fake sj 4000 any good ?

"Actually technically", the SJ 4000/GoPro clones have been popping up like mushrooms after a rainstorm.

Banggood alone has at least two pages full of them.

As for the rest if it, you should do what makes you happy.

Hmmm...

Actually technically there are only 2 clones for sale in todays market

the sport 8 and the db sj4000.. whatever named they are one version or the other..

The db has all dashcam features, the sport 8 doesn't - but does other things the db doesn't.

Both have their uses and I think you get a bit of a bargain "starter kit" with both packages that many would be happy with and probably wouldn't be bothered to move "up" from....

( the db has 99650 0330 and without wifi retails at g1wh price and I would certainly chose it over the g1wh for the 170 lens and smaller form factor despite everyones unfounded fear " my god a thief will spot it a mile off as it

looks like a go pro >>>> as if ! )

AS for you get what you pay for..... remind me why I didn't stump up for an 0806 at £90 that then rose to £100 on the back of a catalogue of faults and failures that would leave many wide open to failing to capture the footage

they needed in time of crisis etc ... expensive differing dashcams time after time !!!!!

I have a xaiomi now that I hav nt had time to unwrap and sort and being as everyone is obsessed with increasing bit rate, I ve had to buy to see what it actually does and if the wifi is reliable etc...( £58 next day delivery... bargain fulfilled by amazon) )

Last edited:
The "original" SJ4000 was a clone of the GoPro and it has been knocked-off more times than anyone can count at this point.
It may have been the first to challenge the GoPro at its own game and it might have compatible accessories, but it was never a clone. It could only be considered one if GoPro had a patent on the shape, size and button layout of their cameras, which apparently they haven't.
The SJCAM's cameras have conquered their place on the market for being what they are, not for being "cheaper" GoPro's. If you dig deep enough you'll probably find out that the accessories of both cameras are made in the same factory...

It may have been the first to challenge the GoPro at its own game and it might have compatible accessories, but it was never a clone. It could only be considered one if GoPro had a patent on the shape, size and button layout of their cameras, which apparently they haven't.
The SJCAM's cameras have conquered their place on the market for being what they are, not for being "cheaper" GoPro's. If you dig deep enough you'll probably find out that the accessories of both cameras are made in the same factory...

The bottom line is that it is a replica of the GoPro. In fact, the company that produces the camera has specialized in marketing almost exact replicas and near copies of other successful action cameras such as the SJ1000 which is a replica of the original Liquid Image Ego and the SJ M10 which is copy of the Polaroid Cube. Who are we trying to kid here?

Last edited:
No one, but a replica is not the same as a clone.

No one, but a replica is not the same as a clone.

I'm not quite sure what is to be gained by engaging in semantics over the purported differences in the definition of the words "replica and "clone" but they do mean essentially the same thing and their usage here is interchangeable.

"Legally" speaking what SJCAM is doing here in making "replicas", "clones, "copies","imitations", "knock-offs", or whatever you want to call them is known as reproducing the "appearance, form and function" of other firm's products. Rather than design and manufacture their own unique products, the business model of SJCAM is to copy succesful action cam models from other manufacturers and bring them to market at a lower price point.

When I said, "Who are we trying to kid here?", I was speaking rhetorically but I do think that anyone who believes that these products are not "clones" or "replicas" is indeed kidding themselves. The quality of SJCAM's copied products and whether they are worth purchasing is a separate issue.

clone.jpg

replica.jpg

Last edited:
"Actually technically", the SJ 4000/GoPro clones have been popping up like mushrooms after a rainstorm.

Banggood alone has at least two pages full of them.

As for the rest if it, you should do what makes you happy.

pages full of them there might be...all with differing names and colours...

but,

there are only 2 types badged up to make it look as if there is endless choice and price difference. ( the 8 based on sunplus, ov 2010 or there abouts and the db based on nova 96650 0330 ) and what ever you buy

it will be either or....

