First Huawei, now Hikvision

This is the problem with letting virtually all electronics manufacturing go from America, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan to China.

Only route to take to maximize profit, and sadly profit are what drive the game.
And this approach to things bring with it a lot of negatives too, things that the people in charge will tip toe around cuz its not their problem with their shameful wages and pension deals.
So its us regular Joe's that again will have to face the problems.

There are a few ways to negate this problem, but really none of them are nice for us little guys, and so they are not nice for the people in charge cuz making such changes are not something that bring in votes.

Only route to take to maximize profit, and sadly profit are what drive the game.
And this approach to things bring with it a lot of negatives too, things that the people in charge will tip toe around cuz its not their problem with their shameful wages and pension deals.
So its us regular Joe's that again will have to face the problems.

There are a few ways to negate this problem, but really none of them are nice for us little guys, and so they are not nice for the people in charge cuz making such changes are not something that bring in votes.

I can't really agree. I mean, the regular Joes will get screwed as always but in the matter of potentially compromised "spyware" chipsets coming out of China even the "the people in charge" will end up paying the price.

Yes wouldn't it be nice, but off course they will rub it off on us ASAP, with something like well we told you but you dident give us the funding or we couldn't pass the laws to prevent this due to liberals in ( folketinget / congress )
I saw a Danish tec TV program visiting Huawei and it seem they are worried too, literally pealing off layer by layer of hardware from sub contractors to see if there are any surprises added in that hardware.
i can only assume the same are done to mission critical hardware in our telecom infrastructure, okay probably not in Denmark, but serious countries they better do so or there are a high chance of getting screwed in some way.

I read FBI complained that apple have changed their procedure in regard to PW on encrypted devises, so instead of 45 PW tried every second now you can just do 1 PW try every 18 second
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...erks-and-evil-geniuses-for-encrypting-iphones

It do suck when everything are not served to you on a platter and that's what you have been used to all the time. :giggle:

Anyone who let's their surveillance equipment talk to outside and be accessible from internet is asking for trouble.
Yes , like Lexa(?) and internet connected homes. Spying on us little guys is probably from the NSA and that 5 Billion dollar new building in Utah!

I access our warehouse cameras from mobile, don't have an issue if the Chinese government wants to have a look in and keep an eye on things
Our enemies's goal is industrial espionage.
Our friends too, I think!

Yes wouldn't it be nice, but off course they will rub it off on us ASAP, with something like well we told you but you dident give us the funding or we couldn't pass the laws to prevent this due to liberals in ( folketinget / congress )
I saw a Danish tec TV program visiting Huawei and it seem they are worried too, literally pealing off layer by layer of hardware from sub contractors to see if there are any surprises added in that hardware.
i can only assume the same are done to mission critical hardware in our telecom infrastructure, okay probably not in Denmark, but serious countries they better do so or there are a high chance of getting screwed in some way.

I read FBI complained that apple have changed their procedure in regard to PW on encrypted devises, so instead of 45 PW tried every second now you can just do 1 PW try every 18 second
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...erks-and-evil-geniuses-for-encrypting-iphones

It do suck when everything are not served to you on a platter and that's what you have been used to all the time. :giggle:
How about that new sugar tax in Norway? I read retailers in Sweden are licking their chops anticipating cross border traffic to buy candy and other sugary treats. Stupid, nanny state Dems in New York City tried to regulate the size of a coke and it blew up in their faces!

I read a scientific piece some time ago that speculated that electronic circuits will soon be small and operating at the atomic level. You won't discover that with your 10x mag.

Yes regulators really got to do as little as possible, otherwise it end up as we so often see and that's then being stupid or ruining peoples life.

True they are down as 10 nanometers now and going smaller, in saftey we are getting things as quantum encryption and so on, mitigating man in the middle attacks and so on.
But one should never let ones guard down in regard to online security, there are parasites out there that will prey on every little mistake.

There probably are some 'nasties' hiding in imported electronics which might have a military use, and that is almost a certainty regards things where discovering trade secrets might give someone else the edge. Given human tendencies and history why would you expect otherwise? :rolleyes: If someone spied on me, I'd be the first person in history convicted of "murder by caused boredom" :ROFLMAO:

Phil

There probably are some 'nasties' hiding in imported electronics which might have a military use, and that is almost a certainty regards things where discovering trade secrets might give someone else the edge. Given human tendencies and history why would you expect otherwise?:rolleyes: If someone spied on me, I'd be the first person in history convicted of "murder by caused boredom" :ROFLMAO:

Phil

personally I think most of us would have more chance and bigger problems from our own governments spying on us than any overseas entity

For sure something i would roll back on if i became the dictator here, in general i feel its a waste in what ever name they use as a excuse.

