Faulty MicroSD card, and general compatibility?

You're not having a lot of luck with memory cards! Even Amazon can get fake cards every now and then though. At least returns through Amazon should be easier to deal with than a 3rd party seller. I'm not in the US so I couldn't really suggest anywhere else to try.

EDIT: These are the benchmarks I got. First is the stock 16 GB card that came with the CF-100 in my laptop's built-in card reader.
cf-100 stcok sd card bench.png

Next is my current PNY 128GB using my laptops built-in card reader...
PNY 128GB sd card bench.png

Lastly, same PNY 128GB card using an Anker USB 3.0 card reader, plugged into USB 2.0 port. It's read speed on this one is limited by what USB 2.0 is capable of. Write speed is more or less as advertised.
PNY Anker card bench2.png

Last edited:
I upgraded to a 64GB Sandisk Ultra card some months ago and have had a progressive deterioration in the camera operation:

- Started getting increased sensitivity of the g-sensor to small bumps but when I checked the settings, the sensitivity was still set on low. This was solved initially by reformatting the card in the Blacksys. However, after a short period, the problem returned and reformatting had no effect.
- The camera then started spontaneously turning off and restarting every few minutes. I had another short term success by reformatting it in my Nikon 1 J5 digicam first before reformatting in the Blacksys, but this only lasted a couple of days before the problem returned. I swapped it with another 64GB Sandisk Ultra but had the exact same problems.
- Was becoming concerned that this was a camera problem rather than a card problem, but came across the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...ature=cards&src_vid=amjcsoExAQU&v=3QAF2flNsVc which claims that dashcams are particularly harsh on cards and that the cards wear out. They need to be of a certain type and construction to ensure longevity.

They specifically bagged the Sandisk Ultra, which cannot cope with the constant overwriting! This is a big surprise to me as I had assumed that these cards were infinitely overwritable and that as long as you got a card with a high enough write speed, everything would be sweet. Clearly they're not!

I'm currently using an Apacer 32GB as a temporary measure but will replace it with either the Lexar 633x or the Sandisk High Endurance cards recommended in the video.

Hope this post has been useful!

Back