Feature Request for new version release to stop low light lagging

Caghan

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Hi all i have been battling with trying to get my GitUp 2 to play nice when there is not enough light. unfortunately whenever I'm recording indoors, the video always becomes very laggy and does not record smoothly. But after many tests on many different options, i think i may have found the culprit.

When ISO is set to "AUTO" mode, the camera does its best to balance the exposure by changing the iso and a few other settings to get the optimal image but unfortunately, when the ISO reaches 800 and above, the camera starts to record video in a very jaggy and laggy manner. i have found this to be the same with all settings, even if i lock shutter speed to 1/60 whilst recording 1080p60fps.

so my proposal is, have a MAX ISO selector in the menu where you can define the maximum ISO that you want the camera to auto adjust to. Nikon cameras have this feature. in my case, i would set the max ISO to 400, so i would get great footage outdoors when the iso drops to low 50's and have very decent footage indoors because the iso goes unto 400, which in my opinion is just enough with normal indoor lighting.

not sure if this issue is known to the developers or not but it tends to put me off grabbing my git2 since i know i won't get smooth footage at all times.

i hope that enough people read this and acknowledge the problem so we can get some sort of a resolution to this issue. cheers.

Once it runs out of ISO, the only way it can maintain a reasonable brightness is to increase the exposure time. If the exposure time becomes longer than the frame rate then it can not maintain a smooth 60fps as the frames will not be ready.

There is no good answer to this problem other than to use a slower frame rate, eg set it to 30fps, or get a more sensitive sensor, or the best option - increase the amount of light available, TV studios do not use low power energy saving light bulbs!

when the ISO reaches 800 and above, the camera starts to record video in a very jaggy and laggy manner.

It would be useful to really clarify how git2 handles shutter/ISO values in low light. What is the algorithm.
Going from sunshine to dark with all Auto settings:
1. how long the shutter speed is let dropped before ISO started to be increases? 1/2*framerate or other?
2. what is the max raised ISO value?
3. locking the shutter speed to fix value in menu - how it modifies the above logic?

I hope @gitup can aswer these.. If we can see how the camera thinks we can use it better.

Using the camera at 30fps does not fix the jitter issue either, but locking the iso below 400 does. anyone else care to test and provide their input on this thread so we may get a firmware update for the above request?

Hi all i have been battling with trying to get my GitUp 2 to play nice when there is not enough light. unfortunately whenever I'm recording indoors, the video always becomes very laggy and does not record smoothly. But after many tests on many different options, i think i may have found the culprit.

When ISO is set to "AUTO" mode, the camera does its best to balance the exposure by changing the iso and a few other settings to get the optimal image but unfortunately, when the ISO reaches 800 and above, the camera starts to record video in a very jaggy and laggy manner. i have found this to be the same with all settings, even if i lock shutter speed to 1/60 whilst recording 1080p60fps.

so my proposal is, have a MAX ISO selector in the menu where you can define the maximum ISO that you want the camera to auto adjust to. Nikon cameras have this feature. in my case, i would set the max ISO to 400, so i would get great footage outdoors when the iso drops to low 50's and have very decent footage indoors because the iso goes unto 400, which in my opinion is just enough with normal indoor lighting.

not sure if this issue is known to the developers or not but it tends to put me off grabbing my git2 since i know i won't get smooth footage at all times.

i hope that enough people read this and acknowledge the problem so we can get some sort of a resolution to this issue. cheers.

I have this exact same issue and have asked about it before... I wish it had a user selectable minimum shutter speed and let camera auto determine the ISO - that way the video stays above 1/30 or 1/60 and doesn't get smudged between frames. Yes this may make it a little darker/noisier in some situation when it reaches max ISO and 1/60 but at least then if I'm riding my bike into a darker spot it doesn't smear and there is some leeway to correct brightness in post. I've noticed that locking the shutter speed/ISO doesn't seem to work for me either, but in OK light I still don't have the smearing/blur problem even at higher ISO

I have this exact same issue and have asked about it before... I wish it had a user selectable minimum shutter speed and let camera auto determine the ISO - that way the video stays above 1/30 or 1/60 and doesn't get smudged between frames. Yes this may make it a little darker/noisier in some situation when it reaches max ISO and 1/60 but at least then if I'm riding my bike into a darker spot it doesn't smear and there is some leeway to correct brightness in post. I've noticed that locking the shutter speed/ISO doesn't seem to work for me either, but in OK light I still don't have the smearing/blur problem even at higher ISO
Exactly. thats the whole point. but maybe @gitup can also answer this question or get the engineers to have a look at why the camera is overcompensating so much with the loss of lighting. i'd rather smooth video with darker image than a jaggy video with overblown noisy image

Best way to get this sorted is provide some sample video that clearly demonstrates the issue so the engineer can study it and better understand the problem

i was actually waiting for FW 1.5 to see if that would fix the problem. once i have compiled enough evidence i will create and upload a video of the lag. perhaps someone else has jaggy video from the night time

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Git2 11
Back