first accident recorded on a dash carm

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
On Tuesday of this week, after owning dashcams for two and half years, I recorded my first accident

This is the edited version. I stopped up the street and gave my phone number. This the front channel only, my rear channel shows only one person (aside from myself) checking to see if the drivers and passengers were ok.

Nasty!

That was a hard hit and a good catch.
Hope everyone was wearing seatbelts!

That was a hard hit and a good catch.
Hope everyone was wearing seatbelts!

I cut out the final 10 seconds of the clip, but in what I cut out, the driver of the mininvan got out. If you look closely at the dashboard, you will see the air bags.

That's some good footage right there. Including the "oh sh&t" :D

Would you be kind enough to send the video footage to the East Collision Reporting Center.
Its for Scarborough area.

Tel : (416) 808-4960

Contact them and inform them of the footage you have. They will tell you where you can upload it.

Its open 7 days a week, all year from 6:00 am to Midnight.

Would you be kind enough to send the video footage to the East Collision Reporting Center.
Its for Scarborough area.

I don't work far from the West centre (though I live on the east side). When I called them - the guy I spoke too said no. But I will call again.

I have emailed the video to both parties in the accident.

I'm guessing its the white SUV who's at fault in this accident.

The car in the black vehicle has right of way.

It would be interesting to know the state of the traffic lights.

If the lights turned red and the white SUV was stuck in the middle, the white SUV has right of way (I think).

Since the light turned green for you shortly after, it looks like the white SUV did have right of way.

He had to get out of the center lane.

The black car looked like it ran its orange/red stop light.

Black car is at fault in this accident.

Since the light turned green for you shortly after, it looks like the white SUV did have right of way.

He had to get out of the center lane.

The black car looked like it ran its orange/red stop light.

Black car is at fault in this accident.

Thats exactly what I thought, and curious who did he give his phone number to?

Silver car doesn't give way to black car, silver car at fault. Argue all you want but the way to do it is only turn in front of oncoming traffic if you see them about to stop. Only fools think that just because their Orange lights came for 3/4/5 seconds it must mean the oncoming traffic should stop.

Glad you stopped to check on them and assist. Not many people do.

One thing I might suggest is to raise the camera up; it's a lot of hood and being able to see the traffic lights would be helpful in this situation and also if you ever get into your own situation.

Silver car doesn't give way to black car, silver car at fault. Argue all you want but the way to do it is only turn in front of oncoming traffic if you see them about to stop. Only fools think that just because their Orange lights came for 3/4/5 seconds it must mean the oncoming traffic should stop.
Agree, but we don't know how lights are planned there. What would you say, if it was dedicated left and red for the straight/oncoming traffic? We have such intersection, and I ALWAYS wait for 3-4 seconds post dedicated green left, because I know some idiot is going to run red light, so unless everyone is stopped, I never turn left, be it dedicated left.

Glad you stopped to check on them and assist. Not many people do.

I working on combining three video clips, with the rear channel showing only one person went to check after I moved out of the intersection. There is a bus stop with about a dozen people there

One thing I might suggest is to raise the camera up; it's a lot of hood and being able to see the traffic lights would be helpful in this situation and also if you ever get into your own situation.

Agreed. It got knocked around or adjusted improperly. I should get in the habit of checking weekly. I read a license plate once out loud, only to find the audio was turned off.

Agree, but we don't know how lights are planned there. What would you say, if it was dedicated left and red for the straight/oncoming traffic? We have such intersection, and I ALWAYS wait for 3-4 seconds post dedicated green left, because I know some idiot is going to run red light, so unless everyone is stopped, I never turn left, be it dedicated left.

True, but what gives it away as green light but not green arrow is the fact the silver car was waiting half way in the intersection for the first 3 seconds (even if we can't see it) the car behind it was also waiting in the intersection, look how far back the stopped silver suv is.

True, but what gives it away as green light but not green arrow is the fact the silver car was waiting half way in the intersection for the first 3 seconds (even if we can't see it) the car behind it was also waiting in the intersection, look how far back the stopped silver suv is.
Not a reliable indicator. Here we have dedicated green turn arrows that are also flashing yellow when approaching traffic has green - it's legal to execute the turn if traffic permits. When light turns red for oncoming traffic turn arrow goes green. Quite common for turning vehicles to be in the intersection in this situation.

Yeah, Like you say if traffic permits..... if it doesn't then you cause a collusion like this.

Yeah, Like you say if traffic permits..... if it doesn't then you cause a collusion like this.
The point I was trying to make was that there is insufficient information in this video clip to determine what driver is at fault. Too many unknowns...

Here is the full clip. With myself approaching the light. It appears this is no advanced green for the left hand turn. There is a university campus within a 2 minute walk from the intersection, with numerous pedestrians. Its surprising there is no advanced green. Not only that, but left turns on that intersection should be restricted to advanced green only - in my opinion.

[

What do you mean by no advance green?
Light turned green for OP 2 seconds after collusion.

Back