonder what tires one is running.
Almost looks as if they're summer tires or all-year ones, that don't really work well in cold weather.

They're OEM all seasons... Continental... TrueContact I think? That was the only spot I had any issues with, so I'm pretty happy with the performance considering they're not a dedicated snow tire.

The amount of snow western Washington gets is probably not enough to justify the investment of 4 winter tires.

The amount of snow western Washington gets is probably not enough to justify the investment of 4 winter tires.

Bingo! That's exactly why I don't spend the money on snow tires. Where I live, we get snow a couple times at most, and it's never more than a few inches. Just not worth the money.

If i had the $600+ to drop on winter tires, sure, but I don't. Not only do we not get enough snow here to justify it, when we do get our pitiful 1-2 inches (at MOST) of snow here mayyyybeee twice per winter, the main roads are clear in no time. One minor slow speed sliding on a tiny side road does not tell me I need to get snow tires (and rims) so desperately that my other bills don't take priority. Never ever crashed in the snow here, even in much worse conditions, and cars much less able to handle bad conditions.

Fair enough, understandably you're not in a place where it's snowy for long periods.
The video itself looks good though.

Today... even in Upstate New York where we get our share of snow, I'd dare to say that the majority of folks do not run dedicated snow tires. I can't remember the last time I myself bought winter tires. All weather tires. Yes. Snows. No.

Today... even in Upstate New York where we get our share of snow, I'd dare to say that the majority of folks do not run dedicated snow tires. I can't remember the last time I myself bought winter tires. All weather tires. Yes. Snows. No.
Likewise for me in Michigan. The last time I had dedicated snow/winter tires was back in the 1970's when I was driving a RWD Truimph GT6 - and on that vehicle even they didn't help all that much, car was just too light in the rear to get good traction.

Are snow/winter tires better than all weather tires? Yes. Are they cost effective for the difference in performance? Probably not except for those people who drive in rural areas when the roads are not cleared and may be snow/ice covered for months at a time. In the urban/suburban areas that I'm familiar with roads are cleared in a reasonable time so dedicated snow/winter tires just aren't a necessity.

Almost everyone here uses proper winter tires every winter :)
I guess it's a bit more wintery here too.

Attachments

• IMG_20160105_234644.jpg
    IMG_20160105_234644.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 11
Back