Firestone Tech Busted by Dash-Cam

Happens more than you'd think, especially if you've brought them a fast car :rolleyes:

Phil

Happens more than you'd think, especially if you've brought them a fast car :rolleyes:

Phil
It's a harsh reality that hit me like a ton of bricks. I mean, I know it happens from time to time. But I caught it happening the very first time after installing my dash-cam. And I've been bringing my car there for a couple years now.

Has Firestone reached out to you? Try to get a refund for the cost of services at least. Maybe $5k to take down the video :LOL:

Wondering why it needed a test drive?
A wheel alignment and oil change doesn't warrant one, yet apparently you knew it was taking place...

A wheel alignment would always have a test drive, often before as well as after depending on what the issue was

A wheel alignment would always have a test drive, often before as well as after depending on what the issue was
Don't understand why, here the wheel positions get measured by lasers and adjusted to be correct, accurately enough that you would never be able to tell if there was still any small error without waiting to watch the tire wear over 1000s of miles. Also wheel balancing, if it can't be seen by the machine then it doesn't exist!

I got 3 wheel alignments, and it only worked the 4 time when i went to a neutral shop, still it cost me a set of front wheels cuz they was chewed up before the wheels was aligned.
Dont think the #1 place did any test drive., the place where my wheels was finally aligned properly they did use a laser, don't think they did at the dealer where i got my car from and worked.
#1 place was the Mitsubishi / Saab dealer where i worked, so this also made it more easy to quit that job.

I got 3 wheel alignments, and it only worked the 4 time when i went to a neutral shop, still it cost me a set of front wheels cuz they was chewed up before the wheels was aligned.
Dont think the #1 place did any test drive., the place where my wheels was finally aligned properly they did use a laser, don't think they did at the dealer where i got my car from and worked.
#1 place was the Mitsubishi / Saab dealer where i worked, so this also made it more easy to quit that job.
It's a bit worrying that manufacturer approved dealers don't know how to do a simple job like aligning the wheels, but yes, definitely best to take it to an expert tire shop which has decent machinery for the job because they spend all day every day doing that job. Having said that, my car is currently aligned by myself after I came to the conclusion that the tire shop's machine was setting it wrongly for some reason (software bug?/incorrect database?), the tyres are now lasting over twice as long, give better fuel mileage, and it corners better.

I do recall the place that actually fixed my front wheels, well he had to add shims to do it.
I cant recall why the allignment whent off, i also dident crash that car ( Mitsubishi L 200 ) and i did not really off road the car aside for the 1 time when i put my land rover fanboy friend in his place.

I think most cars only have adjusters for toe angle, the other angles can only be adjusted using shims, so that is perfectly normal. Although something must have had a knock for it to need it, or maybe a rubber suspension bush was not in good conditon.

Has Firestone reached out to you? Try to get a refund for the cost of services at least. Maybe $5k to take down the video :LOL:

Bridgestone/Firestone Corporate finally reached out to me after I tagged them in a post on Instagram and mentioned that they sent me coupons in lieu of offering a refund.

Wondering why it needed a test drive?
A wheel alignment and oil change doesn't warrant one, yet apparently you knew it was taking place...

Yeah, I knew that he took it out for a test drive. I didn't think anything of it since they're professionals and I didn't know any better. And it's still unclear to me how necessary a test-drive actually is. I've been involved in many online threads where this topic has come up lately. And the majority of people say it's necessary while a devoted few say that it's not. So I don't know.

This has all gotten pretty crazy with the media getting involved. Since the original story aired, I had another reporter from a competing news outlet contact me for an interview. I ultimately declined since Firestone did finally reach out to me and I was getting so much attention on Facebook that it got to be overwhelming. But since she had my video and a few statements from me, she decided to run with it anyway. She went to the Firestone location and interviewed the manager who eventually said that the employee no longer worked there.

Outcome from Firestone:
They refunded me the cost of the oil change and the cost of the lifetime alignment warranty that I purchased in 2017. So, $231 in total.