As for clones or replicants, they are cameras in their own right just like the xaiomi unless you base labelling on size and shape !!!! ( that's more a woman thing :p:D )

pages full of them there might be...all with differing names and colours...

but,

there are only 2 types badged up to make it look as if there is endless choice and price difference. ( the 8 based on sunplus, ov 2010 or there abouts and the db based on nova 96650 0330 ) and what ever you buy

it will be either or....

As for clones or replicants, they are cameras in their own right just like the xaiomi unless you base labelling on size and shape !!!! ( that's more a woman thing :p:D )

Badged up? Really? You really think all those similar looking GoPro-like cameras with different controls, features, screens, cases, lenses, etc., etc., are all the same camera because they "might" have the same chips inside but merely come in different colors? That's a good one! If that's what you believe and it makes you happy then you should go with that. People who engage with critical thinking and observation and facts may believe otherwise.

Cameras in their own right? I'm not quite sure what a statement like that is supposed to mean. Call them what you will but they are low quality GoPro knock-offs.

Even SJCAM, the original clone of the GoPro (which has become a camera "in it's own right") has had to take steps to protect the SJ4000 from rampant copying and counterfeiting.
(Since this link was first posted by @billknow almost a year ago the number of GoPro clones on the market has exploded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now who's playing with words? :)
The only thing they have in common, apart from the accessories, is that they both come in a rectangular case (but so does the Xiaomi Yi). And they're not even the same size! What kind of "clone" is that?

I can understand the "clone" thing on a G1W-H but in this case I find it very hard to.

If there's a GoPro clone, it's this one:
SJ5000.jpg

Last edited:
Now who's playing with semantics? :)

Well, you said, "a replica is not the same as a clone". I merely presented evidence to the contrary by posting the dictionary definitions.

Either way, the definition is a distraction from the question at hand. I maintain that the SJ4000 and its "offspring" are clones of the GoPro and you say, "it was never a clone".

Last edited:
The argument that all these different cameras, beginning with the SJ4000 are not "clones" of the GoPro seems downright silly despite any minor cosmetic differences.

GoPro.jpg

clone1.jpg

clone2.JPG

clone3.jpg

clone4.jpg

clone5.jpg

clone7.jpg

clone6.jpg

clone9.jpg

Last edited:
Next you're gonna tell me that Samsung smartphones are all iPhone clones...

Next you're gonna tell me that Samsung smartphones are all iPhone clones...

Well, Samsung did in fact lose 1B dollars when Apple sued them but it was also for many of the technical aspects as well as the "look and feel". There is even a famous anecdote from the trial when one of the attorneys went to pick up a phone from the evidence display table and accidentally grabbed the wrong company's phone during her cross examination of a witness.

Is this Samsung Galaxy S a clone of the iPhone? Sure looks it to me. They even copied many of the iPhone icons almost exactly into their flavor of Android.

phones.jpg

Be that as it may, I still don't quite get the point you are trying to make here?

Do the above cameras in my previous post look virtually identical to a GoPro? Yes, they do. Does it matter if you call them clones, knock-offs, replicas or copies? No, not at all. All these cameras were built to mimic the look and feel of the GoPro. If a guy on a bicycle pedaled past wearing any of the above cameras on his helmet, most people would immediately think, "GoPro". (except for maybe the pink one :p)

Some of these clones are absolute garbage, like the cheap fake SJ4000 in question that started this thread. "Any good"? we are asked. :rolleyes:

The "real" SJ4000 is actually a decent camera that has developed a loyal following but saying it isn't a knock-off of the GoPro is being in denial.

Last edited:
Interestingly sjcam are always chasing others for copying their design, go figure

You're right. It's the "clone of a clone" phenomenon.

Perhaps the issue being argued about in this thread isn't really so much about the words "knock-offs" and "clones" but involves a word that's been barely touched on here and that word is "counterfeiting". There is an important distinction.

In the case of the SJ 4000, they've had to deal with their product being outright counterfeited in the marketplace rather than merely knocked-off. This is the reason that all their cams now have the SJCAM logo.

sjcopy.png

Edit: VIOFO, the developer of the SJ4000 now posts a FAQ on their web site explaining why the firmware won't work properly if it's not flashed to the original SJCAM. (different components)

sjcam.png

Last edited:
Back