File Size & Bitrate

2000rpm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Many, including JooVuu, Mobius, Street Guardian.
Comparing two of my dash cams.....

According to my computer (when I click on 'properties') one cam creates three-minute clips of approximately 300MB and the other creates clips of 320MB.
But according to my computer, the cam which creates 300MB files has bitrate approximately 13600 kbps and the one which creates 320MB files has a bitrate approximately 2500kbps.

Surely the one with the much higher bitrate would be expected to create much larger files?

The cams are Mio Mivue 538 (300MB/13600kbps) and Cobra 840 (320MB/2500kbps).

Yeah AVI is reported differently, the effective bitrate will be similar even though the reported bitrate are quite different, normal for AVI

Yeah AVI is reported differently, the effective bitrate will be similar even though the reported bitrate are quite different, normal for AVI

So is file size a better guide to relative bitrate when comparing .AVI and .MOV?
What about the Transcend DP100 which has a .MP4 suffix?

Some other cams whose files I can readily find saved on my computer:
Nextbase 402G (DOD LS430W) file size: 345MB, bitrate 15000kbps (.MOV)
Transcend DP100 file size: 330MB, bitrate 15000kbps (.MP4)
Mio Mivue 538 file size: 300MB, bitrate 13500kbps (.MOV)
Cobra 840 file size: 320MB, bitrate 2500kbps (.AVI) - effective bitrate ~14000kbps?

Do you know what influences one dash cam manufacturer to use .MOV while another chooses .AVI and another chooses .MP4?
Are there pros and cons to each file type?

most factories use whatever the default is from the chipset supplier, many have no ability to change things so just work with what they have, we use MOV or MP4, I have done models before where you could choose in the menu between MOV or MP4, those are much of a muchness, I would never use AVI as the dashcam playback and editing options are greatly reduced

......I would never use AVI as the dashcam playback and editing options are greatly reduced....

I've noticed the Cobra (.AVI) recordings are difficult to trim to a short clip.
No problems trimming Nextbase/DOD (.MOV), Mio (.MOV) or Transcend (.MP4) into short clips.
The Cobra (.AVI) recordings will play back on Windows Media Player and Cobra's software, but not with Quicktime, whereas the others (.MOV and .MP4) will play on Quicktime.
Those just happen to be the media players which came pre-installed on my computer.

The Cobra (.AVI) recordings will play back on Windows Media Player and Cobra's software, but not with Quicktime, whereas the others (.MOV and .MP4) will play on Quicktime.
Those just happen to be the media players which came pre-installed on my computer.
Install VLC and you won't need those two anymore.

Back