Extremely dark night time video.. Normal?

stelloy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, most of the areas the screenshots were from was pretty lit. So, I'm not sure why it's literally pitch black on the dash cam?

j43tKk4.png

e9pJ4q7.png

This is from my front dashcam:
ChPuF8f.jpg

I know it's not exactly the same. I have the headlights on and everything but, it should not be pitch black on the video? And my tint is only at 50% in the back windshield.

Last edited:
I don't think it should be that dark considering other videos online facing the rear is still really bright. Mines completely black. It should at least be able to show much more than pitch black.

Window tint kills night vids with any dashcam. My B1W does little better with the dark factory tint on my minivan, which by law must transfer at least 85% of light. The same sensor with a different cam in my untinted work van shows about twice as much.

Phil

Looks pretty normal. My rear cam - 2018 Toyota Highlander stock windows.

Rearview.jpg

Yeah not much to see out back at night and away from ambient light, flipping on fog light give a little at least in my case, but of course you cant drive around with the fog light on all the time.
It is what it is, and can still document erratic driving from a drunk coming up from behind just by his headlights, but other than that not much a rear camera can do for one on a dark highway.

I dont even think cars here in Denmark come with a option for factory tint when you buy a new car, though you can tint all but windscreen and front door windows to any degree you please, but it mostly seem to be done aftermarket.
its one way to easy spot unmarked cop cars, they are mostly a higher end model and station car, and then they have really dark tint on the back windows, okay a few civilian cars also have that combination.

No tint + town ambient light and everything are fine on the rear camera when i was pulled over last year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D B1W 6
Back