Feedback on videos?

Shep

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
LG: Street Guardian; SM: Mobius
These are dusk videos, caught a guy running a red light in front of me midway through the video. Wasn't sure if there were adjustments I could make to further improve the image, I'm mainly concerned about being able to read license plates (which is near impossible except for the complete stop rear camera, even the front can't read the plate). Seems almost like FPS isn't high enough to capture the small details, but I don't think it'll be any better until the V3 comes out.

Front video:

Rear video:

Any insight on how to make future videos in similar lighting conditions better? I know there's a ton of reflections going on for both windshields, but I was hoping to be able to read more plates than this. For a guy that has been rear-ended three times in less than two years (last one was a hit-and-run), being able to read plates and get details in dark conditions like that is crucial.

in those lighting conditions it would be almost impossible for any camera to get license plates. reflections can be reduced with a CPL

reflections can be reduced with a CPL
I had read somewhere that the CPL could reduce nighttime performance, but looking at the thread Niko put together, that doesn't appear to be the case. In fact, it seems to help nighttime video greatly. I'll give that a shot, thanks!

How's my aim by the way? I think it's set to about 50% sky, 50% ground, is that okay, or do I want it lower?

Update with the CPL installed, this time at night (not dawn like before):

Front video:

Rear video:

Also captured the side view from my otherwise-untouched (no CPL) SGZC12RC V2 units:

Left:

Right:

While the windshield glare is almost gone with the CPL's installed, there is still some, particularly in the back one when I hit the street light. That being said, I'm now seeing nasty effects such as the truck at the 1:00 mark in the Front video being completely hidden by its own headlights, and all the cars that appear at 1:10 don't help either.

During the day, these are absolutely amazing video quality. Nighttime though is no better than a cell phone it seems. Hoping the V3 will provide some nighttime improvements to avoid this.

At night, the front dashcam is illuminated by headlights, however the rear has no active illumination, so it may be worth considering not using the rear CPL and just accepting some reflections of he rear high mount stop lamp, because the polarizer does reduce the amount of light.

During the day, these are absolutely amazing video quality. Nighttime though is no better than a cell phone it seems. Hoping the V3 will provide some nighttime improvements to avoid this.

I have a feeling it could be quite some time before "any" dashcam achieves significantly superior low light performance, because unlike dSLR and mirrorless cameras which use large full frame 36 mm x 24 mm sensors, and low resolution for larger pixels and larger photosites [eg Sony A7S II 12 MP for low light versus Sony A7R II 42 MP for detail], plus a huge wide aperture lens - dashcams don't have any of these vices.

To the contrary, dashcams presently need to be very discreet in size, and they're trying to achieve higher resolutions like QHD 2560 x 1440 pixels for more detail, at a cost to individual pixel/photosite "size" for superior low light capture.

The new Dod LS470W tries to electronically amplify low light more by using higher ISO's, but this also electronically amplifies the background noise resulting in a grainier image.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, you're 100% right. I'm not knocking the nighttime performance either, believe me if it made financial sense I'd just rig up a DSLR for my dash cams. That truck's glare though caught me by surprise on reviewing the video. I know it was kinda bright in person, but I didn't expect it to look quite so bad on the video. "Cell phone" might be a harsh comparison come to think of it, but I am still hoping the V3 will bring some image quality improvements, particularly at night.

I'm not expecting for it to have human vision and read bumper stickers (this isn't CSI: Miami), but even the side cameras perform way better at around the 0:53 mark under the same exact headlight conditions, and I'm not sure why. They have worse dynamic range than the SG units do. It's odd to say the least. Rear camera seems to be fine, but that front one is a doozy with that truck.

Back