First Dash Cam Compilation

Kip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
JooVuu X, Shadow GT550WS, Blacksys CF-100 (dead & gone)
It's been a long time time in the making (at least it feels that way to me), but, I've finally finished it! Nothing too exciting going on, just the general moments of madness you often see, but this is all early days kinda footage. Future compilations will hopefully get better as to what I include.

EDIT: New version is up, hopefully audio is better now.

Next project is a night sample of my CF-100 which I need to rework, and will also include the rear cam too (don't think I'll post that here though, unless asked to).

Looking for honest feedback on what you like or didn't like, since it is my first ever go at this. :p

Last edited:
the music got rather repetitive after a minute or so.

also the music was SO much louder than any speaking you had in the car, that even though you turned down or muted the music at times, i still couldn't hear anyone talking unless i wanted to really BLAST that repetitive music. i normalize each of my clips over as many frames as possible to keep it smooth (no obvious steps in teh volume) but also to be able to hear what we're saying in the car. i only add music in the intro, outro, and any sections where i don't have audio at all, such as my usual montage of unique vehicle sightings.

in my compilations, i don't bother trying to get people's license plate numbers. I figure if people really want that they can freeze frame and capture it themselves. i'm not a cop, and the point of my videos is not to name and shame bad drivers, which is part of why i don't call my compilations "bad drivers of houston" or whatever. and that's not just because there's already a guy in houston making videos called "bad drivers of houston ##".

it never occurred to me to capture the speed graphic from the blacksys player software and then insert it in the video. i might steal that idea from you. ;)

anyway - good collection of clips, and thanks for adding comments so those of us not familiar with your laws (or roundabouts in general, since they're so rare in the US) can understand the humor or dangerous-ness of what you're showing in the clip. the comments are also good if we like to watch with the audio muted, so perhaps you could add "subtitles" for when someone's speaking, like i did in the last clip in my first video (and ironically, haven't done since)... course some of that could be me getting lazy about making videos, and helps explain why it's april and i still haven't finished my compilation from december. :rolleyes:

btw - what did you use to edit the video?

Looking for honest feedback on what you like or didn't like, since it is my first ever go at this. :p

I didn't see anything wrong with the guy overtaking you at 01:15 other than you were driving in an overtaking lane but you weren't overtaking. (people who live in glass houses and all that :D)
Likewise with the driver in the blue Kia at 01:30, other than he/she didn't bother to indicate before changing lanes.

@Gibson99,

I can understand now how the music could bother some people, others might like the added touch though. Given all the edits required to put it in, I probably won't bother next time just on the effort needed.

I guess I never noticed how much louder the music was in comparion to the dashcams recorded audio. I was using headphones while editing but even so, I should have noticed that. Using headphones though, I can easily here what is being said. Maybe this is why I didn't notice.

On plate numbers, eveyone has a different opinion. Mine is, that I will include them if I feel they should be named and shamed for how they have behaved. They passed their test, they know how they should be driving, but choose to go against that. I'm not a cop either, to be honest, I wouldn't want to be as they put themselves at risk for the sake of everyone else. I don't care enough about 'everyone else' to want to put myself at risk the way they do. But I'm glad some do, and respect those who do. The best thing I can do is to name and shame those who wrong*, and maybe one day, more people will start to realise that they may be filmed when doing illegal stuff on the public roads, and maybe people will eventually start to behave. Lots of maybe's there I know, but it is possible.

*And by wrong I mean seriously or deliberately wrong, not little hiccups here and there that we all make, those are forgivable.

You are welcome to try to capture the speed from the Blacksys player. :P It is not easy getting it perfectly synced and requires a bit of effort for each clip, but, if you find a good method please do share in the Blacksys sub-forum. :) The biggest headache for me is how bad/laggy the Blacksys player is when trying to do anything with it, but that could just be my 5-6 year old laptop's 2.1Ghz Phenom II X3 Mobile choking to death.