Yeah, I knew that he took it out for a test drive. I didn't think anything of it since they're professionals and I didn't know any better. And it's still unclear to me how necessary a test-drive actually is. I've been involved in many online threads where this topic has come up lately. And the majority of people say it's necessary while a devoted few say that it's not. So I don't know.
The oil change definitely doesn't need one if it is just a change of oil, you could run the engine for a few minutes, but you would need to wait half an hour after before you could check the oil level again.

The alignment also doesn't need one if it is just a wheel alignment.

However, after a bit of reading it seems the USA is a bit different to the UK since in the USA it is quite likely that alignment problems are due to failed suspension rubbers or other suspension components and just aligning the suspension may not solve the problem. Here in the UK it is reasonable to assume that all the suspension rubbers are in good condition since they are tested annually by the mandatory government test, they don't take it for a road test though, they inspect the suspension movement on a test machine, which is very useful since it tells me which bushes need replacing long before I can feel any issue:

Outcome from Firestone:
They refunded me the cost of the oil change and the cost of the lifetime alignment warranty that I purchased in 2017. So, $231 in total.
Not sure the amount is important since it didn't cost you anything, no damage, no speeding tickets.
It is good for them to know that they can't get away with these things though.

It is a matter of principle and trust, for me personally a very big thing in my life, and what often hold me back in making new relations, or keep a job.
I don't mind going the extra distance, but if i find out thats just me thinking like that, then i flip at once to feeling abused and ridiculed, and that just don't fly in my world.

On the internet it is easy for me cuz here i don't have the same expectations about others or myself, cuz the physical distance between us make it so i cant be there for anyone like i would like to.
And for me a big part of actual relations and friendship is actually being there when needed. ( just words and sympathy don't do much for me )
My one friend never have to ask me to help him with something, he just make sure i know he have so and so plans, and then i will call him up and say lets do it.
And then some times he say we cant do that cuz i dont have so and so ready, but we could do this and that instead.

former mechanic here: i always test-drove every vehicle before and after an alignment. sometimes the pre-drive revealed problems that had nothing to do with the alignment, or that it didn't really need one after all. sometimes it's as simple as a low tire (plug the nail-hole), a radial pull from a defective tire, or even a completely unrelated problem that the customer self-diagnosed incorrectly. quite often people would say it needed an alignment even though it drove arrow-straight, and it turned out that they thought the steering wheel shaking (whether only at highway speed (wheel balance) or only while braking (warped rotors)) meant it needed an alignment. i've also had to explain to people that most cars and even many trucks/suvs need more than just a FRONT-end alignment - with independent rear suspension, you need to adjust the rear as well - and do it before adjusting the front wheels, because changing the rear changes the thrust angle.

another good reason for a post-alignment test drive is in case the alignment machine was faulty, accidentally selected wrong year/model in the computer (which means wrong specs), or if you perhaps didn't install/calibrate the wheel sensors properly, or they came loose during the alignment, or even because of a bent vehicle wheel that isn't obvious when it's not spinning. it's rare, but i have had to re-do alignments because of those reasons, and i'd much rather re-do it BEFORE i give the vehicle back to the customer.

the only time i ever pushed a customer's car hard is if they specifically said that the problem happened under hard acceleration/braking/steering/whatever. my favorite was when the dealership's owner hit something in his 911 carerra 4s, he came to me specifically because he knew i raced and was an instructor to boot. thankfully i was able to find the problem, and it actually did need to be pushed close to the limits to find it - under normal driving it was fine. that wasn't easy to do on public roads, but me being me, i knew a few places i could get away with it. ;) turned out the front strut and control arm had very minor bends (had to measure the control arms and compare to find the difference - there was no obvious damage to the arm), and in hard left turns, it was just enough to make some weird noises that didn't show up in hard right turns.

Last edited:
former mechanic here: i always test-drove every vehicle before and after an alignment. sometimes the pre-drive revealed problems that had nothing to do with the alignment, or that it didn't really need one after all.
likewise, to think that someone wouldn't test drive a car that was in for an alignment is crazy

At least least the Firestone mechanic didn't take it on a 450 km Test drive or get toll charges.

I have had my camera disconnected once or twice after returning from the shop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wozzzzza Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you) 13
Back