Feelings on rotating mounts and 360 views?

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been looking at wedge style cams lately, but part of me feels like it would be nice to be able to turn the cam in situations where someone approaches your car from the side or you get pulled over or your passing by a scene you feel would be necessary to record. Does anyone else consider that stuff or are the wedge designs or permanent direction mounts all you have found necessary? Thanks!

Some wedge / flat base mount dashcams do have an option to use suction cup mount (ball-joint) in order to turn 360 degree.

The came that allow you to turn it to film either side, or for that matter backwards into the cabin of the car.
Well it is the same cameras you often see in Russian dashcam compilations, and who after a crash just film the sky, and if you see footage with the jello effect in it, it is also most often from a camera like that.
Also the cameras "dangling" off the windscreen like that are not that stealthy, but this don't matter to all people, and some even prefer to have their camera seen.

It is of course a 2 birds in one shot as with a camera you can turn you don't have to get a cabin camera if that is high on your wish list, personally i do fine with filming the person approaching me on my front or rear camera, and then just have the audio.
Though Danish police men are not as proficient in the law they are supposed to uphold as one would assume, then this don't bother me much at the moment, cuz i normally play nice with them as i am carrying a pocket knife ( and that's illegal here ) or some times even something substantial larger in a holster under my armpit ( still a knife )
So no need to make them too eager for something else but carrying on.

In my video busted again i am actually carrying a big ass Bowie knife, and when they find my baseball bat that had slid out from under the back seat i was expecting to get padded down.
But thankfully that did not happen, :sneaky:

In the video as the cop approach and probably triggered by me exiting my car, he "ready" his gun, really strange how trigger happy Danish cops have become, in 2007 driving my quad bike i met a really cool MC cop, he changed out of cop clothe and into a dirty overall, and then he drove around a little on another guys quadbike, while his gear and pistol and keys to his BMW cop bike was right there for anyone to grab.

But the main reason are of course all the cultural enrichment we have gotten from 3 world people most often Muslim in heritage.

Anyways back on the dashcams, the kind on a mount like that, well in most cases it is not from the major players, so quality and support might be a issue.

Thats right some have a suction cup mount for wedge cameras, and some have also used universal mounts most often used for radar detectors.

ram-b-166-300-1u%20in%20use.jpg

My dashcams are primarily for recording driving, so it doesn't matter if they can be turned to the sides (I have side cams anyway). But I've come to like the rotatable lenses of my B2W cam and I'm using that feature more to optimize it's views especially while parking. So it's something to consider in making a cam choice ;)

As far as using an aimable mount for a wedge cam (any cam actually) many will be more prone to letting the cam vibrate or move with bumps in the road and if the mount is tightened enough to prevent that movement it may be also hard to turn by hand. IMHO and at this time the cams with the best video quality are wedge-cams so if that's what you seek you'll have to compromise the mounting to get aimability. But there are many cams with very good video quality and if that is enough for you then their form-factors may allow for easier aimability.

Always a compromise with dashcams but there's always one that should closely match your main needs :cool:

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joeypucks What Should I Buy? 3
Back