Leave things be i say, and if some one go bad, then go medieval on his / her punk ass in a way that say " so you want to go bloody, well bring it on"

I actually think the session logging that was forced on ISPs here a while back are or will be stopped soon, and thank god for that one of the most tuupid ideas the idiots in the hole have come up with ( my version of "on the hill" the Americans use as i think Copenhagen where our government are is a hole in the ground )

This stuff is getting serious and real fast. All 3 major US carriers (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile) have now completely abandoned all Chinese suppliers in favor of Nokia and Ericsson for their 5G network builds. The US/Canadian charges against the recently arrested Huawei exec (who also happens to be the founder’s daughter) include everything from wire fraud, obstruction, conspiracy, supplying to Iran & NK, theft of US intellectual property, to espionage.

Now NATO also considers many Chinese companies a serious threat to NATO security and infrastructure: https://news.sky.com/story/nato-allies-in-ongoing-consultations-over-huawei-ban-11628655

On the presumption that one trusts this western intel, it should be a given any municipalities with public accountability should have absolutely zero business interests with these entities, as well immediately remove any existing installations (as many are now doing). But on an individual basis, I’m sincerely curious why people still choose to purchase devices from these companies (Huawei phones, Hikvision & DDPai cameras etc).

Is it lack of knowledge, rebellion/defiance or they just have zero Fs to give?

Part is that people may not know, part is people may not care, part is they may have nothing to hide (like me). I'm most interested in what a product does for me (performance, cost, features, reliability, security against hacking) than whether it may have some kind of 'back door' in it. Which almost everything probably does these days :eek:

It's the same as it's always been- the only truly secure system has to be stand-alone and totally disconnected from any other system making access impossible except from the inside ;)

Phil

Chinese built products for American and European and Japanese companies may also be compromised. That's the problem when you send all your manufacturing capability from the US, Europe, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan to China just to save a few cents, without regard for the long term implications.

Huawei have offered to work with GCHQ to let them go through their code to prove they're not doing anything that would report data back to the Chinese state.

At the end of the day Cisco could be doing the same with your data to the US government and Nokia and Ericsson could do the same for the EU.

I do sometimes wonder that a lot of sanctions the US makes against China are because they've had their noses put out of joint at the speed that the Chinese caught up and even overtook the US in certain areas.

China have by far the lead in patents granted for AI for example, an area that is exploding across various sectors https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019...ial-intelligence-patents-190131080732548.html

Huawei have offered to work with GCHQ to let them go through their code to prove they're not doing anything that would report data back to the Chinese state.

At the end of the day Cisco could be doing the same with your data to the US government and Nokia and Ericsson could do the same for the EU.

I do sometimes wonder that a lot of sanctions the US makes against China are because they've had their noses put out of joint at the speed that the Chinese caught up and even overtook the US in certain areas.

China have by far the lead in patents granted for AI for example, an area that is exploding across various sectors https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019...ial-intelligence-patents-190131080732548.html
If China really wanted to put spy code in the USA internet, the obvious way to do it would be to get a few Chinese employees in the USA companies to insert the spy code in their software, not put it in Chinese software! So GCHQ should be checking the USA equipment too, both for stuff put in by the Chinese and stuff put in by the USA, and when the USA refuse to let us inspect the source code we should stick with Chinese only, Huawei have already give GCHG good access...

Huawei them self actually plane off layers of sub contractor supplied equipment to see in something are embedded, at least so the said to a Danish journalist when he visited them and saw the process.
This along with X - ray are pretty common way on looking for embedded devises.
I am not aware this is done with anything in Denmark, that as it is now will have its first 5G network supplied by Huawei. by the biggest telecom provider TDC that at least are bank on Danish hands now.
/me assuming politicians asked pension funds to buy it back realizing the mess they created for the #2 time ( #1 being creating that company in the first place )

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lacibaci Home Security, Surveillance Cameras, IP Cams, CCTV 7
Back