First dash cam so bear with me

John Edgington

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. This is just one really good site for info so I wonder if one or more of you can help. I am about to purchase me first dash cam here in the UK and its between the A119, A119S or the new WR1. I like the look of all of them as I want something discreet and one that I can take off when the car is not being used soooo here are my questions.

On the A119/119S does the GPS module allow use of the suction adapter.
The formatting of cards seems to be quite technical so can someone tell me how to format one of these cards on PC as I dont have an old dash cam available. I do have a reasonably new lap top however so maybe there is an SD slot in it

IMO the wedge shaped A119 and A119S would look a lot more discreet than the WR-1. GPS module can't be used with the optional suction mount.

Pop the SD card straight into the camera and format, no need to format on the laptop.

IMO the wedge shaped A119 and A119S would look a lot more discreet than the WR-1. GPS module can't be used with the optional suction mount.

Pop the SD card straight into the camera and format, no need to format on the laptop.

Thats great thank you

Does the camera shake or vibrate with this or is it steady?
I haven't had any shaken video. I never go off road. Its more lose that the tape for sure, and if you press the button it will move a little.
The reason I use the tape is, its easy to move them around, when I want to compare cameras or in rental car.
Nothing is perfect, but a compromise.

I have found they are best formatted in the camera, never do mine on PC now, and I format between 3-5 times a week, some days several times a day depending on where I've been as you can't get out until you do this and they stand there and watch that you do.

I have found they are best formatted in the camera, never do mine on PC now, and I format between 3-5 times a week, some days several times a day depending on where I've been as you can't get out until you do this and they stand there and watch that you do.
With all due respect "3-5 times a week, some days several times a day" You are talking about formatting yes? o_Oo_Oo_O

Sutton YES, I try to remember to format every day but often forget, certain places I go to I have NO CHOICE, otherwise I have to leave car at gate house and walk miles often carrying gear which is a no no, I did discuss this aspect with some one who manufactures dashcams on here and am assured given the lifetime of the card I will not live long enough to see any problems, indeed I have been doing this at least 5 YEARS with no problems yet, if I do not format when told to I will likely be arrested by trigger happy security!!

I use 3M Dual lock. It make it easy to take camera with you. You have to purchase it by yourself

Yep and totally different strengths compared to standard Velcro which still has it uses

They do know that formatting in the camera does not delete any data? All it does is remove the file pointers from the file allocation table, the video is still there!

Sutton YES, I try to remember to format every day but often forget, certain places I go to I have NO CHOICE, otherwise I have to leave car at gate house and walk miles often carrying gear which is a no no, I did discuss this aspect with some one who manufactures dashcams on here and am assured given the lifetime of the card I will not live long enough to see any problems, indeed I have been doing this at least 5 YEARS with no problems yet, if I do not format when told to I will likely be arrested by trigger happy security!!
Am I the only one that has no clue to what you are trying to explain? If so please forgive me

I don't think there's a strict rule on how often you should reformat your card, I do mine usually every couple of weeks, and honestly I tend to do it in the laptop when I'm collecting clips of incidents.

Further to the OP's question, If the desire to be able to remove the dashcam is for security reasons, not wanting it to be left in the car unattended, wedge cams are very discreet and not the usual kind of dashcam targeted by thieves

Tabetha works in some very security-sensitive locations where taking pictures and video is not generally allowed. They want to see for themselves that there is none of that leaving those locations, thus the requirement for formatting or erasing the card every time you leave ;)

Phil

Tabetha works in some very security-sensitive locations where taking pictures and video is not generally allowed. They want to see for themselves that there is none of that leaving those locations, thus the requirement for formatting or erasing the card every time you leave ;)

Phil
Now I finally get it.

I even catch the odd person or two affairs too ha ha!!

Back