Fake SDCards

I have just had a one of the recordings (Front and rear at the same time) from my Blackvue 750 fail. The BV viewer just bombs back to windows when I try to play them. However both front and rear play just fine in the Windows viewer.
The card is a Samsung Evo Plus128.

I don't think the BV viewer crashing has anything to do with the SD card, as the videos play properly in Windows.

Right after the BV player crashes, I'd suggest running the Windows Event Viewer (click on start menu, and type in Event Viewer), then open up "Windows Logs" and then "Application" and look for any events related to the BV player. If you do see such an event, click on it to see if the event details gives you any clues as to why it crashed...

500 times is making sense for the failure posts we are getting.

Also keep in mind that the smaller the card, the more often it will be re-written. And hence a 128 GB card will have twice the lifetime of a 64 GB card, all else being equal. So that 400 day lifetime on a 64 GB endurance card might be only 100 days on a 'normal' 64 GB card, and perhaps as little as 25 days on a 16 GB card... It's also important to watch out for 'protected' recordings - these have the same effect as reducing the available capacity of the card - forcing fewer blocks to be re-written more often. Levelling helps, but it isn't perfect.

For maximum reliability, you'd need to buy the largest Class 10 / U1 card you can afford (or U3 for a 4K camera), and on a regular basis, format it to get rid of all protected recordings. A 128 GB 'endurance' card should last 800 days of full HD recording.

Feel free to play with the attached spreadsheet. Vary the numbers in the green cells to see the effect it has on expected lifetime. Of course, I don't manufacture these cards, so this should be taken in the spirit intended - guidance and entertainment only.

Attachments

• Card Lifetime.zip
    7.7 KB · Views: 8
Thanks drwilliams. Unfortunately it's too late for that now as the card has been reformatted and set to be on GMT. But if it happens again I'll certainly have a look. I can't remember the time I had the problem, so will be on a hiding to nothing looking at the event viewer now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kremmen Nextbase Other 2