Using proper subtitles is a good idea but I have no idea how to implement them with my comments, which is already using the subtitle function in the software I'm using. :P

In the end I settled for NCH VideoPad for this one as I'd started it with that and it seemed to work pretty well. I will need play around with Linux and Kdenlive at some point but have no motivation for that just yet. VSDC just refused to work, however, I may have used VSDC's screen record function to get the speed from the Blacksys player. Then again, I might have used the NCH screen recording tool, it was a while ago now. :P

@Error7,

In the UK, we have this thing called the 2 second rule, you've probably heard of it: "Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule". Both those cars on the motorway pulled into my lane too soon after passing and left me with approx. 1 sec gap, which I do not appreciate, regardless of how fast they are pulling away from me. Crashes at those sorts of speeds are not funny. Also, 2 seconds is only a MINIMUM gap, 4 seconds on wet roads, more is always better.

I was in the middle lane as I was no doubt passing another car who's speedo probably said 70mph, as mine also did, except my cars 70 was ever so slightly quicker than theirs. You see this with two HGV's, both at 56mph but one going a little quicker, often taking several miles to complete the overtake. I don't cut people up, and do pull back into the left lane as I was taught by my instructor, giving them a safe gap. This would mean sitting in the middle lane for a while after passing if our speeds are quite close. The blue Kia, when pulling back into my lane, would not normally need to indicate as it is a given assumption that they will move back over after overtaking (unless a signal would benefit someone), you only need to signal to pull out to overtake, and only then if it would be of a benefit to anyone else (in this case, usually yes).

I thank you both for your comments. The motorway clips are not as clear as to see what was wrong (despite adding text to video) and you have to remember the camera sees things a little differently than the driver as it is higher up and ahead of the driver. The camera doesn't give the same spacial awareness as being in the drivers seat or the feeling of speed. Nevertheless, I will avoid these sort of clips if I have to explain myself each time I use one.

Yeah the other thing the wide angle lens does is distort distance. I had a big rig (lorry) cut me off big-time - only a few feet from the back of his trailer to my front bumper, but in the video it looked like almost an entire car length!

As for syncing the speed, as long as you start (or trim) the speed video so it lines up with the beginning of the clip, you can sync it the same way you can sync the front and rear channels from the cf100 - drop them on the timeline and make sure they're lined up, then apply transitions or overlays to superimpose one over the other.

Only hitch I'll have doing that is that I do all my editing in Linux, and of course the blacksys player is Windows only. Yes I dual boot but basically the only reason I have Windows is for games. Yes, steam runs in Linux, and the games I own have been ported, but they don't play as well in Linux. That, and the files split by my script don't have the GPS info anymore.

New version is up now, hopefully the audio is better, no other changes really. Sorry Gibson, I've left the music in for this one but it is quieter now.

First night sample is done (not uploading today), which is basically town driving late at night, includes rear camera too. I'll do another separate video showing totally unlit rural, motorway and/or fast main single carriageways. No audio to go in these ones. :p

It's a shame there isn't a script that can extract the GPS data, which we could then load up into one of many GPS route/tracker type programs... :rolleyes:

New version is up now, hopefully the audio is better, no other changes really. Sorry Gibson, I've left the music in for this one but it is quieter now.

First night sample is done (not uploading today), which is basically town driving late at night, includes rear camera too. I'll do another separate video showing totally unlit rural, motorway and/or fast main single carriageways. No audio to go in these ones. :p

It's a shame there isn't a script that can extract the GPS data, which we could then load up into one of many GPS route/tracker type programs... :rolleyes:
If I had any clue as to how it was embedded, I'd take a stab at it. But chances are it's in a 4th track in the avi file, and also includes the g-sensor data... Which would also be neat to include in the video, especially if you're recording racing on a track!

Most of the clips were OK, which made it seem like you are a guy who overreacts to everything.

Back