First buy

Gintas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys, im new to this forum and new to the dash cams.
Thinking of getting one of the dash cams for a truck (So it needs to be with the bracket which fits vertical windscreen).
The main priority is the best quality at night (cause im working on night shifts) and wide lense angle (no less 170 degree).
All other features are not so important if i can get it cheaper.
But if i will have to strech my budget to ~£150 i expect it to do everything for me - gps, motion detection, etc etc... but again, mani priority is quality at night..
if you could give me any advice wich one to choose for a truck it would be very helpfull to make a desicion.
As its a thousands of different models arround and after spending hours of research just got more confused.

Thanks

Welcome to forum.
How important is dashcam form-factor ( design ) ?

Hi, no unfortunately im changing trucks, so it can be left over night, it has to be on a suction cup.
and yes, it has to be only front facing camera.

Design is as best as i can get, but thats not main priority.

Overal looking for good quality product.

There are a handful of cams that would work.

Here's a video from last night, comparing the night video of a low end dash cam, with that of a cam I suggest, a Mobius. The mobius has the C lens, I think it's the current version 'C'. (need to check.)
The Mobius is small,reliable. Not sure about the UK prices, but you'd also want to buy the add-on super capacitor.

The Ausdom A261 is a nice cam, with decent night video. The minor downside is it has an internal battery, not a capacitor. Not sure about UK prices, but if you find a deal on this one online, it's a nice camera.

Another 'sleeper' you may find a good price on is the Papago GoSafe 110.
It comes with a capacitor, but the OEM mount is an adhesive type.
I'll guess a mount for a different papago model that has a suction cup may work also.
(Many dash cams have t-slot' type mount attachment, but I'm not sure how universal they are across manufacturers? )

The GS 110 was a nice camera overall, night video was good, and motion detection actually worked. (Rare)

What would you recomend talking about resolution, i have found few models of KEHAN brand and they looks quite good for me,
But the question:
One of them is super hd with Resolution: HDR 1920*1080 30fps, 2560*1080 30fps, 2304*1296 30fps, 1920*1080 60fps, 1920*1080 30fps, 1280*720 60fps;
The other one HDR 1920*1080 30fps, 1920*1080 30fps, 1280*720 60fps, 1280*720 30fps but this one is half price of the first.
Does the sensor difference between those two will make a difference to read a number plates at night.
Cause youtube recordings are not accurate. The quality is changed slightly on youtube then original video from sd card.

I wouldn't worry about reading number plates at night unless the vehicle is 5-10 feet ahead of you, with any camera.
:)

I'd stick with a camera that has a following, online, preferably on this, or other large forums.

MOST of the problems you'll have with decent cams can be solved with help from 'enthusiasts', and usually product support for most dash cams doesn't exist.
(There are a few exceptions)

I went through a handful of 'no name' dash cams I never could get to work, or work well before I got the first cam to work reliably.

Are you looking to film a remake of 'Lawrence of Arabia', or have a dash cam that yields decent, usable video that will protect you in driving?

More $$$ doesn't always yield more usability or better quality in dash cams.

i agree with you, but when paying for high end dash cam i expect to it be top of the line. otherwise it is no point too invest lots of money and worth to go for budget ones.

See what niko has you like. Dealing with a reputable supplier in your country is a big plus.
You can't always trust the specs and claims the manufacturers and retailers post online. Some of the reviews you see posted in various places are worse.

If you start with a cam that has some following, and mostly positive regard on this site, you can save a few months of fumbling and quite a bit of money.

The original mobius I bought 2.5 years ago is still working, after spending two years mostly running 24/7 in a tractor trailer. I usually have 2 dash cams running in my truck, and a mobius is usually one of them. Not cutting edge stuff, but reliable, and tweakable. :)

Regarding the KEHAN brand, just a word of warning - they are NOT an American company, as they falsely claim to be. They are a Chinese comapny, which set up their (so-called_ "headquarters" in California...yet, their offices are actually located in Shenzhen, China. If you go to their website, scroll to the bottom, and click on the 'About Kehan' link, under "Get to Know Us", read what's there very carefully. There are obvious spelling & grammar errors indicative of non-American companies. I could be wrong (actually, I'd love to be wrong), but, as far as I am aware, there is only one true American manufacturers of quality dashcams - Cobra - although, rating-wise, they don't tend to rate very higly. The great majority are Korean, with most of the remaining top/known brands being Chinese, Taiwanese, & Japanese. In saying all of this, I am not attempting to say that KEHAN products are low quality...I've never owned any. However, when you have a company pretending to be "American", and attempting to convince people of this lie, then I highly question everything else about such a company.

I doubt Cobra manufacturers anything in the US. About Cobra 'quality'....well..............

I doubt Cobra manufacturers anything in the US. About Cobra 'quality'....well..............:)

My comment wasn't about Cobra, nor was I attempting to claim their dashcams are "quality" products. I, also, wasn't attempting to make any claim of their products being manufactured in the US...like most, they're probably made in Asia. I was merely pointing out the fact that they are a true American company, meaning that they were founded in America, as well as maintain their headquarters AND offices in America. The primary point of my comment was that this other company, which (falsely) claims to be an "American" company is NOT.

The original Mobius is a very reliable cam and unbeatable for the low price. As non-top-end cams go it's night vids are good but not great. You'll have to pay a lot more to do somewhat better at night. To get great vids at night costs a lot; that is the toughest thing to get a dashcam to do. Mobius ships without a mount, PS , or cabling so there's a little extra cost but you'll end up with the cables and mount you want instead of accessories you can't use but had to pay for anyway. The mount is the standard 1/4-20 camera tripod thread and any bolt of that size fits. I run a DIY mount with such a bolt.

No matter the cam, get a good card for it. 32GB does about 4-5 hours, 64GB doubles that. Read the cam-specific forums here to help you select the sd card. Get used to 'scanning' the cam once in awhile like your engine gauges. Play with the settings to get the best results. Check and format the card every 6 to 8 weeks, and always format in the cam, not your computer.

I think you'll like the Mobius.

Phil

Back